PDA

View Full Version : FC10: Can't login as root

shahdharmit
21st January 2009, 05:01 PM
Hello..
I installed FC 10 on my laptop today. I can't login as root from the login screen that appears at the startup of the system. But when I login as a regular user and then when I login as root through terminal, it lets me log in. Can I somehow login as root from the startup itself?

I know logging in as root is not desirable but most of the times my laptop is not connected to net. So it might not be that risky. Please help.

Dan
21st January 2009, 05:05 PM
Try searching the forum. This is a common question regarding F10. The GUI root login has been disabled upstream, (Gnome) but there is a hack.

bob
21st January 2009, 05:06 PM
Well, if you'd check the Guides and How-To Forum, you'll find some very handy info, such as:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=209638

It's not a good idea to normally log in as root, but I'm sure you're aware of that and have some particular need to do so.

bob
21st January 2009, 05:07 PM
(Ah, Dan beat me to the draw once again.) :D

bee
21st January 2009, 05:11 PM
It's a bit offtopic maybe (but i think no!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:p), but you could also give a look to beesu (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201579).:D It's the best software to replace "su". :D :D
You could create a link/application launcher, with this command "beesu -l nautilus", and it'll allow you to browse through your files as root with nautilus!!! :D :D :cool:
I'm sure you'll like it once you have tested it!!! :D :) :cool: :cool:

bye!!!!!!:):):)

shahdharmit
21st January 2009, 05:12 PM
Well I used Open SUSE some time back. In my college we're taught to program upon Windows but I'm more interested in Linux. I wanna get deep into it so I just installed it and will try my level best to reach upto your guys' level.

Thanks a Dozens.......

shahdharmit
21st January 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info... I'll definitely give it a try. I'm jus willing to get deep into Linux. Earlier I used it just for C++ coding. This time too that's the main cause but I am firm upon getting deep into this monsterous and elegant OS... Thanks again... :)

bee
21st January 2009, 05:20 PM
very good!!!!! :D :D :D :cool: Here (http://www.2shared.com/file/4374268/3f74d907/beesu-20-1fc10i386.html) is the only working download link at the moment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:
Ask if you have some trouble with beesu!!!! :cool: (but i think you will have no one :D :D :D :p :cool: :cool:)

Ah!! welcome!!! :D :D :D :)

bye!!!!!!!:):):)

shahdharmit
22nd January 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks again..
But considering that I'm a newbie, I've some doubts that'd sound really comic to u pros. I've not yet been able to succesfully install a single rpm package or unzip the tar.gz files. So I'll need your people's guidance for that as well. Anyways, I'll surf the forum for it before bothering you guys.

bob
22nd January 2009, 09:26 AM
No need to use unzip, install from .rpms. You've got PackageKit which can get you almost anything that's available for Fedora. Also, there's the text-based yum (the core package manager) and it's gui (graphical user interface) version, Yumex. The methods you're describing haven't been necessary in years.

Go check out the 'Read This First' Forum, set yourself up with RPMFusion for 3rd. party applications and then simply point and click. Automatically updated daily too!

bee
22nd January 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks again..
But considering that I'm a newbie, I've some doubts that'd sound really comic to u pros. I've not yet been able to succesfully install a single rpm package or unzip the tar.gz files. So I'll need your people's guidance for that as well. Anyways, I'll surf the forum for it before bothering you guys.Hi!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool:
I'm here!! :cool: What my honey bee bob told you is right, but i can do better :D :D :D :p :p
I want to tell you, how to install one RPM!! :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:
It's simple:

Open a new console/terminal. For example gnome-terminal.
Now type: su -l and press enter.
Write your root's password as requested by the message and hit enter again. (don't worry if the password isn't showed, not even as ***asterisks**, because that is normal :D)
You have to move your current position (usually called "current working directory") to the folder that have inside the RPM you want to install. So, you need to type cd /your/full/path and press enter
(of course the path needs to be replaced with a real path... for example /home/yourUsername/download/)
Now all you need is to install that RPM!!!!
So, type: rpm -Uvh filename.rpm. You need to replace filename.rpm with a real file-name, for example to install beesu (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201579), you have to type: rpm -Uvh beesu-2.0-1.fc10.i386.rpm and press return.
If you are lazy, you could type: rpm -Uvh beesu, press TAB (because this key will complete the filename!!!:D:D:p:cool:) and press enter.
If you read no errors on the console, you have...Done!! :D :D :D :cool: Just close the terminal window (by clicking on the [X] as you would to do on any windows... or even by typing: exit and press enter)

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

rweed
22nd January 2009, 10:09 PM
Try searching the forum. This is a common question regarding F10. The GUI root login has been disabled upstream, (Gnome) but there is a hack.

It's not a hack. It's a configuration change.

Dan
22nd January 2009, 10:17 PM
It's not a hack. It's a configuration change. A rose, by any other name ... should still have a stem load of thorns! <..:p..>

shahdharmit
26th January 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool:
I'm here!! :cool: What my honey bee bob told you is right, but i can do better :D :D :D :p :p
I want to tell you, how to install one RPM!! :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:
It's simple:

Open a new console/terminal. For example gnome-terminal.
Now type: su -l and press enter.
Write your root's password as requested by the message and hit enter again. (don't worry if the password isn't showed, not even as ***asterisks**, because that is normal :D)
You have to move your current position (usually called "current working directory") to the folder that have inside the RPM you want to install. So, you need to type cd /your/full/path and press enter
(of course the path needs to be replaced with a real path... for example /home/yourUsername/download/)
Now all you need is to install that RPM!!!!
So, type: rpm -Uvh filename.rpm. You need to replace filename.rpm with a real file-name, for example to install beesu (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201579), you have to type: rpm -Uvh beesu-2.0-1.fc10.i386.rpm and press return.
If you are lazy, you could type: rpm -Uvh beesu, press TAB (because this key will complete the filename!!!:D:D:p:cool:) and press enter.
If you read no errors on the console, you have...Done!! :D :D :D :cool: Just close the terminal window (by clicking on the [X] as you would to do on any windows... or even by typing: exit and press enter)

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Okay, I'll surely try it out. Actually my usb modem is incompatible with anything that's non-Windows. So it takes me bit more to implement the solutions given by you. :(

drewstew
27th April 2009, 08:45 AM
First of all, thanks Bob for the link, and PoppaMurph for the step-by-step to enabling log-in as root.

As a linux newby, I have to say that one of the things I've found most frustrating is the anal-retentiveness around password logins. I understand if you are running a network, you don't want individual users tweaking their own workstations, but for the individual Desktop user......

Logging-in as root may be inadvisable for everyday use, but, hey, so what. It is essential on some occasions, and if someone wants to risk compromising their own computer, well, nobody died!