PDA

View Full Version : digital audo extraction for CD playback

noliver1
2nd September 2004, 02:47 AM
Problem:
Playback of audio CDs fails because no analoge cable exists between cd player and soundcard or motherboard.
Solution:
Use XMMS that supports digital audio extraction.
Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins->CD Audio Player->click digital audio extraction

Comments;
Great except that Grip, CdPlayer do not (as far as me as a newbie is concerned) offer this digital/analoge preference!

CD Player is nice but it doesn't seem to do digital. Am I right? Can it be told to decode the audio digitally? Can Gnome 2.6 be configured to let applications decode audio digitally?

It would seem that under Gnome you need to have three programs to 1. XMMS listen to CDs via digital 2. SoundJuicer to rip and encode Oggs 3. Rhythmbox to organise and play.

Can someone shed light on this?

cheers

LittleGreyCat
8th September 2004, 11:11 AM
I am having the same problem with FC2.

The default CD player app. is gnome-cd which has about as many configuration otions as a no-options thing. :confused:
Gnome Help underlines the complete lack of configuration options.

I can configure XMMS to use the CD player plugin to play CDs digitally but I can't seem to get XMMS to recognise a CD in the CD drive.
So how do I activate the CD player plugin??
How do I make XMMS play an audio CD??

I know I can use CD Juicer to rip the CD to hard disc then use Music Player to play it, but this isn't exactly the best way to play audio CDs.

FC2 is supposed to be pretty leading edge and user friendly.

Compare this to WinXP where the main problem is stopping apps. playing your CDs because they all want to do it.
Each app. (e.g. media player) can handle multiple inputs, including CD.

I would expect an 'out of the box' distro. to be able to cope with relatively simple things like digital CD playback.

My system is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L which I bought because it was a budget machine and would allow me to work with Linux without breaking the bank.

Most budget machines have most of the significant hardware (video, network, sound) on the motherboard, so it is reasonable to expect that a lot of machines out there will not have extras such as a dedicated analogue sound cable. I suspect that (given the lack of headphone socket) my {CD R/W and DVD ROM} drive doesn't have a DAC in it so the cable would be of little use anyway.

What do entry level users want to do?

Email
Browse the web
Play CDs
Play DVDs
Play games
[Rip CDs probably]

If one of these things doesn't work, where it works in Windows, then another potential convert is turned back to the dark side. :eek:

I still haven't worked out how to modify properties associated with hardware devices (I suspect that most of this information on Windows is held in the Registry) .

The Hardware Browser tells you what you have, and where in /dev to find it, but doesn't seem to allow you to change anything.

I assume that under Linux (from previous Unix experience) there is either a global configuration file (with the option of a '.' file like '.profile' ) or a command line option to turn on individual features.

Doesn't seem to be anything for gnome-cd.

So what application should I use under FC2 to play audio CDs digitally?

TIA
Dave R

imdeemvp
8th September 2004, 11:21 AM
wait...wait.... you guys are saying xp can play cd's without a cable being connected from cd-rom to sound card or motherboard? I NEVER seen this before in all the xp installations i've done...if there is no cable there is sound playback from cd-rom/dvd....

littlegraycat,

gnome has a cd player under sound and video all you do is insert cd and it plays....i dont use xmms to play cds...

and if you guys are having problems with xmms try this: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1307

LittleGreyCat
8th September 2004, 11:51 AM
wait...wait.... you guys are saying xp can play cd's without a cable being connected from cd-rom to sound card or motherboard? I NEVER seen this before in all the xp installations i've done...if there is no cable there is sound playback from cd-rom/dvd....

littlegraycat,

gnome has a cd player under sound and video all you do is insert cd and it plays....i dont use xmms to play cds...

and if you guys are having problems with xmms try this: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1307

Well I just rebooted into XP (box came with it installed) and played my CD using Windows Media Player.

I took the lid off and confirmed that there is no seperate audio cable connected.
Just the usual IDE data cable.

Therefore Windows XP CAN play audio CDs without a seperate audio cable.

Couple of things I noted:

the drive has pinouts on the pack for digital and audio playback
there is no obvious plug on the motherboard for an audio cable.
[Now have to move the motherboard manual from the XP NTFS partition to my Linux setup so I can check the pinouts on the MB]

I am not using XMMS to play MP3 tracks (yet) I just picked up that there is a CD add-on which can be configured to read CDs digitally.
Just can't find how to get it to recognise CDs.
And yes, if I put a CD in and used gnome-cd (the CD Player pre-configured with Gnome) then no sound comes out.

So the problem remains.

How do you play CDs (normal, not MP3) digitally under FC2?

Cheers
Dave R

noliver1
8th September 2004, 10:08 PM
I can configure XMMS to use the CD player plugin to play CDs digitally but I can't seem to get XMMS to recognise a CD in the CD drive.
So how do I activate the CD player plugin??
How do I make XMMS play an audio CD??
---
I still haven't worked out how to modify properties associated with hardware devices (I suspect that most of this information on Windows is held in the Registry) .

TIA
Dave R

I agree, out of the box multimedia is not super in FC at least not like the more expensive distros like SuSE. However it is all to do with licensing and there is a quick way to set up your system.

First get XMMS and configure it to play digitally just like you have.
Next get the system to fire up XMMS when a CD is inserted.
Fedora Hat>Preferences>CD and DVD>Audio CDs>Run Command when Audio CD is Inserted [tick] then browse for the xmms program.
If you yummed xmms in as root then this should be /usr/bin/xmms
Lastly pop in some tunes and see if all works as advertised.

