PDA

View Full Version : New App: SopCast Player for Fedora and Ubuntu

flyguy97
11th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Hello all,

I created a new SopCast front-end and would love it if people would help test it out a bit. It features a built-in player and a channel guide with the ability to bookmark favorite channels. Currently the only available language is English, but I'm working with a few people to try and bring support for Japanese and Chinese as well. Let me know what needs improvement, and please, be honest.

http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player

btw. Be sure to read the Installation notes on the website before you install.

flyguy97
11th January 2009, 09:36 PM
Hello all,

I created a new SopCast front-end and would love it if people would help test it out a bit. It features a built-in player and a channel guide with the ability to bookmark favorite channels. Currently the only available language is English, but I'm working with a few people to try and bring support for Japanese and Chinese as well. Let me know what needs improvement, and please, be honest.

http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player

btw. Be sure to read the Installation notes on the website before you install.

glennzo
11th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Threads merged and title edited.

flyguy97
11th January 2009, 09:45 PM
Can you merge them under New App: SopCast Player for Fedora please, typo when submitting.

Threads merged.

glennzo
11th January 2009, 09:46 PM
Just changed the title to include Fedora and Ubuntu. Shall I change it back?

flyguy97
11th January 2009, 09:47 PM
The current title is fine. Thank you.

Just changed the title to include Fedora and Ubuntu. Shall I change it back?

sideways
12th January 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, that works, thanks, it's easier than the command line method or gsopcast app. But you should allow entry of a custom sop:// link too :)

I downloaded the sp-auth and sopcast-player rpms and installed like this:

yum --nogpgcheck install sopcast-player-0.1.1-1.i386.rpm sp-auth-3.0.1-1.i386.rpm

(yum will bring in any dependencies like compat-libstdc++-33)

You can install that over any previous version of sopcast installed manually from a tarball for example.

Doesn't work in x86_64 though.

sideways
12th January 2009, 01:14 AM
oops, sorry, I noticed you can enter a custom sop:// link in the Channel address, cool :)

In x86_64 I get an ELF error about vlc.so, whereas I can run sopcast and vlc in x86_64 using the command line method described here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1100147&postcount=7)

flyguy97
12th January 2009, 03:02 AM
If you want to use a custom sop link just type it into the channel text box and press enter or click play. I suggest using the bookmarks feature with custom sop links so you don't have to repeatedly re-enter that information over and over, just need to select it from the bookmarks drop-down.

Yeah, that works, thanks, it's easier than the command line method or gsopcast app. But you should allow entry of a custom sop:// link too :)

I downloaded the sp-auth and sopcast-player rpms and installed like this:

yum --nogpgcheck install sopcast-player-0.1.1-1.i386.rpm sp-auth-3.0.1-1.i386.rpm

(yum will bring in any dependencies like compat-libstdc++-33)

You can install that over any previous version of sopcast installed manually from a tarball for example.

Doesn't work in x86_64 though.

flyguy97
12th January 2009, 03:09 AM
I was not aware x86_64 was supported by the sopcast client, I will work on building x86_64 binaries. I can't promise it will be this week though, of course tomorrow is the start of a new work week, joy (sarcastic)! One of these days I will get a job as a programmer!!

oops, sorry, I noticed you can enter a custom sop:// link in the Channel address, cool :)

In x86_64 I get an ELF error about vlc.so, whereas I can run sopcast and vlc in x86_64 using the command line method described here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1100147&postcount=7)

eliashickman
12th January 2009, 03:07 PM
Worked right out the box.
Thank you! ^_____^

Now, where can I get some sopcast US/British news channels? Hahaha (But seriously!)

sideways
12th January 2009, 04:29 PM
I was not aware x86_64 was supported by the sopcast client, I will work on building x86_64 binaries

I run the 32bit version of sopcast, I have the shared 32bit libs it depends on already installed to support other proprieatry software I run.

Your sopcast-player i386 rpm installs on x86_64 but when you run the python script it says

sopcast-player.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 40, in <module>
import vlc
ImportError: /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/vlc.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

So I think you just need a 64bit version of vlc.so

But if you make a x86_64 package that would be very nice :)

flyguy97
12th January 2009, 08:04 PM
What are the package names for the shared 32 bit libs? I am having a heck of time getting sp-auth to work on 64 bit.

I run the 32bit version of sopcast, I have the shared 32bit libs it depends on already installed to support other proprieatry software I run.

Your sopcast-player i386 rpm installs on x86_64 but when you run the python script it says

sopcast-player.py
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 40, in <module>
import vlc
ImportError: /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/vlc.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

So I think you just need a 64bit version of vlc.so

But if you make a x86_64 package that would be very nice :)

sideways
12th January 2009, 08:31 PM
ldd /usr/bin/sp-sc
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00110000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00c95000)
libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x00312000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x009ca000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x007ee000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0084d000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00828000)

So you need

yum install glibc.i386 compat-libstdc++-33.i386 libgcc.i386

BlueC
13th January 2009, 12:22 AM
Good work, a native 64 bit version would be SWEET!

flyguy97
13th January 2009, 03:59 AM
A native 64 bit version won't happen without sopcast.com compiling sp-auth specifically for 64 bit. All interested parties should email info [at] sopcast dot org (spelled it out so they don't get spammed by page crawlers). I will be asking about a 64 bit version as well, but I'm sure they would be more apt to do it if more users petitioned.

All of that aside, compiling a 64 bit version of the player (UI overlay) is my top priority. Once completed I will put a 64 bit package together for sp-auth to run in compatibility mode. I expect to post something by the end of this (calendar) week.

Good work, a native 64 bit version would be SWEET!

flyguy97
13th January 2009, 10:11 PM
SopCast Player 64 bit Version Just Released!!
I posted the x86_64 version of SopCast Player on my project page (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player). The 32 bit version of sp-auth still needs to be installed prior to installing SopCast Player. Dependencies should be taken care of by your package manager.

sideways
13th January 2009, 10:43 PM
That x86_64 rpm works fine, thanks. I'll be using this all the time when the UEFA champions league restarts in February.

:)

The Movies section is good. You could perhaps make it more obvious that nothing is playing in the main window until buffering is 100%. eg From the Channel Guide, if you double click you don't see the buffering message and may think nothing has happenned.

Small criticisms though, this basically works very well, well done :)

flyguy97
14th January 2009, 06:58 PM
Besides internationalization and the ability to record, which are currently in development, is there any other feature you would like to see included in SopCast Player?

sideways
14th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Some things that would be nice: the ability to hide the toolbar and a minimal window mode and perhaps the ability to choose an external media player rather than the default.

flyguy97
14th January 2009, 08:28 PM
I will integrate the ability to hide the toolbar in the next release, good call, I didn't even think of that. As for choosing an external player, what player were you thinking of?

Some things that would be nice: the ability to hide the toolbar and a minimal window mode and perhaps the ability to choose an external media player rather than the default.

sideways
14th January 2009, 08:42 PM
I personally like kaffeine, but any media player that can play streams could be selectable, or just allow the user to enter the appropriate command to launch the player then it's just a case launching the command with the http://localhost:port address appended (That's how gsopcast does it)

Most of these media players have advanced options and a minimal display mode so you would automatically get that stuff for free. :)

One other thing, can you put in a real-time chinese/japanese to english speech converter, thanks ;)

flyguy97
14th January 2009, 09:06 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but why would you choose to use SopCast Player if the functionality you want is already built into gsopcast? The reason I ask is to find out what feature draws you to this program over gsopcast. The reason why I hesitate to build this into my program is the goal for this project was to create a player that someone like my wife (who doesn't care for computers) could watch a show if she wanted to without having to worry about configuring anything. There is an outside chance I could build this into my program without compromising z-conf, if you have any ideas on how could implement please let me know. As for the real-time chinese/japanese to english conversion utility, I should have something by the weekend, j/k. :)

I personally like kaffeine, but any media player that can play streams could be selectable, or just allow the user to enter the appropriate command to launch the player then it's just a case launching the command with the http://localhost:port address appended (That's how gsopcast does it)

Most of these media players have advanced options and a minimal display mode so you would automatically get that stuff for free. :)

One other thing, can you put in a real-time chinese/japanese to english speech converter, thanks ;)

sideways
15th January 2009, 01:56 PM
gsopcast isn't maintained and has persistent issues, the channel list didn't work for ages and even now is rudimentary for instance, the interface is unresponsive and greyed out, entering a custom sop:// link causes crashes etc.

