PDA

View Full Version : X restarts sometimes when using keyboard.

spacelobsters
21st January 2009, 10:35 PM
Sometimes, at random points, around twice a week during daily use X restarts when using the keyboard.

Last instance was when I was trying to type a command in a local directory starting with "./mycommand" and half way through X restarts.

It's an apple wired keyboard (not latest, the one before).

spacelobsters
28th January 2009, 05:16 PM
Seems to be other IO events too as a mouse click did it this time.

sideshowjay
28th January 2009, 09:50 PM
I've been having the exact same problems. It happends to me on average once a day (and usually at the most inopportune moments). The only error messages I can find when it happens is in the Xorg.0.log.old:
BOGUS LENGTH in write keyboard desc, expected 5404, got 5420

Google has been no real help here.

I've got a Dell Latitude D820, running nvidia binary drivers with twinview and an external LCD, and the latest updates in Fedora 10. I'm also running VMWare-Workstation-6.5.1 all the time (which I thought was the culprit for a while, but I'm don't think it is anymore), and am on an SSL VPN connection all the time. I thought it was wireless issues for a while too but I'm wired now and it still happens. I've also rebuilt and modified my xorg.conf several times and several ways, but it still happens.

I haven't been able to narrow it down to any specific action or anything, but it does always seem to correspond with keyboard input or mouse input or movement.

I know that the new evdev xorg drivers cause some issues with VMWare so I'm starting to suspect there is some underlying bug somewhere in those drivers.

sideshowjay
28th January 2009, 10:09 PM
Oh, and I should add since it might be related, I'm using an externel Dell USB multimedia kb and a USB optical mouse plugged into a docking station that the laptop is docked into.

spacelobsters
30th January 2009, 04:47 AM
Both my mouse and keyboard are USB too, i'm using the nvidia drivers out of rpm fusion.
Was using twinview, now xinerama, let's see if that has anything to do with it.
I didn't find anything similar to yours in my xorg logs.