PDA

View Full Version : boot manager fedora

antonio_ing
22nd January 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi guys

i had ubuntu 8.10 in my laptop but tonight i have installed fedora in 7 GB of my HD. Now, when i restart my pc, it goes immeadiately in fedora and i cannot choose ubuntu anymore. How can i set a boot manager window when i start the pc in order to login in ubuntu or fedora. Remember that i have just fedora and i can see the HD with ubuntu

thanks in advance

stoat
23rd January 2009, 12:22 AM
Hello antonio_ing,

The Fedora installer (aka Anaconda) is sort of known to overlook existing Linux systems. But there is a little "Add" button on the boot loader page where you could have manually added Ubuntu. That's for next time. For now, open Fedora's grub.conf file for editing...
su
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf...and add a section at the end for Ubuntu such as this...
title Ubuntu
configfile (hdx,y)/boot/grub/menu.lstYou change x & y to the drive and partition that has Ubuntu's boot files (kernels, initial ramdisks, and GRUB files).

If Ubuntu has a separate boot partition, then make it look like this...
title Ubuntu
configfile (hdx,y)/grub/menu.lstIf it doesn't work, return and post the results of these terminal commands for more help...
su
/sbin/fdisk -l
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

P.S.: One more thing (and don't be insulted because I don't know what you know). The GRUB menu in Fedora is hidden by default. To see it, press a key when you see the splash screen and/or countdown during booting. Also, sometimes the timeout value in grub.conf is set so low that there is no time to do what I just said. That can be adjusted in grub.conf.