PDA

View Full Version : Intel: Tearing Still Visible?

wswartzendruber
2nd February 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if the Fedora community has developed a solution for the video tearing problem that's been plauging Intel video drivers thus far. I'm running a GMA 4500MHD with X Server 1.6 RC2 and UXA (for DRI2). Compiz is enabled, and I'm still experiencing tearing. This applies to moving windows, playing 3D games, watching movies, everything... Compiz is set to use VBlank.

danwaineo
17th March 2009, 05:40 AM
It seems close...See this post:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2009-March/001608.html

That was posted early in March. I think the Fedora will probably have a fix in 11.

codergeek42
17th March 2009, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I also get some tearing and artifacts with combining OpenGL or XVideo and compiz. I'm going to try this with the F11 Beta when it's released next week though - that would make me so happy if it all worked properly together. :)

By the way, a very warm welcome to Fedora, wswartzendruber; and we hope that you enjoy your stay. :)

danwaineo
18th March 2009, 03:51 AM
codergeek42:

Please report back on your experience. I have a fedora 7 install on a G965 motherboard. I'm waiting to upgrade for the fedora version that doesn't have tearing. I'm using the computer for video with mythtv.

codergeek42
21st March 2009, 04:45 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! :D :cool:

I decided to just go for it and updated my system to today's rawhide, since I figured it's probably stable enough what with being beta-frozen and all.

So far, GEM and DRI2 were enabled by default (even with kernel modesetting for the initial framebuffer!), and I can watch movies easily with no tearing (tested with Totem playing my copy of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog"). OpenGL rendering (tested with the "tunnel2" Mesa demo) also works remarkably well, even with the window being wobbly and/or made transparent.

I'm using an GMA X3000 on a G965 desktop board though,so I'm not sure exactly how (or if) it would be different on your GMA 4500.

The only thing that really bugs me is that Compiz's "switcher" plugin is horribly sluggish for some reason; but changing that to the substitute "staticswitcher" makes that issue disappear. (Yes, I know. Hiding bugs isn't the way to get them fixed; but for my purposes and in this specific instance it suffices quite well.)

Looks like another Fedora 11 feature that's going to be a winner...now the big question of my weekend is: To whom do I owe drinks for this loveliness? :)

GaMt
6th April 2009, 12:27 AM
I have the Intel 845G card.. How can I update to the latest/fixed video card drivers?
(I'm a total newbie.. so commands would be appreciated.)

:)
Thanks.

danwaineo
6th April 2009, 07:21 PM
I have the Intel 845G card.. How can I update to the latest/fixed video card drivers?
(I'm a total newbie.. so commands would be appreciated.)

:)
Thanks.

It's probably going to be easiest for you to wait for Fedora 11. It's due to be out on May 26th.

GaMt
12th April 2009, 08:34 PM
May 26th.. Okay.. I'll wait.