Your sopcast player is just what's needed, easy to use and functional :)

flyguy97
15th January 2009, 07:24 PM
I certainly thank you for your kind words about my program. I will begin work on allowing external players. Thank you for your input.

gsopcast isn't maintained and has persistent issues, the channel list didn't work for ages and even now is rudimentary for instance, the interface is unresponsive and greyed out, entering a custom sop:// link causes crashes etc.

Your sopcast player is just what's needed, easy to use and functional :)

flyguy97
15th January 2009, 07:28 PM
A user on Ubuntu Forums suggested integrating the channel guide into the main UI and adding a button to allow the user to hide the channel guide (like the Gnome Media Player's sidebar). I agree with their assessment but have decided to leave it up to a vote. Please vote for your prefered interface option above.

zak_wang
17th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Channel Guide Retrieval Failed Due to Network Problems

There was no channels available originally. I got this when I tried to refresh the channel list. How do I need to configure?

flyguy97
17th January 2009, 06:57 PM
Unfortanently the source of the channel guide (http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml) goes down constantly. As I have no control over sopcast.com I will not be able to help you. My only advice is to keep on trying and contact sopcast.com to let them know the channel guide is down again. If enough of us complain hopefully they will straighten out the problem. I can assure you nothing you do with the configuration will do any good.

There was no channels available originally. I got this when I tried to refresh the channel list. How do I need to configure?

zak_wang
18th January 2009, 03:11 AM
Aha, pretty straight. Thanks.

flyguy97
19th January 2009, 09:49 PM
Were you ever able to download the channel guide?

Aha, pretty straight. Thanks.

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 04:25 AM
No, never. I used gsopcast before your app and got the same effect.

And here again:

Contacting Server

No channel at all. I'm planning to enter channels manually. BTW, the page you mentioned never opened...... So I suppose it would be nice if some of us make a collection of channels and put it somewhere so that most users can get access to it.

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 04:33 AM
This works for me : )

sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6002

P.S.: If the above line would cause legal issues please delete this post.

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 04:37 AM
If the channel thing is set, video playback is perfect, I love this.

And, if you need someone to translate this app into Chinese, I'd be glad to help.

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 06:15 AM
Thank you so much!!! I was just beginning internationalising my program. As soon as I get everything hashed out as far as which phrases I need translated, would it be all right if P.M.'d you the po file (hopefully by the end of the week)? Do you have any experience using Poedit? To show my appreciation I will credit you in the About section of SopCast Player, if that is ok with you.

If the channel thing is set, video playback is perfect, I love this.

And, if you need someone to translate this app into Chinese, I'd be glad to help.

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 06:26 AM
* Edit, I'm thinking there is something wrong with the upload feature, I will post a new link in a bit.
I'm really sorry this is not working for you. I would keep trying, I had trouble downloading the page until I woke up this morning. If that doesn't work for you I attached the xml version of the most current channel guide. It isn't the easiest to use but its better than nothing.

And here again:

Contacting Server

No channel at all. I'm planning to enter channels manually. BTW, the page you mentioned never opened...... So I suppose it would be nice if some of us make a collection of channels and put it somewhere so that most users can get access to it.

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 06:27 AM
That would be great! Sending the po file is good. Though I have no experience using Poedit, I think gtranslator, which I am using now, can do the same thing.

Once you figure things out, would you please send me a mail to explain anything you think is important?

:)my pleasure to help.

Thank you so much!!! I was just beginning internationalising my program. As soon as I get everything hashed out as far as which phrases I need translated, would it be all right if P.M.'d you the po file (hopefully by the end of the week)? Do you have any experience using Poedit? To show my appreciation I will credit you in the About section of SopCast Player, if that is ok with you.

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 06:33 AM
Are you able to visit http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml? This is the web page that I pull the information from. If you can get to this page but not update the channel guide, it would have to be a bug in my program.

And here again:

Contacting Server

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 06:36 AM
Are you able to visit http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml? This is the web page that I pull the information from. If you can get to this page but not update the channel guide, it would have to be a bug in my program.

This is what I was talking about. I couldn't open this page so I don't think it's a bug.

Should be the website's count.

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 06:49 AM
That really is too bad, however I have a solution. If you are familiar with python go to the line that reads
downloader.download_file('http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml', os.path.expanduser('~/.pySopCast/channel_guide.xml'), self.report_progress) this should be at line 568, and change to read
downloader.download_file('http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/files/channel_guide.xml', os.path.expanduser('~/.pySopCast/channel_guide.xml'), self.report_progress) this should get you a working channel guide for now. You can change it back to try and get updates from the SopCast web page.

This is what I was talking about. I couldn't open this page so I don't think it's a bug.

Should be the website's count.

zak_wang
20th January 2009, 08:03 AM
This makes sense but uh... can I download the xml file and put it somewhere so the application can read it?

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 10:56 AM
The next version of the program will be a lot more flexible, but for now no. I will try to be more considerate of these issues in the future.

This makes sense but uh... can I download the xml file and put it somewhere so the application can read it?

dally_z
20th January 2009, 09:36 PM
Current installation of Fedora 10 64bit a few days old:
# ldd /usr/bin/sp-sc
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x003fe000)
libstdc++.so.5 => not found
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x06659000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x003e3000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0081c000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x007f7000)

# rpm -q glibc compat-libstdc++-33 libgcc
glibc-2.9-3.x86_64
glibc-2.9-3.i686
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-64.x86_64
libgcc-4.3.2-7.x86_64
libgcc-4.3.2-7.i386

Of course I am getting an error: sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However I cannot install glibc-2.9-3.i386, there are many dependencies for glibc-2.9-3.i686 located in: /usr/lib64 to uninstall it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Dali.

flyguy97
20th January 2009, 09:39 PM
Did you install the sp_auth rpm from the project website?

Current installation of Fedora 10 64bit a few days old:
# ldd /usr/bin/sp-sc
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x003fe000)
libstdc++.so.5 => not found
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x06659000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x003e3000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0081c000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x007f7000)

# rpm -q glibc compat-libstdc++-33 libgcc
glibc-2.9-3.x86_64
glibc-2.9-3.i686
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-64.x86_64
libgcc-4.3.2-7.x86_64
libgcc-4.3.2-7.i386

Of course I am getting an error: sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However I cannot install glibc-2.9-3.i386, there are many dependencies for glibc-2.9-3.i686 located in: /usr/lib64 to uninstall it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Dali.

dally_z
20th January 2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, here is the output:

# rpm -q sp-auth-
sp-auth-3.0.1-1.i386

sideways
20th January 2009, 09:52 PM
dally_z, you need to do

yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i386

dally_z
20th January 2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you very much 'sideways'. Your hint did it.

Dali.

flyguy97
21st January 2009, 06:38 AM
If you want to view the channel guide in Chinese go to the line that reads
def populate_channel_treeview(self, chinese=False):which should be line 708, and change it to read
def populate_channel_treeview(self, chinese=True):.
And you will also need to change
chinese = Falsewhich should be line 556, to read
chinese = True
The next version will look at your locale settings to automatically select Chinese.

liangsuilong
27th January 2009, 08:49 PM
If you want to view the channel guide in Chinese go to the line that reads
def populate_channel_treeview(self, chinese=False):which should be line 708, and change it to read
def populate_channel_treeview(self, chinese=True):.
And you will also need to change
chinese = Falsewhich should be line 556, to read
chinese = True
The next version will look at your locale settings to automatically select Chinese.

Yes! Thank you for your app, It sounds good!

I am amazing that sopcast player is a pretty good software.

Before knowing your app, I use gmlive written in cpp and gtkmm and based on mplayer and sopcast.

Also, it can record the TV by mplayer. en...It is an interesting function. But gmlive had no updates for a long time. I really does not know whether gmlive will go on or not. I need an online-TV client to watch TV. So I hope you can go on. I do not know hot to write a program. If you need, I can help you translaite sopcast-player from English to Chinese.

