PDA

View Full Version : Help Applying for a New Job

carlwill
29th August 2004, 02:03 PM
I am going to apply for what looks and sounds to be a pretty simple position here in Orlando. I am just asking for some help...

They ask here the following

PROCEDURE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS:
Applicants are required to submit a letter of interest for this position and a resumé indicating qualifications as they SPECIFICALLY RELATE to the listed criteria. Individuals who are not currently employed with Orange County Public Schools must have an active application and references on file. It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit sufficient information to enable the screening committee to effectively evaluate his/her education, training, and experience. The letter and resumé will be evaluated as part of the screening process. Home phone number and/or business phone should be included on the resumé.

I don't know what should be included in a letter of interest? I also have to print out this long application and turn that in before the dead line as well as this letter & resume...

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Job Description Below

Sets up and installs new computers, monitors, printers, scanners, and peripherals; relocates existing equipment for the school or department.

Installs, upgrades, and configures new software, as well as network and device drivers for new or existing computers; tracks and inventories software.

Maintains site-based networks, computer labs, and mainframes.

Troubleshoots and performs minor maintenance on computers and printers; diagnoses, tracks, and solves hardware and software problems; initiates problem-solving methods where necessary.

Provides computer software application training to school or department personnel; schedules and holds training classes for e-mail, internet, and other software applications; configures e-mail for staff.

Conducts computer system training classes; creates computer system training schedule; creates computer system security records, memorandums, and help screens.

Assists users in using various software programs, i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.

Designs, revises, and stores certificates, forms, graphics, and letters for staff as requested; records television programming via VCR as requested.

Creates and maintains web sites for school; updates information on web page and other on-line information.

Operates a computer to enter, retrieve, review, or modify data; utilizes word processing, database, and software programs.

Coordinates maintenance to computer and technical equipment as needed; reports site license software.

Evaluates and purchases new computers, software, and other equipment; inventories and maintains a database of technical equipment.

Prepares school based technology plan.

regeya
30th August 2004, 02:54 AM
Essentially, you want to have an introductory paragraph reiterating what the position is, a brief description of your qualifications, and contact info. Yes, that's supposed to be on the résumé as well, but most employers expect a cover letter. EDIT: You should also include language that expresses personal interest in doing the job--but try not to sound too desperate or gushing. Keep it down to one page. The letter seems to be important these days. In fact, I've talked to HR types who'll simply throw away anything that doesn't contain a cover letter.

Get the darn thing proofed by someone else, too. I knew someone in college whose job was to read cover letters, and once a grammatical error was found, the résumé was discarded. That was her job, using grammatical errors to weed out potential applicants.

carlwill
30th August 2004, 10:13 PM
Great info - will do so ;)

crackers
31st August 2004, 04:20 AM
Be honest - and, if you get an interview, honest will get you more "brownie points" than making wild-ass guesses and looking like an utter idiot. Things like "I don't know the answer to that, but these are the steps I would take to find the answer and, as a guess, I would probably try this." I've always downgraded interviewees that try to smokescreen me...