PDA

View Full Version : Squealing/Chirping While in Linux

tsudeki
26th February 2009, 06:06 PM
I have an odd issue where my PC squeals and chirps while in FC10.

$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.x86_64

It seems that it's coming from my PSU or CPU, it's hard to tell. I asked a friend of mine and he suggested it was possibly an ACPI/Power saving setting that Linux and Windows did differently. I briefly disabled acpid but that did not resolve the noise issue.

I'm dual booting with Windows XP Pro and I do not experience this issue in windows.

I stopped the PSU fan briefly to see if that was the cause but the noise persisted. I know this is an issue that's really hard to troubleshoot without actually seeing the machine and taking parts out one at a time to narrow the noise down, but I thought I'd ask here first before I resorted to spending my evening dismantling my machine. :rolleyes:

tsudeki
26th February 2009, 06:30 PM
Update: The sound may or may not be related to running the Transmission BitTorrent client. Once my torrents were finished and I closed the client the sound seems to have stopped for now.

JohnVV
26th February 2009, 07:06 PM
Once my torrents were finished
so bittorent was checking the hash for the done file , this can cause the HD arm to move about A LOT if you are also doing other things .

bob
26th February 2009, 07:10 PM
Oh heck, it's just the sound of a happy PC working with a near-perfect OS. :D I notice it was quiet with XP.....:rolleyes:

Yes, you've probably nailed the reason there. I'd keep testing bittorrent to see if it's definitely the cause though.

Chilly Willy
26th February 2009, 08:37 PM
The description of the sound doesn't sound good for the computer though, it describes a HD about to crash or bad bearings in something. :eek: But there again, we only have the description to go on. ;)

tsudeki
26th February 2009, 09:17 PM
I will check out BitTorrent again to see if that is the issue. In XP I don't experience the same issue when using uTorrent, maybe it's the client?

I'll test a few things out and post here when I have an update. :) Thanks for the responses. :D