An Important Message
I know gmlive can download sopcast channel list in China and rename to sopcast.lst. But there is a serious problem that gmlive can not read that list correctly. I think that is a bug for gmlive. If you want to know how to get sopcast list, you can contact with gmlive's author. If you write an e-mail in Chinese, it is much better. Haha!! But it is Chinese new year's day in lunar calendar, he maybe have no time to return to you soon......

I have an idea for resolv that list problem, however, i do not kwow whether it can run or not.
Could you set a window to let users insert a sopcast.lst manually, not connect to sopcast server to get list directly. Is it OK?

At last, good luck for you and your app! Do not give up! I need your sopcast player forever.

flyguy97
27th January 2009, 09:35 PM
I'm glad you are happy with the program. You will be intrested to know that I am working with another user on this forum, Zak, to integrate full Chinese support in the next version of this program. The next release is due out 8 February. Along with internationalization support, a few other intresting feature will also be incorporated into the next version. Please see http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Roadmap for a full list of features scheduled to be in the next release. Thank you again for supporting SopCast Player.

Jason

Yes! Thank you for your app, It sounds good!

I am amazing that sopcast player is a pretty good software.

Before knowing your app, I use gmlive written in cpp and gtkmm and based on mplayer and sopcast.

Also, it can record the TV by mplayer. en...It is an interesting function. But gmlive had no updates for a long time. I really does not know whether gmlive will go on or not. I need an online-TV client to watch TV. So I hope you can go on. I do not know hot to write a program. If you need, I can help you translaite sopcast-player from English to Chinese.

An Important Message
I know gmlive can download sopcast channel list in China and rename to sopcast.lst. But there is a serious problem that gmlive can not read that list correctly. I think that is a bug for gmlive. If you want to know how to get sopcast list, you can contact with gmlive's author. If you write an e-mail in Chinese, it is much better. Haha!! But it is Chinese new year's day in lunar calendar, he maybe have no time to return to you soon......

I have an idea for resolv that list problem, however, i do not kwow whether it can run or not.
Could you set a window to let users insert a sopcast.lst manually, not connect to sopcast server to get list directly. Is it OK?

At last, good luck for you and your app! Do not give up! I need your sopcast player forever.

BlueC
29th January 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm glad you are happy with the program. You will be intrested to know that I am working with another user on this forum, Zak, to integrate full Chinese support in the next version of this program. The next release is due out 8 February. Along with internationalization support, a few other intresting feature will also be incorporated into the next version. Please see http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Roadmap for a full list of features scheduled to be in the next release. Thank you again for supporting SopCast Player.

Jason

Hi Jason, you're doing an awesome job with this. Just testing out the 64 bit version on F10 and so far it looks really very nice. The interface is really simple and I love your zero-conf approach to this - please don't lose sight of that; feature creep could be a nightmare!!

Any chance of a 64 bit version of sp-auth also? I see there is a 64 bit deb package but not rpm.

Keep up the good work.

(I have no opinion of whether channel guide should be in different or same window - what is important is that channel guide can be easily hidden as it can now!)

Best
Chris

liangsuilong
29th January 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Jason, you're doing an awesome job with this. Just testing out the 64 bit version on F10 and so far it looks really very nice. The interface is really simple and I love your zero-conf approach to this - please don't lose sight of that; feature creep could be a nightmare!!

Any chance of a 64 bit version of sp-auth also? I see there is a 64 bit deb package but not rpm.

Keep up the good work.

(I have no opinion of whether channel guide should be in different or same window - what is important is that channel guide can be easily hidden as it can now!)

Best
Chris

If you have a 64 bit deb package of sp-auth, you can extract it and write a specfile to build a rpm package by rpmbuild. It is quite easy to do it.

But I have not a 64 bit system, So I can not help you! haha!

flyguy97
30th January 2009, 01:36 PM
Chris,

Thank you for your kind words. I am trying to work with sopcast.com to come up with a true 64-bit version of sp-auth, unfortantently it does not look like its going to happen. I will keep everyone informed on this. As far as a 64-bit package, are there issues with installing from the 32-bit package? I tested it out on a clean vmware image, it didn't appear to have any issues.

Jason

Keep up the good work.

Best
Chris

BlueC
31st January 2009, 01:50 PM
As far as a 64-bit package, are there issues with installing from the 32-bit package? I tested it out on a clean vmware image, it didn't appear to have any issues.

Jason

Hi Jason.

It seems to work just fine using the 32-bit version of sp-auth. It does require the following also to be installed:

libgcc-4.3.2-7.i386
glibc-2.9-3.i686
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-64.i386

These are pulled in correctly as dependencies when installing the sp-auth RPM. However, for some strange reason it is later possible to erase the above packages without erasing sp-auth. I did this by mistake and sopcast player stopped working. Seems a bit odd, but its no big problem.

Just watching Stoke vs Man City - cheers :)

Best
Chris

flyguy97
31st January 2009, 05:51 PM
This is my first Linux application, and also my first experience with RPM packages. I'm sure the problem can be traced back to me. I will look into what I have to do to make sure if dependencies are removed so is the package. On a good note, the next version of SopCast Player will only require installing one package. It looks like I am able to package proprietary and GPL programs as long as the licenses are spelled out, I am sure this is good news for those of you who found it less than intuitive to have to install two packages to get one program working. The next version is scheduled to be released next Sunday (8 Feb).

Hi Jason.

It seems to work just fine using the 32-bit version of sp-auth. It does require the following also to be installed:

libgcc-4.3.2-7.i386
glibc-2.9-3.i686
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-64.i386

These are pulled in correctly as dependencies when installing the sp-auth RPM. However, for some strange reason it is later possible to erase the above packages without erasing sp-auth. I did this by mistake and sopcast player stopped working. Seems a bit odd, but its no big problem.

Just watching Stoke vs Man City - cheers :)

Best
Chris

liangsuilong
31st January 2009, 07:57 PM
But there is a problem that sp-auth is not under GPL.

So you had better separate sopcast-player for sp-auth and sopcast-frontend.

This is just my opinion. haha!!

flyguy97
1st February 2009, 12:25 PM
I am in need of some GPL guidance. I am using GPL v2 for SopCast Player and I would like to know if it is ok to distribute sp-auth (which is free, but proprietary) in the same debian package as SopCast Player. I would like to make SopCast Player easier to install but of course I need to follow the tenets of the GPL. Any inputs, specifically examples, would be greatly appreciated.

But there is a problem that sp-auth is not under GPL.

So you had better separate sopcast-player for sp-auth and sopcast-frontend.

This is just my opinion. haha!!

flyguy97
1st February 2009, 03:50 PM
I got the answer to my problem, according to a volunteer from gnu.org my specific case fits under this clause (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem) of the GNU (best summarised in the last paragraph). In essence, since my program does not directly interact with the proprietary software, a term they refer to as at "arms length", I am free to distribute both in a single package as long as the copyright of each is spelled out and the user know their rights when it comes to each program.

I am in need of some GPL guidance. I am using GPL v2 for SopCast Player and I would like to know if it is ok to distribute sp-auth (which is free, but proprietary) in the same debian package as SopCast Player. I would like to make SopCast Player easier to install but of course I need to follow the tenets of the GPL. Any inputs, specifically examples, would be greatly appreciated.

BlueC
1st February 2009, 08:35 PM
Regardless of licence they are separate applications and should really be distributed separately. The whole point of having a YUM/APT system is to resolve dependencies, so your solution should be to have the two applications hosted in a repository: then the user just have to do "yum install sopcast-player" and yum will automatically pull in any of the required dependencies.

I'd be happy to have a look at maintaining RPMs of sp-auth and even sopcast-player for fedora at rpmfusion if it would help you?

flyguy97
6th February 2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry its been a while. I would be very grateful if you would look into that for me. Thank you for your kind offer.

Regardless of licence they are separate applications and should really be distributed separately. The whole point of having a YUM/APT system is to resolve dependencies, so your solution should be to have the two applications hosted in a repository: then the user just have to do "yum install sopcast-player" and yum will automatically pull in any of the required dependencies.

