PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Canon MP160 Scanner

vbdanl
25th January 2009, 12:31 AM
Hi! Fedora rocks and all the guys that help solve our problems are really great!
I have read several other posts with scanner problems, but nothing seems to solve my problem. I am trying to use XSane Scanner Tool in fc10 to scan a document and save it to a text file (or png or anything)..
This canon mp160 printer/scanner works fine in fc9 and other distros, but in FC10 when i try to scan anything, I get a popup error message "Error during read: Error during device I/O".
dmesg has:
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
The dmesg errors are logged immediately after opening the xSane scanner tool, and before actually attempting the scan.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the scangear rpms with no change in scan results:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dan dan 291196 2009-01-24 16:42 scangearmp-common-1.00-1.i386.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dan dan 1774021 2009-01-24 16:42 scangearmp-mp160-1.00-1.i386.rpm

lsusb:
:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04a9:1714 Canon, Inc. MP160
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
:~$
I have tried comparing some of the conf files from fc9 to fc10, but haven't found anything yet. The scanner will successfully scan a page to the printer. The problem is trying to scan an image to a file (the preview button shows the image, but the scan button always returns the Error during read..device I/O message.

I have also tried to execute /usr/local/bin/scangearmp from the command line.
it will preview and save the output to a png file. when invoking it, dmesg has:
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'scangearmp' sets config #1
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'scangearmp' sets config #1
I would like to be able to use the Scanner Tool gui menu option if possible. Seems like i should be able to, since it works fine in fc9.
Not sure where to go from here.. any help is appreciated..

vbdanl
25th January 2009, 11:49 PM
well, i am able to scan documents or pictures to files, just not by going thru the menus, Apps - Graphics - Scanner Tool. It will give the preview, but not scan to a file - still gets the I/O error message. Bringing up the app also puts messages in the dmesg log:
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'xsane' sets config #1
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'scangearmp' sets config #1

One of the above is from the menu, the other is from running gimp from the command line.
gimp will actually scan and create files, even though it puts several of these messages on the terminal: (scangearmp:3437): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

i would like to fix both errors if possible, but can live with it for now.. don't really scan that much, just like things to work.. :(
btw, i have turned off SeLinux (was in permissive, now is off), and reloaded the printer and scanner drivers a couple of times, but neither of those did much good..
if anyone has some suggestions, i am all ears.. thanks.