PDA

View Full Version : which package starts services?

IrishBouzouki
2nd February 2009, 05:59 PM
what package is responsible in fc10(x86_64) for starting services on login?
if I (with gnome latest) have a service checked under System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions and even though it is checked it is not actually starting, but I can start it manually from a terminal window, what component is it that would be having the problem? the kernel?

thanks

Firewing1
2nd February 2009, 06:13 PM
The system service is handled by init (scripts are provided by the initscripts package), and once GDM has started then it all depends on your session. For Gnome, the "gnome-session" process spawns what you need to start a Gnome session such as gnome-panel, gvfsd and nautilus.

IrishBouzouki
2nd February 2009, 06:33 PM
The system service is handled by init (scripts are provided by the initscripts package), and once GDM has started then it all depends on your session. For Gnome, the "gnome-session" process spawns what you need to start a Gnome session such as gnome-panel, gvfsd and nautilus.

This is all referenced to using gnome, which I believe just updated this morning to 2.24.3.

So... I have an issue where gnome-power-manager does not start as a service on login even though it appears checked under the System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions tab page for Startup Programs. That would mean I should probably ask the associated bug reported against gnome-power-manager to be moved to (or added to) gnome-session, which would seem then to be the actual culprit?

Better yet, is there a log file that gnome-session uses where I might find information of use to someone in helping me get the g-p-m daemon to start at login?

Many thanks

Firewing1
2nd February 2009, 11:20 PM
Try looking inside ~/.xsession-errors. You may want to remove the file then re-login to make sure all the messages in there are fresh. I would also try running 'gnome-power-manager' from a terminal and check for error messages.

IrishBouzouki
2nd February 2009, 11:39 PM
xsession.errors, until this morning, used to spew out a couple warning about gnome-power-screensaver or some such but nothing the g=p=m devs remarked on in the bugzilla forum. (I do not have screensavers installed)

when I start g-p-m manually there is a warning re dbus not finding an owner for the screensaver (again) but that is it, and the daemon starts up just fine from the terminal.

But no joy automatically starting from the login.

I think I have some weird problem with the gnome-session package that it is not starting the g-p-m service. All the stuff I see points to that, and all the really basic items I have already looked at and reported to the bugzilla team, I just have no idea where to look further.

SEE FOLLOWING POST

IrishBouzouki
2nd February 2009, 11:43 PM
DIFFERENT VERSIONS, DIFFERENT TIMES, BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD BEEN SEEING...

xsession.errors

** (gnome-power-preferences:3736): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get owner
of name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-preferences:3736): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon
responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?
** (gnome-power-preferences:3736): DEBUG: already disconnected from
org.gnome.ScreenSaver

terminal when manually starting g-p-m

** (gnome-power-manager:3744): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get owner of
name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-manager:3744): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon
responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?

I am guessing these are innoccuous items related to not having screen savers installed?