I'd be happy to have a look at maintaining RPMs of sp-auth and even sopcast-player for fedora at rpmfusion if it would help you?

liangsuilong
7th February 2009, 07:23 PM
Waiting for new version sopcast-player, It will be released soon.......hah

flyguy97
7th February 2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, I am still on track for a release late tomorrow, probably around 9:00pm GMT. Features include:

-Internationalization (Chinese, Japanese, and English)
-External player option
-Static or dynamic ports
-Minimal view
-Stay on top functionality
-Configurable channel guide URL
-Choice of integrated channel guide or current, two window setup
-Adjustable channel timeout
-Adjustable channel guide auto-refresh

If anyone can think of other features that would benefit the community feel free to post them here. Before you do however, please check http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Roadmap to make sure proposed features are not already part of the SopCast Player roadmap.

Thank you to everybody who downloaded this program. You have helped make this program a success. SopCast Player went over 500 downloads earlier this week, after only one month of availability.

I would like to put in a plug for translators. My goal is to see everyone enjoy SopCast Player in their native language. I am looking for South American and European translators specifically, however, all languages would be genuinely appreciated.

Regards,
Jason

Waiting for new version sopcast-player, It will be released soon.......hah

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 04:40 AM
Would you consider submitting the package to RPMFusion? I can help you out with that if you want.

Edit: By the way, the RPM package you provide have problems. It is owning too many directories (even / ). Not good.
You should run rpmlint on the package and try to fix those errors.

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 06:36 AM
I would love to add my program to RPM Fusion. However, as you can tell by my RPM package, I would need a lot of help. I used alien to generate the package since I have no clue how to package RPMs. I would really appreciate your help and would be very happy to work with you.

Regards,
Jason

Would you consider submitting the package to RPMFusion? I can help you out with that if you want.

Edit: By the way, the RPM package you provide have problems. It is owning too many directories (even / ). Not good.
You should run rpmlint on the package and try to fix those errors.

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 06:44 AM
Give me a link to your SPEC file and/or SRPM, I will work on it.

But there is an issue. sp-sc is not free software (source code not available). We can still put it in rpmfusion, but we must have the permission for redistribution from the upstream. How did you get such permission?

Cheers,
Orcan

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:00 AM
I will be releasing the next version later today (GMT), so I don't know if this will change the SPEC file, I added a few files to the package. At any rate, I attached the current SPEC file for both SopCast Player and sp-auth. Thank you again for doing this, can I add your name to the credits in the about section? As far as your question about permission to distribute sp-sc, yes I received permission via email but it is also in the end-user's agreement.

Give me a link to your SPEC file and/or SRPM, I will work on it.

But there is an issue. sp-sc is not free software (source code not available). We can still put it in rpmfusion, but we must have the permission for redistribution from the upstream. How did you get such permission?

Cheers,
Orcan

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:04 AM
It is not letting me attach the file so here is a link to the spec files (http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/files/specfiles.tar.gz).

I will be releasing the next version later today (GMT), so I don't know if this will change the SPEC file, I added a few files to the package. At any rate, I attached the current SPEC file for both SopCast Player and sp-auth. Thank you again for doing this, can I add your name to the credits in the about section? As far as your question about permission to distribute sp-sc, yes I received permission via email but it is also in the end-user's agreement.

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 07:13 AM

Can you give me a link to this end-user's agreement? I couldn't find it on the sopcast website.
I sent an email to their "Contact Us" addresses, asking for permission. I hope they respond :) Did you do it the same way?

I will revise the SPEC file. You can use my information that I will put into the SPEC file for credits. Should I email it to you?

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:20 AM
This is what I received from Van Wang, he will probably be the person you will get a response from. I can't remember how I came across his email but it is info [at] sopcast [dot] org.

Hi Jason,

Here is the license for sp-sc-auth:

sp-sc-auth may be used, copied and redistributed without fee for private, non-commercial purposes only. The software may be used and copied by any non-commercial entity, which is defined as an educational institution (excluding a commercial training organization), non-commercial research organisation, registered charity, registered not-for-profit organisation, or private persons who don't gain any benefit or earn money by the use or redistribution of this software. Commercial use of this software, by itself or as part of another application, is allowed only under express written permission of sopcast.com <http://sopcast.com> or one of its licensed distributors and requires the payment of a fee.

And thanks again for supporting SopCast.

Best Regards!

Van Wang

You can email me the spec file. My email address is flyguy97 [at] gmail [dot] com.

Can you give me a link to this end-user's agreement? I couldn't find it on the sopcast website.
I sent an email to their "Contact Us" addresses, asking for permission. I hope they respond :) Did you do it the same way?

I will revise the SPEC file. You can use my information that I will put into the SPEC file for credits. Should I email it to you?

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:24 AM
A reference to allowing users to distribute the software freely can be found on the downloads page (http://www.sopcast.com/download/). The statement is near the top in a beige box.

Regards,
Jason

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 07:28 AM
Hmm, these SPEC files look like aliens to me :)
Could you provide in your website a source tarball or should I make my own tarball from svn trunk?
(According to the Fedora rules, I must put a link in the SPEC file that points to the source or I must explain a method in the SPEC file to gather the sources)

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 07:32 AM
Oh, we have another problem. We must build vlc.so from sources (this is a GPL rule, otherwise your software becomes nonfree). Can you add its source to your SVN?

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:34 AM
A tarball for 0.1.1 can be found at http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/files/sopcast-player-0.1.1.tar.gz

Hmm, these SPEC files look like aliens to me :)
Could you provide in your website a source tarball or should I make my own tarball from svn trunk?
(According to the Fedora rules, I must put a link in the SPEC file that points to the source or I must explain a method in the SPEC file to gather the sources)

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 07:40 AM
I uploaded the vlc bindings to my SVN repository. A tarball can also be found at http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/files/vlc_python_bindings.tar.gz

Oh, we have another problem. We must build vlc.so from sources (this is a GPL rule, otherwise your software becomes nonfree). Can you add its source to your SVN?

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 08:07 AM
So, the vlc_python_bindings is another software. We will need to package it separately (Fedora packaging policies are very strict, and we are obeying them at RPMFusion). Don't worry, I'll work on all 3 packages (sp-sc, sopcast-player, vlc-python-bindings). I'll let you know about the progress.

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 08:26 AM
I can't tell you how thankful I am for all your efforts. Please let me know if I can return the favor in any way.

So, the vlc_python_bindings is another software. We will need to package it separately (Fedora packaging policies are very strict, and we are obeying them at RPMFusion). Don't worry, I'll work on all 3 packages (sp-sc, sopcast-player, vlc-python-bindings). I'll let you know about the progress.

liangsuilong
8th February 2009, 09:20 AM

I want to ask you several questions. Could you help me?

1. How can we submit a package to RPMFusion? I think Fedora is too strict for us. I have submitted iptux to Fedora. But now the progress do not finish. I do not know what I should do. Here (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=480538) is my bug report.

2. I am not the author of software. If I submit a package, It will be more difficult to do it than the author?

3. I am a VirutalBox fans. When can we install VirtualBox-OSE from RPMFusion? I know someone has submitted a specfile.

ogetbilo
8th February 2009, 09:59 AM
I want to ask you several questions. Could you help me?
Well, this is very off-topic. I'll try to answer your questions via pm.

flyguy97
8th February 2009, 10:06 PM
In the interest of quality I am delaying the release of version 0.2.0. During final testing a bug was discovered that may freeze the channel guide window during a refresh. While this doesn't pose a serious problem, I believe it is best to hammer out the bug before final release. This bug should be fixed no later than Tuesday night (GMT). I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If you are so inclined, the 0.2.0-pre is available from subversion under the Source heading if you don't want to wait for the official release.

Regards,
Jason

liangsuilong
9th February 2009, 05:22 AM
In the interest of quality I am delaying the release of version 0.2.0. During final testing a bug was discovered that may freeze the channel guide window during a refresh. While this doesn't pose a serious problem, I believe it is best to hammer out the bug before final release. This bug should be fixed no later than Tuesday night (GMT). I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If you are so inclined, the 0.2.0-pre is available from subversion under the Source heading if you don't want to wait for the official release.

Regards,
Jason

I am so disappointed that sopcast-player has been delayed. But I hope it will come soon. Nerver give up adn go to fix the bug.

Now I am reporting a bug to you.

