PDA

View Full Version : Gnome or KDE

Jammerdelray
1st January 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm a gnome user for roughly 2 years now, have been reading about KDE and how stable it has become. Are there any bugs that stand out more than Gnome in Fedora 10?

New Years is almost here in the South Florida! Happy New Years to everyone in the community :)

bob
1st January 2009, 04:59 AM
If you have the space (and who hasn't these days), why not groupinstall KDE with PackageKit or Yum/Yumex and try it for yourself? You'll still have your Gnome desktop and can see if you like the new KDE for yourself.

Dan
1st January 2009, 05:00 AM
Happy New Year, guy.

In honor of the new year ... I'm going to let this one (Gnome vs KDE thread) live. But it will now become the poster child for the concept, and the only Gnome vs KDE thread which will continue to live to see the light of its second day. <..:cool:..>

(By way of an explanation ... just search the forum for Gnome vs KDE or vice-versa.) <..:p..>

That being said ... Fedora is by its nature Gnome-centric. For a brief tour through the pitfalls of change ... go through some of the grouse and gripe threads six months ago when F9 came out with KDE 4.x!

You'll find a lot of them in the How to Complain link in my signature links.

As a general rule, both have high spots and, shall we say, less than high spots. But the very best way to find out is to install both, and swap between them for a while. Both are available in the repos, and install side by side quite nicely.

Dan

ppesci
1st January 2009, 05:14 AM
My advice:

Try KDE.

HTH

Seve
1st January 2009, 05:15 AM
Holy Bat Crap ... Robin !

Dan didn't shut er down....:D

On a more serious note, just follow the advice that bob gave you and give KDE a whirl for a while and see what you think.

Seve

ppesci
1st January 2009, 05:17 AM
Holy Bat Crap ... Robin !

Dan didn't shut er down....:D

On a more serious note, just follow the advice that bob gave you and give KDE a whirl for a while and see what you think.

Seve

And put your findings here of course.

marcrblevins
1st January 2009, 06:03 AM
This does not look like a KDE vs Gnome thread.
KDE is great and stable. Can't wait to see the new Gnome whenever it comes out.

Cheers.

ppesci
1st January 2009, 06:59 AM
Kde team has done a good work (except for konqueror) and in the other side gnome is more mono dependent than ever. A really bad thing.

(this thread is warming but shhhhhh, don't tell Dan about this) ;).

Wayne
1st January 2009, 07:05 AM
A bit of a red herring as it's easily removed in Fedora and not missed here at all:

yum remove libgdiplus

Mono free :)

Edit: Oh, and if you install from the Gnome LiveCD, Mono is not included :)

Wayne

ppesci
1st January 2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, I removed mono but I remember a thread a year ago when some users request fedora packagers to include an option in the installer to give to user the option for install fedora without mono crap. Unfortunately that request went to nowhere.

Jammerdelray
1st January 2009, 07:34 AM
Thank you for the Happy New Years :D

I did not mean to make it a Gnome vs KDE thread, I feel both nice, was just curious about any major bugs, not so much about features since I'm aware of them :P

Thanks for your info.

I'll install KDE too then and post how it goes here.