PDA

View Full Version : New Fedora Based Distro Coming

Hillbilly
19th May 2004, 03:48 PM
TrinOS is a new (in development) Fedora based distro. It will be for churches as a low cost (free) alternative to "other" operating systems.

Come check out the project site

http://www.groovypenguin.com

pamount
26th May 2004, 01:30 AM
I have a silly question.

If Fedora is available for free why do they need to develop a "Fedora based alternative" so churches can have an "operating system free"?

Will it have features that Fedora doesn't have?

Thanks

crackers
26th May 2004, 04:21 AM
Probably a different set of bundled software, plus on the web-site it mentions custom graphics (I'm guessing icons, themes, and screen backgrounds), etc. for a more focussed "out-of-the-box" experience.

Oh, Hillbilly - why do you need to mess with anaconda? I'd check into the "kickstart" files myself, if I were you.

pamount
26th May 2004, 05:44 AM
Sounds like fun. I'll have to look at it for my church.

Have a good day

Jman
26th May 2004, 07:36 AM
A very worthy cause.

I wonder if it is possible to remaster the Fedora software set without messing with the installer very much. Just remove most things, and add a couple custom rpms.

redhat71
27th May 2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by pamount
I have a silly question.

If Fedora is available for free why do they need to develop a "Fedora based alternative" so churches can have an "operating system free"?

Thanks

the most obvious reason that i can think of is that "4 cds are way too much for some people as CORE"

Hillbilly
14th July 2004, 05:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry I have been out of pocket for a while, but the project has not stopped moving. I need to create this distro ( revamp) so that it fits on less cds and so that it includes Bible study tools, internet filters, etc. It will be a Christian operating system. This whole project is a sub-project of my new ministry, Groovy Penguin Ministries. http://www.groovypenguin.com

Please come check out the site. I have totally redone everything. I am still looking for volunteers who might know a little something about making a distro like this. I want to help in any way, but I don't think I am 100% capable of getting this project finished. Please contact me if you want to help. And thank you for the posts.

foolish
14th July 2004, 10:40 AM
Good luck with everything, and keep us posted.

Viro
14th July 2004, 11:14 AM
I'm curious, but what does TrinOS add over the default Fedora that would be compelling for Christians? A few Christian friends and myself use Linux (Fedora, Slackware, etc) and I don't see what compelling reason there would be for a church specific version of Linux.

If you could get these publishers of BIble literature to produces CD-ROMS that weren't Windows centric, that would be even better :)

Hillbilly
14th July 2004, 11:58 AM
Ok, you want to know what would compel me to redo Fedora? Well, you and your friends evidently know something about Linux don't you? Does your pastor? What about your church secretary? No, they use Windows or at the most, Mac. So, they are not just going to install Fedora and go. They need Bible Study software, membership software, budget software, etc. I am going to include all of this and more Christian-based software into Fedora. Because you know what, they are probably not going to know how to find and load software onto Linux.

This project is not for your average Linux guru. It is to save churches money.

Viro
14th July 2004, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a plan. Do these software, i.e. Bible Study software, membership software, budget software, already exist on Linux? I'm curious, since I've been looking for the Bible study stuff for a long time but haven't found any that run on Linux. Getting them to run under wine is a real pain.

Hillbilly
15th July 2004, 03:59 AM
Try the gnome sword and Bibletime projects. Just google tham and you will find.

yr2alex
21st July 2004, 07:16 AM
you'll get it done HillBilly just have some faith, some "now faith" Heb 11:1 to be exact and like the rock HE built HIS church on the gates of hell will not prevail.... i use fedora and mdk but i will gladly add TrinOS to my arsenal of anti-MS-ware =)

Ug
21st July 2004, 07:53 AM
Here in the UK - you're fairly unlikely to find a vicar tapping away on a computer in any serious way. ;)

I'd never even seen or heard of a bible study program until a few weeks ago. ;)

ilja
21st July 2004, 07:58 AM
Here in the UK - you're fairly unlikely to find a vicar tapping away on a computer in any serious way. ;)

I'd never even seen or heard of a bible study program until a few weeks ago. ;)
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=366 offers a lot of very interesting programms in that directions. Even a lot for Linux.

Hillbilly
20th August 2004, 10:40 PM
new site address

http://www.futurereach.org

I am incorporating now. We have a Pres, Vice Pres, Sec, and Tread. We are filing for 501c3 tax exempt status. Check out the site and register. Please make suggestions and help us out.

imdeemvp
20th August 2004, 10:49 PM
I have a silly question.

Thanks

MAYBE THE PENGUIN IS A BELIEVER AND decided to make a donation :D

Jman
20th August 2004, 11:03 PM
I found a how to on rebuilding the Fedora CDs (http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/fc2_update.htm) that I mentioned here (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19129).

I'm not sure if you can add new packages, but it's a place to get started.

Hillbilly
24th August 2004, 06:27 PM
Here is what I am looking for:

Anaconda based installer (branded with our logos)
Bibletime Bible study software and every available English Bible, dict, commentary, etc they offer
Latest version of Open Office
Latest version of Wine
Replace all backgrounds with our images
Firefox browser preinstalled

We need a programmer to get all of this done. We need a volunteer. None of us are getting paid for anything we do. The programmer who helps complete this project will get full credit and may credit himself anywhere in the software.

GreyGeek
24th August 2004, 06:56 PM
Then there is Charles White's "BibleReader", written in C and fast as lightening.