You set the channel guide's url is http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. But I find it failed to get the channel guide. It I reset the the channel guide's url is http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml. It can get the channel guide, no matter in sopcast-player 0.1.1 or 0.2.0-pre

I am in China. I do not know why sopcast is unable to get the channel guide, however, I hope you correct it soon. haha

flyguy97
9th February 2009, 05:28 AM
That is really good to know, another Chinese user is having trouble retrieving the guide from http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. Here in England if I try to download from
http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml I can't download it. I will setup some conditional code so the default for Chinese users is http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml. On a side note, as soon as I get home from work tonight I plan on working out the bugs, I hope to have something tonight (GMT), but no latter than tomorrow. Thank you for the bug report.

Regards,
Jason

I am so disappointed that sopcast-player has been delayed. But I hope it will come soon. Nerver give up adn go to fix the bug.

You set the channel guide's url is http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. But I find it failed to get the channel guide. It I reset the the channel guide's url is http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml. It can get the channel guide, no matter in sopcast-player 0.1.1 or 0.2.0-pre

I am in China. I do not know why sopcast is unable to get the channel guide, however, I hope you correct it soon. haha

flyguy97
9th February 2009, 05:35 AM
liangsuilong,

Are you using 0.2.0-pre?

Jason

zak_wang
9th February 2009, 12:55 PM
The newest version of sopcast-player.py opens with the channel guide instead of the main window. Is this change intended?

liangsuilong
9th February 2009, 02:43 PM
flyguy97,
Yes, I downloaded 0.2.0-pre from subversion today. The revision is 92. I use it and it run well. Good software!!

I know why Chinese user can not download the guide list from http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. Because GFW has denied people to survey it. When I turn on the onion router, I can download it but the speed is quite low. So I think the URL has been banned by GFW.

The simple solution is that you set http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml as default guide list for Chinese user. However, we can not know when GFW will ban http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml or when the server of http://channel.sopcast.com/ will break down. So the best solution is to design a form to let user can edit guide list URL manually

flyguy97
9th February 2009, 05:51 PM
Zak,

If the External Player option is enabled under the options dialog the channel guide will open instead of the customary player window. I believe this is the expected result of selecting an external player.

Regards,
Jason

The newest version of sopcast-player.py opens with the channel guide instead of the main window. Is this change intended?

liangsuilong
9th February 2009, 06:26 PM
I prefer to open the customary player window first rather than open the channel guide window first when I run sopcast player. Because if we can not get the channel guide, we will not be able to watch TV by sopcast. I would bookmark many my favorite channel. If I can not get into the customary player window, I can not watch my bookmarked TV....haha!

flyguy97
9th February 2009, 08:43 PM
I apologize for not clearly stating my point. Only if a user sets a specific external player will the channel guide show instead of the normal window. As a default the normal window with media player will be the window that shows up, only a change to the options dialog by the user will change this behavior.

I prefer to open the customary player window first rather than open the channel guide window first when I run sopcast player. Because if we can not get the channel guide, we will not be able to watch TV by sopcast. I would bookmark many my favorite channel. If I can not get into the customary player window, I can not watch my bookmarked TV....haha!

liangsuilong
10th February 2009, 05:36 PM
I report a new bug on 0.2.0-pre:
When I close all sopcast-player's windows, including guide channel window and player window, I find a program named of sp-sc is goiong on running and taking up most of bandwidth. Sometimes It is quite slow to survey the web.
After I kill sp-sc, I survey the website smoothly.

flyguy97
10th February 2009, 06:34 PM
I have not been able to replicate your problem. One sure way of leaving behind an orphaned instance of sp-sc is to kill SopCast Player with a term signal. Can you give me specifics of what you are encountering, does it happen everytime?

I report a new bug on 0.2.0-pre:
When I close all sopcast-player's windows, including guide channel window and player window, I find a program named of sp-sc is goiong on running and taking up most of bandwidth. Sometimes It is quite slow to survey the web.
After I kill sp-sc, I survey the website smoothly.

flyguy97
10th February 2009, 06:50 PM
All,

If you want to help SopCast Player become more popular and you speak English and another language you can help out by providing translation services. Not only will you get the satisfaction of giving back to the Open Source community, but your name will be included in the translations credits. Please go to https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player/trunk/+pots/sopcast-player/ to help with the translations. Thank you for supporting SopCast Player.

Regards,
Jason

flyguy97
11th February 2009, 02:30 AM
SopCast 0.2.0 is out. However, I don't have time tonight to package RPMs. I have every intention of packaging the RPMs tonight.

Regards,
Jason

zak_wang
11th February 2009, 05:58 AM
SopCast 0.2.0 is out. However, I don't have time tonight to package RPMs. I have every intention of packaging the RPMs tonight.

Regards,
Jason

Cheers!

I encountered this:

File "/home/zak/sopcast-player/sopcast-player.py", line 33, in <module>
import DatabaseOperations
ImportError: No module named DatabaseOperations
and were not able to start the program. This can be solved by copying the whole sopcast-player directory into /usr/share/.

I looked into the codes and found this:

Line 32: sys.path.append("/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib")

which determines where to look for the imports. So it won't start if we put the directory in other place.

I believe we won't have to worry about this when it's packaged. Looking forward to that!

Haven't found any defects. Great job.:)

zak_wang
11th February 2009, 06:04 AM
Another way to solve this is to replace every "/usr/share/sopcast-player/" with "./" in the sopcast-player.py file.

e.g. "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib" -> "./lib"

In this way, it won't matter where we place the directory.

flyguy97
11th February 2009, 07:00 AM
The subversion repository is in preperation for packaging, please download http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/files/sopcast-player-0.2.0.tar.gz from the downloads section.

Regards,
Jason

Another way to solve this is to replace every "/usr/share/sopcast-player/" with "./" in the sopcast-player.py file.

e.g. "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib" -> "./lib"

In this way, it won't matter where we place the directory.

ogetbilo
11th February 2009, 10:21 PM
Hi, I want to make a few comments on your tarball.

* It would be good if you add a file called COPYING, which contains the full text of GPLv2 license, to the tarball. This is also a GPL requirement.

* Adding an installer to the tarball will make things more convenient. You can use "setuptools" for python, or write a "Makefile" and use the good old "make". Since most linux distributions do not like binaries in tarballs and want to compile everything from source, you will need to make the installer to
- build the vlc module
- build .mo files from .po files
I can help you creating an installer if you don't have any experience in this.

* There are files in the tarball with executable permissions that do not need executable permissions. These include some glade files and some py files.

* Only those python files that need to be executable should carry the shebang "#! /usr/bin/env python"

* You should remove the .py~ and .pyc files from your tarballs.

Having these features will make things convenient for packagers and this will make your software easier to distribute.

flyguy97
12th February 2009, 06:09 AM
That would be great if you could help me with the setuptools or Makefile part. I really have no clue when it comes to either, this is my first programming project and I'm sure it shows. Also, thank you for your critique, I really appreciate your assessment and will make the necessary adjustments.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi, I want to make a few comments on your tarball.

* It would be good if you add a file called COPYING, which contains the full text of GPLv2 license, to the tarball. This is also a GPL requirement.

* Adding an installer to the tarball will make things more convenient. You can use "setuptools" for python, or write a "Makefile" and use the good old "make". Since most linux distributions do not like binaries in tarballs and want to compile everything from source, you will need to make the installer to
- build the vlc module
- build .mo files from .po files
I can help you creating an installer if you don't have any experience in this.

* There are files in the tarball with executable permissions that do not need executable permissions. These include some glade files and some py files.

* Only those python files that need to be executable should carry the shebang "#! /usr/bin/env python"

* You should remove the .py~ and .pyc files from your tarballs.

Having these features will make things convenient for packagers and this will make your software easier to distribute.

flyguy97
12th February 2009, 07:09 PM
I finally packaged the i386 RPM for SopCast Player. Please let me know if there is any problem with the RPM. Please visit http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player to download.

P.S. The 64-bit will be packed later tonight.

Regards,
Jason

flyguy97
12th February 2009, 08:46 PM
All,

The 64-bit RPM of SopCast Player 0.2.0 has been released. Please visit http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player to download RPM packages for the i386 and x86_64 architectures.

Cheers,
Jason

sfinlay
12th February 2009, 10:51 PM
Just installed the i386 version for the first time and it works wonderfully. Great job. Looking forward to seeing this in rpmfusion.

