PDA

View Full Version : Will current development packages "break" old versions of fedora?

php1ic
22nd January 2009, 10:43 AM
Hello,

My laptop is currently running fedora 6 (It's not technically mine, I got it from work so cannot simply upgrade), and I use thunderbird to check my e-mails.

If I want to upgrade thunderbird past 1.5.0.12 I have to enable the development repository in yum which outputs the following:

$sudo yum --enablerepo=development update thunderbird
Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Updating:
thunderbird i386 2.0.0.18-2.fc11 development 23 M
Updating for dependencies:
glib2 i386 2.19.4-1.fc11 development 1.4 M
glib2-devel i386 2.19.4-1.fc11 development 1.3 M
glibc i686 2.9.90-2 development 5.7 M
glibc-common i386 2.9.90-2 development 22 M
glibc-devel i386 2.9.90-2 development 2.1 M
glibc-headers i386 2.9.90-2 development 616 k
nspr i386 4.7.3-3.fc11 development 122 k
nspr-devel i386 4.7.3-3.fc11 development 113 k
nss i386 3.12.2.0-3.fc10 development 1.2 M
nss-devel i386 3.12.2.0-3.fc10 development 229 k
nss-tools i386 3.12.2.0-3.fc10 development 1.2 M

Transaction Summary
Install 0 Package(s)
Update 12 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 59 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

I am at a critical stage in my work, everything I need runs fine as it is so I don't want any chance of something going wrong.

Enough chat and onto my question: Are the other dependencies that will be installed, if I accept the upgrade, likely to "break" anything in my current installation?

My kernel is: 2.6.22.14-72.fc6

I really can't afford the time or annoyance of anything stopping working, so if anybody thinks it may cause a problem please say so. I've lived with it for six months, so a few more wont be too hard

Thanks in advance.

Demz
22nd January 2009, 10:46 AM
yes it'll break for sure. if you have the rawhide repo enabled an your using a stable Version of Fedora it'll break your stable version for sure

why are you stil using fc6? its been EOL for ages now

php1ic
22nd January 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the very quick response,

I'm not really sure why my laptop had fc6, from what I can gather the guy who sets up all of the laptops made some sort of disc image a while back and hasn't been bothered to make a new one since.

I'm still fairly new to being anything more than just a linux user on a large network so don't know the technical term, but I know that he has a standard, simple way, to set up laptops. My colleague got the same model at exactly the same time and they both have the same "quirks"

Thanks again

Demz
22nd January 2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the very quick response,

I'm not really sure why my laptop had fc6, from what I can gather the guy who sets up all of the laptops made some sort of disc image a while back and hasn't been bothered to make a new one since.

I'm still fairly new to being anything more than just a linux user on a large network so don't know the technical term, but I know that he has a standard, simple way, to set up laptops. My colleague got the same model at exactly the same time and they both have the same "quirks"

Thanks again
would of been better off with CentOS than a Fedora OS. i think your better off to suggest that to this guy that installed fc6 cause there wont be much help on this forum for your OS. or no updates. where as CentOS5 is/was based from Fedora core 6 an has a 5 year security update policy where as Fedora has a 13 month update policy on every new major release

SuperSkippy
22nd January 2009, 12:44 PM
To be honest though, if I was trying to do what you are doing, I'd probably just get a thunderbird tarball from mozilla.com. This stands a better chance of working.

Alternatively, download the source RPM from development, and try and recompile it.

php1ic
22nd January 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi SupperSkippy,

I did that with firefox to get 2.0.0.16 when yum wouldn't update past 1.5.?.?, and it's worked fine ever since (after quite a steep learning curve about plugins).

If I have a free afternoon, I may try that way. I'm happy with thunderbird as I have it at the minute so it will depend on how bored I get.