PDA

View Full Version : how to clean up left over obsolete packages no longer needed

dj-toonz
14th February 2009, 12:32 PM
hi all, when you install a software package in FC10 say for example wine, it installs loads of other stuff with it. but when you goto do su -c 'yum remove wine' it only removes the wine package, not the other stuff it installed with the package, how do you remove the other stuff. when i used to use Ubuntu. i could do sudo apt-get autoremove & autoclean to remove all the left over rubbish,. what i'm asking is how do you clean up the obsolete packages no longer needed by any other package installed on the system cheers

Hlingler
14th February 2009, 12:51 PM
yum install yum-remove-with-leaves

Then:
yum --remove-with-leaves <insert-package-name(s)>

But it's seriously busted (was last time I checked - we had a thread and a bug report that's still open ?). Search the forums, you'll find it....

V

dj-toonz
14th February 2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the reply, work's like a charm. i tried it with yum --remove-with-leaves wine first but it came up with no --remove-with-leaves :confused: then i tried yum remove wine and it worked, said it needed to erase 13 files, 13 files what got installed when i installed wine :cool, so it works 100% on my system. cheers again for teaching me something new that i didn't know about :D

Hlingler
14th February 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm glad to hear it's working as expected - last time I tried it, it wanted to virtually erase my OS !!!

V

bee
14th February 2009, 02:40 PM
he'll change idea soon :rolleyes: :p :p :p :p :D :D
I suggest to keep remove-with-leaves disabled by default, and manually enable that plugin only when you are going to uninstall something :D :cool: :cool:

To disable remove-with-leaves
Open this file:
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/remove-with-leaves.conf
and set:
enabled = 0
Using remove-with-leaves
Open a new terminal and type:

yum --enableplugin=remove-with-leaves remove packageslist

In that way, you could keep remove-with-leaves installed (and use it) without fearing to having your system wiped away at each update :p :p :D :D :cool:

bye!!!!!!:):):)

dj-toonz
14th February 2009, 06:34 PM
Thx Bee, a very good tip, I never even know you could disable Plugins without removing them :D & thanx for the advice, I've disabled it, I'll keep it on the machine just in case i need to remove a big software package again tho, cheers for the heads up

bee
14th February 2009, 07:16 PM
very good!!! :D :D you're welcome!!!!!! :D :D :cool: :)

bye!!!!!!:):):)

aleph
14th February 2009, 07:27 PM
You can also install the "yum-utils" package. It includes many useful package management tools, among which is "package-cleanup" that can be used to identify the no-longer-needed packages, among others.

dj-toonz
14th February 2009, 07:56 PM
this is what i've got enabled right now Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit. I have got yum-utils installed but how do you use them ? the leaves plugin has been disabled

Hlingler
14th February 2009, 09:54 PM
Read: man package-cleanup

Short story (run as root for best results):
> To find duplicate package: package-cleanup --dupes
> To find broken dependencies: package-cleanup --problems
> To find libraries not required by any other package(s): package-cleanup --leaves (CAUTION: just because a library is not REQUIRED does NOT mean it is useless - it may provide useful functionality feature(s) for other package(s)).
> To find all packages not required by any other package: package-cleanup --leaves --all (see CAUTION above)
> To find packages not originating from enabled repositories: package-cleanup --orphans

V