BlueC
12th February 2009, 11:39 PM
All,

The 64-bit RPM of SopCast Player 0.2.0 has been released. Please visit http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player to download RPM packages for the i386 and x86_64 architectures.

Cheers,
Jason

Installed and working really nice here, thanks for all the work Jason its a great little app.

flyguy97
13th February 2009, 06:42 AM
All,

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has helped to make SopCast Player a complete success. I began work on SopCast Player December 22, 2008. The first release was posted January 4, 2009. And now just a little over a month since the first full release SopCast Player has been made the official Linux Player by sopcast.com http://sopcast.com/download (http://sopcast.com/download/). I am truly humbled by SopCast Player's success and owe you all a debt of appreciation. Thank you to all the translators and user's and those that found problems or suggested ways to improve SopCast Player. Without your help this never would have happened. Again, I sincerely thank you and hope you continue to support SopCast Player.

Best Regards,
Jason

ogetbilo
13th February 2009, 06:48 AM
flyguy97,
I made a nice Makefile facility and I'm sending it together with explanations/instructions to your email address that I found in the source files.

flyguy97
13th February 2009, 06:59 AM
Thank you so much for all your efforts, the next release will incorporate the Makefile along with all the improvements you suggested in your last post.

Best Regards,
Jason

flyguy97,
I made a nice Makefile facility and I'm sending it together with explanations/instructions to your email address that I found in the source files.

ogetbilo
13th February 2009, 07:30 AM
Thank you so much for all your efforts, the next release will incorporate the Makefile along with all the improvements you suggested in your last post.

Best Regards,
Jason
You're welcome mate. I just sent the email. I was more familiar with Makefile's than python's setuptools, that's why I chose that. I'm sure there are more native python ways of building the .mo files etc that can be formulated in setuptools language and you may want to switch to setuptools in the future if you learn about it.
But don't worry, the Makefile does its job :)

flyguy97
13th February 2009, 05:55 PM
Thank you so much, I received your email and I am currently reading through the source so I can better understand what is going on. I have seen many make files (although I have very little understanding of them), but this one is so explicit on what is happening, self-documenting in a way. Thank you again for your all your support.

Best Regards,
Jason

You're welcome mate. I just sent the email. I was more familiar with Makefile's than python's setuptools, that's why I chose that. I'm sure there are more native python ways of building the .mo files etc that can be formulated in setuptools language and you may want to switch to setuptools in the future if you learn about it.
But don't worry, the Makefile does its job :)

flyguy97
13th February 2009, 07:25 PM
If anyone has tried the external player option could they please post their experiences. I am curious if this feature was well implemented and user-friendly enough.

Cheers

sfinlay
20th February 2009, 03:03 AM
The external player does exactly what I expect it to. Just a video window and no controls. Perfect.

Obviously someone unfamiliar with mplayers keybindings will struggle with this but the feature is not really for them imho.

As always great job.

flyguy97
20th February 2009, 11:29 AM
sfinlay,

I'm glad you like the external player option. Version 0.3.0 of SopCast Player will make it even easier to choose which external application you want to use with SopCast Player. It will feature querying of the content type database to check which programs installed on the user's computer is able to handle SopCast video streams, once you select the player of choice you will be presented with options like stay on top, minimal view, and other relevant options. The preview of this feature is scheduled to be completed by Wednesday of next week and will be available through subversion. If you have any inputs on this feature please let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

The external player does exactly what I expect it to. Just a video window and no controls. Perfect.

Obviously someone unfamiliar with mplayers keybindings will struggle with this but the feature is not really for them imho.

As always great job.

flyguy97
21st February 2009, 06:38 PM
All,

Tomorrow at 4:00pm GMT SopCast Player 0.2.1 will be released. This will add additional language support as well as some minor bug fixes. Languages supported will be Catalan, English, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmal, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Traditional Chinese. I would like to thank all the translators that have freely given of their time.

I am still looking for additional translations, primarily for European and South American languages. If you able to contribute please visit https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player to add your language. I will be sure to add your name to the translation credits if you would like.

Cheers,
Jason

sfinlay
21st February 2009, 09:12 PM
Excellent work Jason. No extra input from me. The implementation (method) you mentioned gets the thumbs up.

sfinlay,

I'm glad you like the external player option. Version 0.3.0 of SopCast Player will make it even easier to choose which external application you want to use with SopCast Player. It will feature querying of the content type database to check which programs installed on the user's computer is able to handle SopCast video streams, once you select the player of choice you will be presented with options like stay on top, minimal view, and other relevant options. The preview of this feature is scheduled to be completed by Wednesday of next week and will be available through subversion. If you have any inputs on this feature please let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
22nd February 2009, 05:50 PM
All,

SopCast Player 0.2.1 has been posted and is available for download at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player. Also, I have setup a web page that tracks the total number of downloads by version in case anyone is interested. It is available at http://download-tracker.appspot.com/. Thank you to all of you for your support. And a special thank you to the translators for his work with the Makefile and spec file, before his work the source code archive was a real mess.

Regards,
Jason

liangsuilong
1st March 2009, 02:40 PM
flyguy97,

Could you put the full screen button on the playground? I think it is more convenient for users.

Later, I know you will add screenshot into sopcast-player. I hope you can add a button on playground.

I have an adivce.

Could you add record function? you can set mplayer as a backend to record the video stream.

For example. a soccer match, Liverpool VS Manchester United is a great match. If we can record it, and enjoy again and again, This will be a wonderful thing.

flyguy97
1st March 2009, 03:06 PM
liangsuilong,

I am currently finalizing the feature-set that will be included in 0.3.0. I can tell you that I will definently be adding record and screenshots in 0.3.0, these will be the main features of that release. I will probably not use mplayer as the backend as I want to keep the requirements as lite as possible, considering I already have VLC as a requirement I don't want to levy an additional media player requirement on users. My plans are to research the use of raw sockets as a way of recording the stream (in the same way gsopcast uses them), I'm not sure it is viable in Python but it will be fun trying to get it to work. I will definitely consider bringing back the toolbar in 0.3.0, I was not aware this was a popular feature. Thank you for your suggestions and your continues support.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97,

Could you put the full screen button on the playground? I think it is more convenient for users.

Later, I know you will add screenshot into sopcast-player. I hope you can add a button on playground.

I have an adivce.

Could you add record function? you can set mplayer as a backend to record the video stream.

For example. a soccer match, Liverpool VS Manchester United is a great match. If we can record it, and enjoy again and again, This will be a wonderful thing.

claypace
12th April 2009, 09:43 PM
hi,

this is my first post :), i'm still kinda newbie to fedora and such but tried installing sopcast. first of all there is no entry for sopcast in applications>internet. moreover when i click on a sopcast link, the following error comes up. Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (sop) isn't associated with any program. could you kindly instruct me how to fix this? used to have sopcast on windows xp where it used to work quite.

thanks for your feedback in advance :)

also.. had my doubts whether sopcast was really installed and tried running the installation package again, but told me that sopcast is already installed. thought might be helpful to let you know

flyguy97
17th May 2009, 09:11 PM
All,

Sorry for the long wait for the fixes to the issues created by python 2.6+. I ask that some brave testers download and install the latest source from svn. Instructions to download the latest svn sources can be found at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/source/checkout. After downloading the repo, issue the following commands:

make all
sudo make install-all

This should clear up all existing issues. Please post results on this forum so I know if I should create binaries or if its back to the drawing board. Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Jason

sideways
17th May 2009, 10:13 PM
That requires vlc development packages to compile, I installed vlc-devel but still get errors

./vlc_module.c:154: error: ‘mediacontrol_ForwardStatus’ undeclared (first use in this function)
./vlc_module.c:154: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
./vlc_module.c:154: error: for each function it appears in.)
./vlc_module.c:156: error: ‘mediacontrol_BackwardStatus’ undeclared (first use in this function)
In file included from ./vlc_module.c:176:

The dependency on vlc will put a lot of people off this, is it not possible to remove this dependency, and just ask the user to set the default media player, any media player that can play a local http stream will work.

flyguy97
18th May 2009, 05:59 AM
That requires vlc development packages to compile, I installed vlc-devel but still get errors

The dependency on vlc will put a lot of people off this, is it not possible to remove this dependency, and just ask the user to set the default media player, any media player that can play a local http stream will work.

