PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit F10 + Firefox + 32-bit Flash = no sound: one solution

wipe
31st December 2008, 04:24 PM
If you start Firefox from the command line and get these errors:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libartsdsp.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libartsc.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
chances are that you are using KDE and have installed the 64-bit Arts sound server. I'm guessing that the plugin (or some other part of the chain) finds Arts and is trying to use it. Install the 32-bit Arts packages also and sound works again on Youtube.

This is an obscure dependency not taken into consideration by the packagers.

sideways
31st December 2008, 05:16 PM
Also note that the 64-bit flash plugin for linux works fine in F10 with firefox 3.0.5

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081117-adobe-starts-64-bit-flash-testing-with-linux-alpha.html

wipe
3rd January 2009, 12:52 AM
A moment ago I suddenly lost Flash audio, again. The system had decided, for whatever reason, to start using a different audio mechanism. This was the error:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2162:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
It got fixed by installing the 32-bit alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package.

I'm starting to feel PulseAudio is behind all this mess, because KDE startup and shutdown sounds were broken until I got an error message saying that PulseAudio was not working and a backup system had to be used. PulseAudio has caused problems to other people too; perhaps it is too immature.

extendedping
25th January 2009, 09:35 PM
I had it working in x86_64 10 and boom today I have no sound. hmm. just hmm.

serverman
29th January 2009, 10:33 PM
I had it working in x86_64 10 and boom today I have no sound. hmm. just hmm.

Yeah i think this error came with and update a while back because i had same issue worked one day then it didn't the next but i didn't realize or care until today. but i lost sound to almost everything but pulse played cds and so on.

I think that alot of the add ons still have not been coded to work with 64 bit but installing 32bit sound fixed it