PDA

View Full Version : Sure have a pretty screen!

curshe
20th January 2009, 04:21 PM
Now how the duece do I get anything else? Like at least Ethernet.

Lets start over, I am basically a virgin have messed with Ubuntu before some but just enough to say I have.
I installed Fedora 10 in a Toshiba A35 laptop 51 gig HD and 469 meg ram. linux kernal is 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686
My trouble is I have nothing but a start up screen well I can navigate around the app ,places,system but I can't get the wireless or even the wired internet to work.
I can find some places to find some help sites but have to on line to work not much help if the machine is just looking pretty.
Also how would I go about re partioning the hard drive to reinstall XP so maybe the wireless would work the fedora will not let me reinstall xp now.
Thanks
Wilfred "Curt" Acree

stoat
20th January 2009, 04:51 PM
Also how would I go about re partioning the hard drive to reinstall XP so maybe the wireless would work the fedora will not let me reinstall xp now.Hello curshe,

If you mean that you tried to re-install XP, but booting with the XP CD stops at some point without entering XP Setup, then that is not unheard of. In fact, it's well-known going back for years. If you want to remove Fedora and just start over with XP, then use any means available to remove the Fedora partitions and your XP CD will then behave normally again. A partition manager on a live CD would be a good choice. The GParted LiveCD is my favorite partition manager. The latest version will even delete a Fedora LVM physical volume.

However, if you are also asking for help with a wireless connection, then maybe that would be worth a little of your time before you do anything drastic such as removing Fedora. See, unlike Ubuntu, Fedora is completely committed to using only free and open source software. And that excludes proprietary device drivers. There are a few built-in wireless drivers in Fedora, but many of us still have to acquire and install some form of proprietary driver or chipset firmware to operate our wireless cards in Fedora. If you want to try, I or someone will try to help.

These wireless journeys always begin with the first step of identifying the wireless card's chipset. If you can (and are willing), post the results of these terminal commands...
/sbin/lspci
/sbin/lspci -n
/sbin/lsusbDo them all. One of them may yield something useful with which to proceed.

P.S.: If you still just want to delete Fedora and don't want to download and create a live CD, you can also delete Fedora using Fedora. That's right. Fedora will allow you to use fdisk to delete its partitions while it is running.
su
/sbin/fdisk /dev/sdxYou change x to the letter of the drive with Fedora.

Then see the fdisk menu of commands which is fairly self-explanatory. Delete the Fedora partitions, write the changes to disk, exit fdisk, and reboot with the XP CD which then will work normally again. Be careful with fdisk if other partitions on the hard drive are valuable.

curshe
21st January 2009, 05:42 AM
P.S.: If you still just want to delete Fedora and don't want to download and create a live CD, you can also delete Fedora using Fedora. That's right. Fedora will allow you to use fdisk to delete its partitions while it is running.
su

Then see the fdisk menu of commands which is fairly self-explanatory. Delete the Fedora partitions, write the changes to disk, exit fdisk, and reboot with the XP CD which then will work normally again. Be careful with fdisk if other partitions on the hard drive are valuable.[/QUOTE]

I haven't given up yet. Trying to get an old mind to absorb and hold on to things is a bit daunting but still trying.
Will try to get the results of your code, that was interesting! but have got to get the laptop to save to thumb drive or cd one will work on it. would be nice if I could just get it on line. But did get the name of ethernet card and such so will try to get it to load drivers but still can't get them to open, haven't figured the rpm thing out or something:confused:
As you can tell my knowledge is limited thanks for your help and patience.
Wilfred "Curt" Acree

mcmackin
21st January 2009, 05:50 AM
I would imagine that your ethernet port is probably already recognized and waiting for you to turn it on.

From a command-line try "ifup eth0", now, this relies on the fact that you use DHCP as opposed to a static IP address. From the GUI, System - Administration - Network Device Control. It should show you an inactive eth0. Plug the wire in and watch what happens. If it goes active, then you should be connected via DHCP. If you need to edit for static IP, just choose Configure and then you can make some educated changes there.

Hope it helps get you closer.

curshe
21st January 2009, 06:19 AM
I would imagine that your ethernet port is probably already recognized and waiting for you to turn it on.

From a command-line try "ifup eth0", now, this relies on the fact that you use DHCP as opposed to a static IP address. From the GUI, System - Administration - Network Device Control. It should show you an inactive eth0. Plug the wire in and watch what happens. If it goes active, then you should be connected via DHCP. If you need to edit for static IP, just choose Configure and then you can make some educated changes there.

Hope it helps get you closer.

Tells me "users cannot control this device"
Curt

mcmackin
21st January 2009, 08:07 AM
What you didn't tell me is what command you ran.

Let's assume it was the command-line option. That said, type "su", enter your root password and then run "ifup eth0" again. This time it should come up.

curshe
21st January 2009, 01:38 PM
What you didn't tell me is what command you ran.

Let's assume it was the command-line option. That said, type "su", enter your root password and then run "ifup eth0" again. This time it should come up.

It was the command line! Like a youngun with a new toy saw a code line and just typed.
Although when I did the "SU" it came up with a "nothing to flush" line when checking for IP (well a check cable first had to move over and hook it up)
Is there some place to get a tutorial from the dust up? that seems to be what I need.
Thanks Curt

mcmackin
21st January 2009, 05:24 PM
Well, it's "su" and not "SU". Might be different.

Your best bet is to go to the local Borders or Barnes & Noble and buy a book. Fedora if that's your choice. They have them for Ubuntu, Suse and Red Hat as well. This way you have everything at your fingertips.

curshe
21st January 2009, 07:51 PM
su

Then see the fdisk menu of commands which is fairly self-explanatory. Delete the Fedora partitions, write the changes to disk, exit fdisk, and reboot with the XP CD which then will work normally again. Be careful with fdisk if other partitions on the hard drive are valuable.[/QUOTE]

Ok I am giving up can't get the laptop to do anything! Tried the fdisk code and got a "unable to open /dev/sdc" got same with the sdx
I try partitioning disks but the system will not open them ,get an "error occurred while loading archive!" the info boils down to cannot find zip file info even after unzipping as far as far as I can get right down to the exe.
And yes Mcmackin I know there is a difference between the su and SU just did it for emphasis. Sorry
Curt