I don't believe removing the vlc-devel dependency would be in the best interest of the general public. Only people that compile from source will need to install vlc-devel. It is also true that the user must also have vlc installed. But without that, it will require further configuration before using. The first goal of this project was for a zero-conf, out of the box experience. Yum will take care of the dependency issues if the user has the proper repo installed.

Besides the dependency issue was their any problems with the fixes I implemented. Please let me know your Python version when replying, thank you.

Cheers,
Jason

sideways
18th May 2009, 12:38 PM
Yes, the problem was it wouldn't compile. I'm in Fedora 11 with python 2.6.

With the basic command line tool sp-sc, you can just create a small script sopcast.sh:

#! /bin/bash
sp-sc "$1" 3908 8908 &>/dev/null &
sleep 5
mplayer http://localhost:8908/tv.asf

and to view a stream type:

./sopcast.sh <sop link>

so I don't see why you have to tie it to vlc. If you want simple, then first time it starts it should look for common media players in /usr/bin and either ask the user which one to use or inform the user that no media player was found and please install vlc, smplayer, kaffeine, dragon player, totem + gstreamer codecs etc

iamlost
29th May 2009, 07:19 PM
Hello,
mandriva 2009.1 user here. During the sop-auth installation I got a dependency problem: compat-libstdc++-33 package is not found.
anyone can help me please?

thanks,
T

leigh123linux
29th May 2009, 08:08 PM
Hello,
mandriva 2009.1 user here. During the sop-auth installation I got a dependency problem: compat-libstdc++-33 package is not found.
anyone can help me please?

thanks,
T

It's called libstdc++5 (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/11903089/com/libstdc++5-3.3.6-4mdv2009.0.i586.rpm.html) in mandriva ;)

iamlost
30th May 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I can now run ./sp-sc-auth and open it using vlc.

Just like sp-auth installation, from the sopcast-player installation I got:

A requested package cannot be installed:
sopcast-player-0.2.1-1.fc10.i386 (due to unsatisfied pygtk2-libglade)

even though I do have the pygtk2.0-libglade installed.

There was no error message if I continue the installation, but then there is no sopcast-player installed either.

The next thing I tried is to compile sopcast-player from the source. It went smooth, no error message.
But when I give sopcast-player in terminal, I get:

bash-3.2$ sopcast-player
/usr/bin/python: can't open file '/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.pyc': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Please help.

Cheers,
T

flyguy97
4th June 2009, 09:59 PM
All,

SopCast Player 0.3.0 is now available for download at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player. This version fixes both the channel guide issue and the issue that kept SopCast Player from opening. Additional language support has also been added. Note the main menu entry has moved location from Internet to Sound & Video, this is in response to the overwhelming number of users who prefered the new location. I would like to take a moment to apologize for the long delay in releasing this version. Also, thank you to all of those that have posted ideas on how to work around the pyc issue. Thank you for continued support and I hope you enjoy the new SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

liangsuilong
6th June 2009, 07:03 PM
Congratulation! It sounds great! But Could you introduce what new features are included in new version?

flyguy97
6th June 2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry, no new features. The only reason for the major revision is to denote a huge change in the underlying code. This release fixes any potential issues SopCast Player has with Python 2.6+. Several users using Python 2.6 reported SopCast Player was inoperative, this release fixes that.

Cheers,
Jason

Congratulation! It sounds great! But Could you introduce what new features are included in new version?

BlueC
7th June 2009, 02:55 PM
The only problem I have with this version (and it was same in previous version) is that it won't do a channel update properly - I press the update button and it will get to a certain percentage (different each time) and then say the server is down and not complete the update.

As a work around I download the channel guide manually using wget and then host it locally and change the url in .pySopCast/pySopCast.cfg to point to my locally hosted version. This works fine, so it seems the problem is in the mechanism used to retrieve the channel guide from the url, not the parsing of the guide. It is worth noting that the official url for the channel guide is on a painfully slow host.

flyguy97
7th June 2009, 03:02 PM
I am sorry for the inconvenience, are you on a slow connection? The best way to solve it is to edit /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/FileDownload.py. Edit line 44 where it says socket.setdefaulttimeout(10), keep raising the number until you get a value that works for you. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience, I will look into making the timeout a user-configurable setting in the future.

Cheers,
Jason

The only problem I have with this version (and it was same in previous version) is that it won't do a channel update properly - I press the update button and it will get to a certain percentage (different each time) and then say the server is down and not complete the update.

As a work around I download the channel guide manually using wget and then host it locally and change the url in .pySopCast/pySopCast.cfg to point to my locally hosted version. This works fine, so it seems the problem is in the mechanism used to retrieve the channel guide from the url, not the parsing of the guide. It is worth noting that the official url for the channel guide is on a painfully slow host.

BlueC
7th June 2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Jason thanks for the mega quick response and no need to apologise... it's a very minor niggle!

I'm actually on a pretty fast 20mbit connection so it's not my connection speed just seems the sopcast server is always pretty slow even when using wget/firefox to retrieve it.

Thanks for the quick fix - I just altered it to 30 and it works nicely (albeit still slowly!). FWIW in F10/x86_64 it is "/usr/lib64/sopcast-player/lib/FileDownload.py" :)

Thanks again. I use sopcast loads (especially during the football season) and it is great to be able to do so without launching a windows VM!

Chris

ryptyde
12th June 2009, 01:13 PM
When will we see a Fedora 11 rpm? I enjoyed using it with F10. :)

BlueC
12th June 2009, 01:20 PM
The link below includes a link to a src RPM for F11 that you could build yourself. It will be making it's way to the rpmfusion repo sometime but it looks like the review procedure is stalling somewhat...

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402

Similarly, F11 sp-auth src RPM can be found linked from here:

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392

I can rebuild and publish these somewhere for x86_64 if that helps but I can't build for 32 bit.

ryptyde
12th June 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up and links. It will be good to see it in the repo as a Fedora package. I'm running on 32 bit but thanks for the build offer. :)

M4rc0
21st June 2009, 05:24 PM
When will we see a Fedora 11 rpm? I enjoyed using it with F10. :)

Bump! me too :) F11 x86_64

I tried installing the player after successfully installing sp-auth and I got this:

# rpm -ivh sopcast-player-0.3.0-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libpython2.5.so.1.0()(64bit) is needed by sopcast-player-0.3.0-1.fc10.x86_64

I tried to look for this lipython lib but I didn't find it.

I guess I will have to wait for a F11 rpm :)

rpstitz
21st June 2009, 05:54 PM
I am sorry for the inconvenience, are you on a slow connection? The best way to solve it is to edit /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/FileDownload.py. Edit line 44 where it says socket.setdefaulttimeout(10), keep raising the number until you get a value that works for you. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience, I will look into making the timeout a user-configurable setting in the future.

Cheers,
Jason

I'm on a fast connection and I'm getting the same "server down" error after about 20%...I cannot find the FileDownload.py file. I'm running 32-bit and there is no sopcast-player folder in /usr/share/ or anywhere else that I can find. I've also looked in my home folder...I can find the partial program guide but no FileDownload.py file.

flyguy97
21st June 2009, 06:32 PM
Instead of putting a bandaid on this problem I am going to rehost the channel guide on a Google AppEngine site, the path of the page will be http://sopcast-player.appspot.com/gchlxml when the rehost is complete. I plan on working on this sometime this week, time permitting (which it never does between family, work and tournaments). In the meantime, FileDownload.py is found in the /usr/lib/sopcast-player/lib folder. Sorry for the misleading path in the original message, I am an Ubuntu user and I guess the two distros keep things in different folders.

Cheers,
Jason

I'm on a fast connection and I'm getting the same "server down" error after about 20%...I cannot find the FileDownload.py file. I'm running 32-bit and there is no sopcast-player folder in /usr/share/ or anywhere else that I can find. I've also looked in my home folder...I can find the partial program guide but no FileDownload.py file.

rpstitz
21st June 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the post, I found the file and changed the time-out...I had to go to 60 in order to get it to make it all the way through without timing-out...I'll be looking for your update when the new channel guide host site is ready, and I'll update then.

