PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the latest KDE?

TechDragon
20th January 2009, 04:58 PM
How do i get the latest kde? without activating the entire test repo?

I just want to add kde specific updates.

Thanks

creeping death
20th January 2009, 05:17 PM
the easiest solution would be to use yumex, a gui for yum...if you dont have yumex then install it using

su
yum install yumex

William Haller
20th January 2009, 06:25 PM
I would suggest only activating the repo manually and then doing a group update of KDE. That should pick up the basics (along with any required dependencies). Review the list carefully before asking for it to actually download and install.

rdieter
20th January 2009, 10:28 PM
4.1.4 was queued for stable updates today, so I'd recommend simply waiting for the push to happen.

TechDragon
21st January 2009, 01:30 AM
I am using 4.2 rc1 on kubuntu partition but I prefer Fedora, so I was wondering if I could enable or add a repo that is only for KDE's newest stuff. I just didn't want to activate the entire Fedora test repo.

anyway to just add the kde repo? if so how?

creeping death
21st January 2009, 03:40 AM
add kde.repo, it includes kde-testing also, from here
http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

and use yumex to select and enable the kde-testing repo ...

William Haller
21st January 2009, 04:28 AM
I pulled the 4.1.96 release from kde-redhat-testing myself earlier today and it seemed to work pretty well. I'll be updating the home systems in just a bit. Some bugs were definitely fixed in konqueror. kmail still has an occasional crash, but it did before as well. I've used the kde-redhat-testing repos before from time to time, although since Rex started actively helping out with the main Fedora KDE project it has stayed much closer to the bleeding edge you could always find on kde-redhat-stable and kde-redhat-testing.

Good luck.

Hlingler
21st January 2009, 05:56 AM
KDE 4.1.96 stuff from kde-redhat-testing[-all] failed here last night due to some odd dependency conflicts with Fedora KDE3 stuff (kdiff3, kde-plasma-runcommand), but I removed the roadblocks and F10 is updating now. I've often used kde-redhat (aka 'kdeforge') testing, and so far so good. We'll see....

V

EDIT: Ooh! Very nice!
http://www.geocities.com/hlingler/kde-4.1.96.png