PDA

View Full Version : long boot time

joseph-54
4th January 2009, 11:11 AM
Hi, new to this forum so apoligys if wrong place. Have installed fedora 10 on my PC after using acer aspire one netbook, no problem with install used live cd and installed from desktop (now thats real clever) a few problems with music player and skype but sorted that (amazed as i never going to win mastermind ) my only question is the boot time is very long is this normal . Its not my PC as i use to run vista (sorry to swear have now seen the light ) and that booted faster. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to make it boot faster. Any reply will help as i said im new to all this but loving it :)

glennzo
4th January 2009, 11:47 AM
Hello joseph-54. Welcome to Fedora Forum. A couple things come to mind. There is a point in the boot process where the system hangs with the message "cannot detect stabilization. Waiting 10 seconds", or something close to that (from memory). If you boot your system and hit ESC you will see all the booting messages and probably see where it hangs. There is a fix. See this thread, http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=203455&highlight=stabilization, post #28. Also, you can turn off un-needed services on your Fedora system. That should help to improve boot time. See this web page, http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html#service. Look at the links. They should be very helpful.

Nokia
4th January 2009, 12:04 PM
Before following glennzo's advice, do this
su
yum update
reboot

joseph-54
4th January 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply glennzo and nokia had a quick check and found my system is booting 2 versions of fedora 10 not sure whats going on yet but will get back when ive sorted it. God I love this linux you feel you are really achieving something.Most of my friends now refer to me as a geek, but at least i am in control of my PC not Bill Gates .......thanks again

December
6th February 2009, 09:53 AM
I would love to see if there is a way to boot Fedora 10 faster too. I have a dual-boot laptop and Vista (Sorry, but AutoCAD does not run on Linux even with Wine / CX Office - so I have no choice) boots significantly faster then Fedora does.

Joseph - please do keep us updated on your quest for a faster boot!

lauwers
6th February 2009, 10:42 AM
I would love to see if there is a way to boot Fedora 10 faster too. I have a dual-boot laptop and Vista (Sorry, but AutoCAD does not run on Linux even with Wine / CX Office - so I have no choice) boots significantly faster then Fedora does.

Joseph - please do keep us updated on your quest for a faster boot!

What came unto my mind is beside error message from the system how many RAM do you use?
That stabilization thing happens once to me and it seems to resolved it self.
On the other hand I run WIndows XP , Mandriva and opensuse X86_64 and Fedora 10 X86_64 , and Fedora it is fastest in booting , maybe it is because I use LXDE as GUI
What I do notice is using 2 GB or 4 GB RAM does not make a big difference