PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 11 Alpha release notes

RahulSundaram
26th January 2009, 09:49 PM
Hi,

Yes, the alpha release isn't out yet but I am posting the release notes early for some feedback from rawhide users. If there are important changes, that has been missed out, let me know and I will add them or better yet, get a Fedora account and edit the wiki. All help is welcome.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes

scottro
26th January 2009, 11:38 PM
Will the included grub boot ext4? If not, that should definitely be added--otherwise the users who don't use a separate /boot partition will get an error message while trying to install. (Or worse, someone who upgrades and following one the various howtos about upgrading their system, will find themselves with an ubootable system.

I haven't tried btfs, but again, similar caveats should apply--if grub won't boot it, or if it can't mount or be mounted by other file systems, that should be mentioned.

RahulSundaram
27th January 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi,

Users are not automatically upgraded to a new filesytem on upgrades and installs will default to ext3 on /boot and won't let you pick the filesystems grub doesn't support.

Demz
27th January 2009, 10:53 AM
whats the chances Presto making it in as default in Fedora11?

drunkahol
27th January 2009, 10:59 AM
I'd like to know the chances of Presto making it in at all . . . Been waiting the last few releases to see it included, but it never seems to make the cut. I know I can still use it with a specific repo, but I'm desperate to use it for one of my systems - it sits behind a 3G mobile broadband card in a location with pretty poor reception. It SOMETIMES achieves slightly more than analogue dial-up speeds.

Cheers

Duncan

RahulSundaram
27th January 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi

Presto is 90% completed

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList

What is needed is for the update system called Bodhi to generate delta rpm's on the fly. Luke Macken is working on it. He brieftly mentioned it at

http://lewk.org/blog/bodhi-push-process.html

It needs to be in before the beta to make the cut.

Demz
27th January 2009, 12:00 PM
i saw it was at 90% complete but with RPMfusion i would of thought the process would of been simpler to use Presto as default?

i hope it makes it as default

RahulSundaram
27th January 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I am not sure I understand the reference to RPM Fusion. Did you mean it is easier for third party repositories to enable presto by default? Currently, RPM Fusion doesn't use Bodhi at all and the benefit would be less since the majority of updates would come from the official repo.

scottro
27th January 2009, 12:53 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point about ext4 is that someone will begin the installation, use a single partition, and choose to format it as ext4. They will then click Ok, or whatever, and only then receive a message that they can't do this because the ext4 partition can't be booted.

This especially applies to Ubuntu users trying Fedora, as Ubuntu's alpha includes a version of grub that can boot ext4.

As for the other situation I mentioned, I don't know how that would work. There are various tutorials all over the net about upgrading an in place ext3 system to ext4. As I haven't tried any of them, I don't know what would happen, but what I was picturing was someone who followed a tutorial that didn't mention the grub issue, winds up with a single / partition of ext4 that will then not boot. At any rate, a single line commenting on the fact that if one tries one of the experimental file sytems, they should be sure to create a separate /boot partition of ext2 or ext3 might save some folks some aggravation.

RahulSundaram
27th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I talked to Eric Sandeen, Red Hat Ext4 developer and he has a patch for GRUB that needs more testing and probably won't make it before Alpha. Eric and Josef (Btrfs developer), will add additional information to the release notes on compatibility issues and other gotchas.

scottro
27th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you, as always. I have a spare partition if he wishes a gunea pig.

RahulSundaram
27th January 2009, 09:37 PM
Hi,

You will have to ping sandeen in #fedora-devel list or drop a mail to sandeen AT redhat.com

Demz
27th January 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I am not sure I understand the reference to RPM Fusion. Did you mean it is easier for third party repositories to enable presto by default? Currently, RPM Fusion doesn't use Bodhi at all and the benefit would be less since the majority of updates would come from the official repo.

i didnt know RPMFusion didnt use bodhi .. but yes that is what i meant Rahul :)

RahulSundaram
5th February 2009, 05:18 AM
Hi,

Alpha release notes now have grub information as well.

scottro
5th February 2009, 05:27 AM
Yes, I'd noticed that. I didn't post about it here, because you'd mentioned it would be dealt with.

We'll still get the posts from the people who didn't put in a /boot partition, but at least, now we can say, "You should always look at the release notes." :)

Once again, thank you--even if Mr. Sandeen was the one responsible for it, it would have been because you pointed it out to him.