PDA

View Full Version : After update Kopete cannot connect to MSN/WLM

SpectrumDT
27th February 2009, 12:52 AM
Hello.

I am running Kopete 0.70.0, KDE 4.2.00 and Fedora Core 9. After my most recent update (upgrading to KDE 4.2, three days ago or so), Kopete is having trouble connecting to MSN/WLM. It gives no error messages (in GUI nor on the terminal), it displays "Connecting" as WLM status forever. Only once since the update have I been able to successfully log onto WLM.

Apparently Kopete does have some connection to the network, though. If I supply a wrong password, it promptly complains. But with the correct password, it just hangs in "Connecting".

Kopete connects correctly to Jabber, AIM and ICQ. It also connected (mostly) fine to MSN/WLM until the last update.

I have tried going to Configure Kopete -> Accounts -> WLM account -> Modify Account -> Connection and checking or unchecking "Override default server information". That seems to make no difference.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Demz
27th February 2009, 01:10 AM
have you tried to login to your actual WLM ID account to make sure no one has hacked the account?

SpectrumDT
27th February 2009, 01:17 AM
have you tried to login to your actual WLM ID account to make sure no one has hacked the account?

Thanks for the suggestion. But yes, I can still log in using aMSN.

Demz
27th February 2009, 01:26 AM
did you try changing the port it connects to . im sure if you do a google search you'll find all the ports MSN uses

SpectrumDT
27th February 2009, 01:47 AM
did you try changing the port it connects to . im sure if you do a google search you'll find all the ports MSN uses

According to various sources MSN just needs the port 1863, which is what Kopete is using. I have also tried to explicitly open this port in my firewall, but no difference.

Demz
27th February 2009, 03:55 AM
According to various sources MSN just needs the port 1863, which is what Kopete is using. I have also tried to explicitly open this port in my firewall, but no difference.

well that beats me what it could be?.. what about Selinux ?

SpectrumDT
28th February 2009, 11:55 PM
Turns out the problem was linked to one particular account. The account worked fine in aMSN, but Kopete hated it. But now I have migrated to a better account.

Thanks for the effort.

Demz
1st March 2009, 12:13 AM
you werent using Gmail by any chance with your WLM accoiunt?

SpectrumDT
1st March 2009, 12:15 AM
you werent using Gmail by any chance with your WLM accoiunt?
No, my old WLM was a Hotmail. My new one (which works), on the other hand, is a Gmail.

Demz
1st March 2009, 12:31 AM
interesting, wonder why that would make a difference though

SpectrumDT
2nd March 2009, 02:29 PM
Turns out the problem was linked to one particular account. The account worked fine in aMSN, but Kopete hated it. But now I have migrated to a better account.

Thanks for the effort.
Correction: The problem is not gone. Kopete is usually able to connect to my new account, but not always. It still never connects to my old one.

Demz
2nd March 2009, 11:40 PM
Correction: The problem is not gone. Kopete is usually able to connect to my new account, but not always. It still never connects to my old one.

sounds like it could be a kopete Bug itself? have you had a look in kopetes bugzilla

SpectrumDT
3rd March 2009, 12:15 PM
sounds like it could be a kopete Bug itself? have you had a look in kopetes bugzilla
Yes, you're right. I just checked but didn't find any matches, so I have filed a bug report (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=186032).

Hlingler
3rd March 2009, 02:55 PM
FWIW: kopete has been acting really weird here for a while (F10) - it won't close cleanly, and always pops up a crash error when closing or exiting the desktop. Therefore, I cannot remove spam contacts, and I have to re-create my accounts at each new re-start. <SIGH>.

V