PDA

View Full Version : Canon MF4370DN

daviddoria
19th January 2009, 05:48 PM
Does anyone know where to get a linux driver for this? Canon's "Select operating system" only has windows and mac.... so annoying.

Dave

daviddoria
20th January 2009, 12:00 AM
Update: I emailed cannon and they responded

Canon must make decisions on which products to support
when operating systems are introduced. Currently, Canon has decided to
support only the Microsoft Windows and the Macintosh operating systems

That seems like BS.... would it really kill a huge company like that to write a basic driver so everyone can use their hardware??

LinuxForAll
16th March 2009, 10:56 PM
Try Brother MFC7820N. It is fully supported under Linux. It is fast. It is very good quality, fast, and good price. The supplies are very inexpensive. You can change the toner without changing the drum. Even the toner is easily refillable, if you don't mind the work.
I am not supporting any companies that not providing Linux drivers. I always ask my customers, colleagues, and friends to avoid buying brands that not supporting Linux. I am very proud to say over the past 5 years, I have recommended over $80 millions worth of business to companies that supporting Linux. I hope all Computer consultants can do that. Next time if your customers or friends ask your recommendations for hardware, you should recommend companies that are Linux Friendly. If all Linux users do that, this will force these companies to provide Linux drivers.
The Canon is OEM for HP. You can try some HP drivers. Go to HP product website and look for the one that look similar to MF4370DN and get the driver or use any generic HP driver (HP-PCL, HP III HP 2 .. etc). Be aware, some HP products are not Linux friendly because some products are made by Canon.

JohnVV
17th March 2009, 01:57 AM
i stay away from canon as much as possible .They WILL NOT give out info to driver developers so that THEY ( the oss community ) can make there own drivers . cannon pules the IP property BS .
at times i think that bill G might be on the board of directors for canon

daviddoria
21st March 2009, 07:45 PM
To try some HP drivers, I've been going to "system" -> "administration" -> "printing" -> "new" -> "printer" -> AppSocket/HP JetDirect

entering the IP, selecting the HP driver, and then trying to print a test page from gedit. Most of the time the OS seems to think the job was printed successfully, but nothing ever happens on the canon device. Is this the best way to try them / am I doing it right?

Thanks,
Dave

marko
21st March 2009, 08:11 PM
Why do you think an HP driver is going to work on a canon printer?

daviddoria
21st March 2009, 08:12 PM
See post 3 by LinuxForAll. He said Cannon makes some of HP's stuff, so you should try HP drivers.

marko
21st March 2009, 09:33 PM
Then you'd have to dig around in here, this is the HP Printer page for "all in one and multifunction" printers:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=238445&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

Figuring out which one is going to take a lot of work, you can probably visit each, drop the ones that don't look like the canon printer (some of those are huge office level multifunction printers).