PDA

View Full Version : Inistalling F9 Respin by DVD image

doubleA
18th January 2009, 08:01 PM
i downloaded F9 respin from fedora unity. Trying to boot a Dell Precision workstation 490 with Intel Xeon 3GHz, 64 bit Intel EM64T, 2G RAM 533MHz. It has one CD and one DVD burner. I know the disc is good because I booted a different machine successfully. I think something is wrong with the DVD in my machine. I know the CD is working because I ram F10 from a live CD.

What can I do to check and fix the DVD drive?

Thanks
DoubleA:confused:

SlowJet
22nd January 2009, 10:40 AM
Did the dvd actually start to boot from the dvd device? BIOS setting
What are the symptoms or error messages?
Do you have the correct 80wire/40 pin cable for udma DVD? Your cd could be pio4. Any jumper pins on the back, is the slave pin good?
Where and what speed did you burn it?
It is a file system or still an ISO file?
Is it dvd or dev dirty or scratched?

This is hardware .95, not a OS, Linux, Fedora issue.
SJ

doubleA
22nd January 2009, 10:08 PM
SlowJet,
I no longer think this is a hardware problem. The DVD is recognized, and I do see the blue Fedora page where I can choose 4 options including text or graphic methods. When I do the media check, it checks out, but when I advance to the next step I get a general error with no further information.

I tried the text only mode, and what happens there is that the install process kills. I will do it again and paste the exact error message here.

Thanks
doubleA

doubleA
24th January 2009, 05:34 AM
I tried again to boot from the Fedora 9 Unity respin. The DVD is recognized, and after a successful media test, anaconda starts, and I get this error: ValueError: Invalid object path '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_SAMSUNG_HD080HJ/': ends with'/' and is not just '/'
install exited abnormally [1/1]
sending terminatino signals...done
sending kill signals...done
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystems...
/mnt/runtime done
disabling /dev/loop0
/proc done
/dev/pts done
/sys done
/mnt/source done
/selinux done
you may safely reboot your system

This is greek to me. where do i go from here?
thanks
doubleA