As for the software, it works great. The connection improved after I was watching for awhile, and I like the fact that it goes full screen when I double-click...that is a standard that I wish all video players would follow. The Chinese subtitles were a bit annoying, but I figure that was part of the movie and as such, out of the control of the player.

I will use this software in the future. Thanks for making me aware of it :)

flyguy97
22nd June 2009, 05:01 AM
I'm really glad everything worked out for you. Keep watching this post to find out when the rehost is complete. I know this is a source of frustration for a lot of users so it has become my number one priority for the project.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the post, I found the file and changed the time-out...I had to go to 60 in order to get it to make it all the way through without timing-out...I'll be looking for your update when the new channel guide host site is ready, and I'll update then.

As for the software, it works great. The connection improved after I was watching for awhile, and I like the fact that it goes full screen when I double-click...that is a standard that I wish all video players would follow. The Chinese subtitles were a bit annoying, but I figure that was part of the movie and as such, out of the control of the player.

I will use this software in the future. Thanks for making me aware of it :)

eliashickman
25th November 2009, 01:45 PM
I'd really like to see this application for Fedora 11 or EVEN 12. Thanks everyone. Just a fan.

flyguy97
25th November 2009, 01:47 PM
I'd really like to see this application for Fedora 11 or EVEN 12. Thanks everyone. Just a fan.

I have packages for both available at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player.

Cheers,
Jason

BlueC
28th November 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the F12 updates Jason much appreicated, working very nicely here on F12 32 bit - watched the Hull-Everton game the other night on it - shame we lost :(

flyguy97
28th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the F12 updates Jason much appreicated, working very nicely here on F12 32 bit - watched the Hull-Everton game the other night on it - shame we lost :(

BlueC,

Sorry to hear you lost, but glad you enjoy the player. Good luck for the rest of the season!

Cheers,
Jason

eliashickman
28th November 2009, 04:43 PM
Sweet thanks for that. Are there any other "channel guides" that you would recommend?

flyguy97
28th November 2009, 06:21 PM
Sweet thanks for that. Are there any other "channel guides" that you would recommend?

I don't know of any other channel guides but I would like to put together a channel guide for live sports broken down into what is typically shown (European Football, American Football, Baseball, MMA, etc...). For those that would like to contribute please reply with your favorite channels and the typical programming. After I have collected a decent amount of channels I will announce the channel guide URL so everyone can enjoy it.

Cheers,
Jason

Gödel
28th November 2009, 07:39 PM
If you could add an option to retrieve the sopcast links at http://myp2p.eu for football (soccer) that would be really cool. I manually cut and paste the links into a command line version of sopcast, sp-sc (http://www.jbg.f2s.com/sp-sc.gz) and view using mplayer or vlc. I'd use your gui if it could retrieve the links automatically.

sp-sc <sop_url> 3900 8900 &>/dev/null &
(wait 10-20 secs, use system monitor in gnome panel to check network activity)
vlc http://localhost:8900/tv.asf &

saqer
18th January 2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the great application.
The readme included in the package reads:

A simple example of sp-sc command line.
./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6001 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
Start to transfer channel 6098, and you can play it on 8908 with VLC or mplayer
by open the url: http://localhost:8908/tv.asf
Do not these numbers in bold need to match?

Also what is the difference between the two numbers in red? shouldn't they match also?

Gödel
18th January 2010, 11:42 AM
6098 should say 6001, otherwise it's correct.

incidentally I would do

./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6001 3908 8908 &>/dev/null &

(to suppress stdout & stderr)

and, after 10-20 secs (once stream established) do:

vlc http://localhost:8908/tv.asf &>/dev/null &

(vlc seems to retain better audio sync than mplayer for sopcast streams)

green-cat-fed
18th January 2010, 03:31 PM
is it working with f12_64 bit? i tried but it seems to search a 32 bit library..

saqer
20th January 2010, 05:56 PM
6098 should say 6001, otherwise it's correct.

incidentally I would do

./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6001 3908 8908 &>/dev/null &

(to suppress stdout & stderr)

and, after 10-20 secs (once stream established) do:

vlc http://localhost:8908/tv.asf &>/dev/null &

(vlc seems to retain better audio sync than mplayer for sopcast streams)

Thanks Gödel,

What does the 3908 number stand for and what is the use of it? I know the 3912 is the port number opened for connection at sopcast server side but have no idea what the 3908 is!

Gödel
20th January 2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Gödel,

What does the 3908 number stand for and what is the use of it? I know the 3912 is the port number opened for connection at sopcast server side but have no idea what the 3908 is!

it's just a random port which shouldn't interfere with any other services, I don't know if it's even used (if you run 'ss -p' it will tell you which ports are open, only 8908 seems to be used)

You can use any port numbers in place of 3908 and 8908, these default ones work fine for me.

@green-cat-fed, it works fine in x86_64 you need compat-libstdc++-33.i686

saqer
28th January 2010, 06:57 PM
it's just a random port which shouldn't interfere with any other services, I don't know if it's even used (if you run 'ss -p' it will tell you which ports are open, only 8908 seems to be used)

You can use any port numbers in place of 3908 and 8908, these default ones work fine for me.

@green-cat-fed, it works fine in x86_64 you need compat-libstdc++-33.i686

Thanks a bunch Gödel.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM CST ----------

Just another question:

I want to stream video from my computer to my wii. Instead of remembering which port to use every time, I would like to do the following:

In my wii mplayer menu I want to put the entry:

hxxp://192.168.1.100/stream
instead of hxxp://192.168.1.100:8908.

So how can I bind the output port 8908 of sopcast to a virtual file "stream"?

wrongip
20th February 2010, 07:50 PM
Can somebody please tell me how to install sopcast-player in opensuse?
Much obliged

wrongip
10th March 2010, 03:55 PM
I tried to install it from tar on opensuse. I got this:

iamlost@linux-qhbu:~/Desktop> make all
make: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.

Can somebody please help?

Gödel
10th March 2010, 06:28 PM
a simple solution for sopcast on any platform is to just download sp-sc (http://www.jbg.f2s.com/sp-sc.gz), then ensure you have /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (eg in fedora do 'yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i686) (NB the 32bit library is required on x86_64) then:

./sp-sc sop://soplink 3900 8900 &>/dev/null &

wait 10~20 secs for connection to establish (helps to have gnome system monitor applet for network activity in panel to check)

then view stream with

vlc http://localhost:8900/tv.asf &>/dev/null &

You can write a small script to automate this.

Incidentally, for veetle (http://veetle.com/) streams which don't work in x86_64 if you can run firefox from a terminal to see what the url should be and view it with vlc too.

wrongip
14th March 2010, 09:37 AM
Gödel, thanks for the info. I tried it and it works great. But where do I get the links for sopcast channels?

Gödel
14th March 2010, 05:46 PM
Gödel, thanks for the info. I tried it and it works great. But where do I get the links for sopcast channels?

a good source for all p2p broadcasts is http://myp2p.eu/ , just right-click and copy the sopcast links sop://xxx into the terminal command above.

For veetle streams (which are usually higher quality), you will probably find that video doesn't work in x86_64 (after you install veetle player and nspluginwrapper.i686), so start firefox from a terminal, then open the veetle channel and you'll see something like

[00000252] main interface error: OSD menu volume update failed
http 0.0.0.0:52667
int mylibvlc_playlist_add_extended(mylibvlc_instance_t *, const char*, const char*, int, const char**, libvlc_exception_t*)
Trying to add http://127.0.0.1:52667/77.67.109.194,4b94ae926a425 to playlist.
add: returned 0 (no error)
vlcplugin.cpp:395 void LibVlcInstanceMgr::playJustOneInstance(int, int, libvlc_exception_t*)
status change: ( new input: http://127.0.0.1:52667/77.67.109.194,4b94ae926a425 )
status change: ( audio volume: 256 )
status change: ( play state: 1 )
[00000248] main playlist: nothing to play
status change: ( stop state: 0 )

then, in another terminal window type

vlc http://127.0.0.1:52667/77.67.109.194,4b94ae926a425 &>/dev/null &

you need to keep the veetle page open, but you can minimise firefox, so best to open it in a separate firefox window if you want to continue browsing while watching the stream :)

redordead
6th September 2010, 12:35 AM
Hi all ... before I hit the install button. Has anybody tried installing on 32bit F13?