PDA

View Full Version : Repos for old Fedora releases...

icanfly0307
20th January 2009, 12:21 AM
Hi,
I've installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my computer. I know it's old but I really need it for a special program that works only on RHL. I was wondering if there were YUM repos for RHL or Fedora Core? Would the latest Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux repos work? Thanks for your help... :)

pwca
20th January 2009, 12:44 AM
No, they would not work. Everything you do on that system will require you to be hanging out there on your own by your finger nails.

I suggest finding some way to update the program your using rather than continue to try and keep RHL9 "updated".

JN4OldSchool
20th January 2009, 01:09 AM
If you MUST use the app in the old environment (which is unlikely) then I suggest running RH9 in a virtual environment inside a modern OS such as F10 or even Vista/XP.

RonPolley
20th January 2009, 01:14 AM
You needed to download and install CentOS, it is basically RHEL, in newer and older releases, I think its CentOS 2 you need for your older software compatibility and 3 may work for you. They support the release for 7 years. I replaced Fedora Core 1 with CentOS 3 before going on up the ladder.
here's the link; www.centos.org (http://www.centos.org)

JN4OldSchool
20th January 2009, 01:20 AM
You needed to download and install CentOS, it is basically RHEL, in newer and older releases, I think its CentOS 2 you need for your older software compatibility and 3 may work for you. They support the release for 7 years. I replaced Fedora Core 1 with CentOS 3 before going on up the ladder.
here's the link; www.centos.org (http://www.centos.org)

Extremely good thought! My only question is how does CentOS compare to the original Red Hat Linux, as I believe the OP is talking about using RH9 Shrike. If you can find an early CentOS with the packages you need and is still supported then you are gold, at least for a while longer. I would still look at updating the questionable app with something else if at all possible.

icanfly0307
20th January 2009, 01:27 AM
Would CentOS be as fast as Red Hat Linux 9? My specs:

256MB RAM
1GHZ Pentium 3

Thanks.

RonPolley
20th January 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, or maybe better with it being up to date. Versions 2 or 3 will preform well in your specs. 2 is using the 2.2 kernel and 3 is using the 2.4 kernel. Which kernel is your software built on?

icanfly0307
20th January 2009, 01:45 AM
I need the 2.6 kernel. I compiled my own kernel on Red Hat since it ships with the 2.4 kernel.

RonPolley
20th January 2009, 01:53 AM
That was easy, go for CentOS 4, it was the beginning of the 2.6 kernel stage. A little more modern than what I thought you needed.
Ron

Demz
20th January 2009, 01:57 AM
I need the 2.6 kernel. I compiled my own kernel on Red Hat since it ships with the 2.4 kernel.

why not just go with Damm Small Linux

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

icanfly0307
20th January 2009, 02:12 AM
@RonPolley: Guess What? I found a mirror that still hosts Red Hat 9 Updates!!!! Here's the link: ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedoralegacy/redhat/9/

I know that it's not the greatest solution, but I'll rarely use this computer. I just need it for a one-time use. Thanks for that suggestion though.

@Demz: DSL is way too ugly (no offence). It's lightening fast on my computer but I know that my hardware's more capable than that sort of an OS.

RonPolley
20th January 2009, 02:18 AM
That was a lucky find my friend,good luck with the project.
Ron

Demz
20th January 2009, 02:20 AM
@RonPolley: Guess What? I found a mirror that still hosts Red Hat 9 Updates!!!! Here's the link: ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedoralegacy/redhat/9/

I know that it's not the greatest solution, but I'll rarely use this computer. I just need it for a one-time use. Thanks for that suggestion though.

@Demz: DSL is way too ugly (no offence). It's lightening fast on my computer but I know that my hardware's more capable than that sort of an OS.

well go over to www.distrowatch.com an browse the different distro's . i mean RHL9 is out of date an you will not get support for it. or use CentOS5

all of that stuff in that link is legacy. dont expect help here if you run into problems