PDA

View Full Version : f10 rawhide vs. f11 alpha

jerboyd
27th January 2009, 07:53 PM
i've just installed f10 on a spare partition with the intention of updating all my packages to rawhide and i'm wondering if this is any different than waiting till f11 alpha comes out and installing that. is it simply that the rawhide packages are still a little unstable or will the alpha release have new features that i won't get by upgrading an f10 installation to rawhide?

thanks

Thetargos
27th January 2009, 07:59 PM
It is pretty much the same, acutally. The Alpha will be like a Rawhide snapshot turned into a bootable image... Which is good, as you get to also test a few different things like Anaconda and SysLinux (the bootloader... though I do believe that recent images do use GRUB, syslinux still boots the install media IIRC)

jerboyd
27th January 2009, 08:07 PM
thanks for the advice. my rawhide updates have not even finished and i've already noticed some nice improvements. i.e. the new volume control dialogue is fantastic and simple. also, i can finally use a microphone and record audio which i have previously been unable to do. i'm really looking forward to being able to use all the nice features of my new pavilion laptop.

leigh123linux
27th January 2009, 08:21 PM
Moved to Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)

jerboyd
27th January 2009, 11:35 PM
as a side note nvidia drivers and compiz worked for me "out of the box". i used the akmod-nvidia and to install compiz just did a yum install fusion-icon and everything works fantastic.

AntMan
27th January 2009, 11:48 PM
Hmm... I may have to give rawhide a try on my test box. :rolleyes:

Trapper
2nd February 2009, 11:10 PM
thanks for the advice. my rawhide updates have not even finished and i've already noticed some nice improvements. i.e. the new volume control dialogue is fantastic and simple. also, i can finally use a microphone and record audio which i have previously been unable to do. i'm really looking forward to being able to use all the nice features of my new pavilion laptop.

Well, maybe the new volume control dialogue is fantastic and simple but my maximum output volume is now 1/4 of what it is in F10-F9-F8 & F7 on the same box and I'm finding no way to do something about that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or failed to read something pertaining to that. One thing is for sure though ... my max volume output is so low it's right next door to having no sound at all. Sure don't have that problem when the PCM and/or Front adjustment sliders are available, like they are in previous F versions.

Is there something I can hack to alleviate this difficulty?

RahulSundaram
3rd February 2009, 02:36 AM
Hi,

It is better to file bug reports in http://bugzilla.redhat.com and get the issues fixed rather than try to hack around the problem.

Trapper
3rd February 2009, 04:17 AM
Okay RahulSundaram. I'll do that. Thanks.

Trapper

marko
3rd February 2009, 04:29 AM
Well, maybe the new volume control dialogue is fantastic and simple but my maximum output volume is now 1/4 of what it is in F10-F9-F8 & F7 on the same box and I'm finding no way to do something about that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or failed to read something pertaining to that. One thing is for sure though ... my max volume output is so low it's right next door to having no sound at all. Sure don't have that problem when the PM and Front adjustment sliders are available, like they are in previous F versions.

Find one of the other mixers and make sure there's not a hidden channel set to really low volume? If you have KDE, try loading kmix and go to its menu and pick Settings -> "Configure Channels" and turn on all the channels and experiment with the levels. Those channels that do nothing can be hidden again but keep the "good" ones.

Thetargos
4th February 2009, 12:25 AM
Well, maybe the new volume control dialogue is fantastic and simple but my maximum output volume is now 1/4 of what it is in F10-F9-F8 & F7 on the same box and I'm finding no way to do something about that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something or failed to read something pertaining to that. One thing is for sure though ... my max volume output is so low it's right next door to having no sound at all. Sure don't have that problem when the PCM and/or Front adjustment sliders are available, like they are in previous F versions.

Well, when and if the issue is addressed upstream all will be fine (or when the issue is addressed in Bugzilla), in the mean time you can try to use alsamixer (yes, a terminal UI program) to adjust the volume levels.

Trapper
4th February 2009, 04:26 AM
Hi Thetargos,

Uniquely, alsamixer is only giving me a Master volume control for HDA NVidia ALC662 Analog. On F11 rawhide it's at 100% but the actual volume is much lower than it is on my F10 install. My F10 alsamixer also only gives me a Master volume control. It's at 72%. It's much louder than F11 at 100%. In F10 I also have adjustments for Master, PCM and Front in the Gnome sound applet. That's not the case in F11. Just an output master volume slider in the Gnome sound applet. I realize this is still rawhide but I am failing to see the "improvement" in the sound adjustments, etc. More like a lock in and loss of user control.

I was actually surprised that alsamixer in both F10 and F11 rawhide only offers up a Master volume control. I've always had more capability for adjustment in alsamixer than that, even with the most basic soundblaster pci cards of long ago.

Thetargos
4th February 2009, 06:30 AM
Forgot to mention that is the case with the default alsa-pulseaudio plugin installed, which is actually a good thing (but for other reasons), you need to provide alsamixer with an argument to be able to access the true card mixer, in this case it should be -c 0 (unless you have more than one audio card, the default usually goes to the PulseAudio default sink, which is what you get when invoking alsamixer without arguments), so call it like so:

alsamixer -c 0

That should work.

Trapper
7th February 2009, 01:37 AM
Thetargos ... alsamixer -c 0 worked for me. It allowed me to adjust all my mixer settings and resolved my issue of low max volume. Thanks for the tip.

Trapper