The problem is two fold. Gnome apps are philosophically plain and simple and there in lies the joy for devotees. Gnome fundamentalists actually meditate on the essential simplicity of programs. Secondly these apps are new and relatively undeveloped. One might add a third that proprietary support isn't a top priority for the writers of the apps.

I agree that it would make sense however to build a Fedora distrobution that played an audio CD 'out of the box'. This isn't possible at the moment because the default music player can't be told to read the audio disk digitally and can be explained because they haven't included that yet in the software (that I can see). You'd think it could be 'simple and beautiful' as well as play an audio cd digitally out of the box without having to rpm, yum, make fiddle tweak and so on....

Still if you've installed xmms and made it play an audio cd you are almost there, just make it auto launch on cd insert in the Preferences.

Cheers

noliver1

imdeemvp
9th September 2004, 05:23 AM
littlegraycat,

check the volume control center by right clicking in the volume icon and make use the cd-rom bars are not muted or lowered.

LittleGreyCat
9th September 2004, 09:06 AM
imdeemvp:
now even more confused.
I seem to have two different mixers shown in the volume control.
Realtek ALC650 rev 3 (OSS Mixer)
Intel 82801DB-ICH4 (Alsa Mixer)
Both list the CD.
The CD was muted on the Intel mixer.
Un-muting and fiddling with the volume bars didn't change anything (using CD player). However I don't think CD Player will play via the data cable.

noliver1:

my problem is that I can't get XMMS to even try to play a CD.
I get 3 options; play file, play folder, play location.
Play location will not accept /dev/cdrom.

If I configure the system to start XMMS when an audio CD is inserted, I will need the command line options to tell it to play the CD.
Do you know what these are?

TIA
Dave R

superbnerd
9th September 2004, 09:19 AM
to load a cd in xmms, choose "play folder" then choose /mnt/cdrom.
to auto start xmms and load the cd
1) go to preference and click cd/dvd
2) check box for "run command when inserted"
3) put "xmms --play /mnt/cdrom"

LittleGreyCat
9th September 2004, 09:50 AM
superbnerd:

spot on - thanks lots n lots!

I have also just found the documentation - but your response was exactly what I wanted to know when I first started :-))

Segment of documentation included here for completeness :-)

More comments at the bottom.

3.6.1.1 Cd Audio Player
-----------------------
Before I explain the usage we better have a look on the configuration
first.

Device tab
----------

Device:
Device
The actual device of your CD-ROM unit. On my system
I use /dev/cdrom which is a symlink to /dev/hdc.

Directory
This is where XMMS will "hijack" the filerequester and present
the content of the CD. On my system I have it set to
/mnt/cdrom, but if you're using some sort of automounter or
simmilar I suggest you change it to something like
/mnt/audio_cd and make sure the directory exists.

Play mode:
Analog
Analog playback requires that you have a cable connected
between the CD-ROM and the soundcard. Also it will not be
passed through any effect or visualization plugins.

Digital audio extraction
This allows XMMS to pass the sounddata through the effect and
visualization plugins.

Volume control:
This section is only active when you're using analog playback.

No mixer
You can't control the volume at all.

CDROM drive
The volume is controled directly on the CDROM, not all drives
support this though.
OSS mixer
The volume is controled through the OSS mixer

Check drive:
Makes a rudimentary check if everything is properly configured.

Remove drive:
If you have more than 1 drives configured this will remove the current
one.

Add drive:
If you have more than 1 drives on your system you can add another to
the plugin settings.

CD Info tab
-----------

CDDB:
CDDB is used to get track information for your CD from a CDDB
compatible database.

You can set the enviroment variable "XMMS_CDDB_CLIENT_NAME" to change
how XMMS presents itself to the CDDB server. Default value is
"XMMS 1.2.8"

Use CDDB:
Enable CDDB use.

Show network window:
Will open up a window containing useful debug information when
XMMS tries to do a CDDB lookup.

Get server list:
Press this button to get a list of alternative servers from the
server you've configured below.

CDDB server:
The CDDB server XMMS will use, default is 'freedb.freedb.org'

Track names:

Override generic titles:
By enabling this, the plugin will ignore the 'Title' settings
from XMMS (section 3.5.6).

Name format:
Works as explained in section 3.5.6 but you only have 4
available variables.

%p = Performer/Artist %t = Track name
%a = Album %n = Track number

Using the CD Audio Player plugin
--------------------------------

Now to add your CDROM tracks to the playlist. Insert an audio cd into the
CDROM drive and press the Eject button. Go to the directory which you defined
earlier ( /mnt/cdrom ) and you should see a list of tracks. They will be named
Track XX.cda, select the tracks you want to play and press OK. If you had
choosed an Internet database and the CD exists in it, XMMS will now display
the tracks you have chosen with their names according to the 'Name format'
configuration.

Now, that wasn't hard now was it?

Well, not that hard when I found the documentation.
However not really intuitive.
[Now playing 'rythm and stealth' by Leftfield and recognising more tracks that have been used in adverts]

I note that the PCM tool in the generic audio mixer controls the volume - the CD bars do nothing.

CDDB now working as well, with scrolling track titles.

Have configured for auto start - will test.....

Yep - works like a dream.

imdeemvp
9th September 2004, 10:48 AM
i am glad you were able to solve your issue....this will help others so we're going to share your very good how-to

and yes it works as described as i type this i am playing a Depeche Mode cd and its naming every song as it plays....

exellect jog littlegraycat....:P

LittleGreyCat
11th September 2004, 08:27 AM
Slightly embarrased by the praise.

All I did was cut and paste the relevant piece of documentation from

http://www.xmms.org/docs/readme.php

However it is good to have it in a thread, as it took me a while to find it :-)

imdeemvp
11th September 2004, 08:33 AM
as long as it helps others is cool.......:D