PDA

View Full Version : service configuration not working

unix1adm
31st December 2008, 05:10 PM
I want to stop bluetooth as I don't have it on my system ans start SSH but for some reason when I go into the Service Configuration menu as root I cannot change any of the setting. I select the bluetooh and try to "customize" the setting but they wont change. Try to disable/enable etc but the application wont work.

Whats up with that?
as stated i am logged in as root

I was able to stop and start using command lines but I want to know why the gui wont work for any of them not just bluetooth.

unix1adm
31st December 2008, 05:15 PM
Yes I tried Google and some other sites. but still cannot get an answer.

kamil
31st December 2008, 09:50 PM
Yes I tried Google and some other sites. but still cannot get an answer.

Just use the chkconfig command.

First, you may want to check which runlevels the bluetooth service is on at. To do this type:

/sbin/chkconfig --list bluetooth

Then, decide which runlevel (if any) the bluetooth service is not to run (e.g. 3, 4, and 5).

When you have taken the decision, type (as root):

chkconfig --level 345 bluetooth off

This is just an example. This command will result in that the bluetooth service will not be started at runlevels 3, 4, and 5. (runlevels: 3 - full multi-user with console logins only, 4 -- user definable, 5 -- full multi-user with display manager and console logins).

Kamil

unix1adm
31st December 2008, 10:59 PM
yes i did that but that does not explain or fix the real issue with the gui... I still need a solution for that.

kamil
1st January 2009, 12:47 PM
yes i did that but that does not explain or fix the real issue with the gui... I still need a solution for that.

My post was not intended to fix the scs gui issue, which is related to the much-discussed major d-bus problem. You will find plenty of information on possible solutions. Search the forum for "system-config-services".

Kamil

Wayne
1st January 2009, 01:33 PM
I think this was answered in another post of yours. When logged in as root, a lot of things don't/won't work. Log-in as a normal user and try again with the root password.

Wayne