PDA

View Full Version : How to setup fc10 to listen to streaming audio?

bobo60
29th December 2008, 06:47 AM
HI,

I am running LINUX X86_64 FC 10, FIREFOX 3.0.5. how do i setup the system so i can hear streaming audio? im am trying to listen to a streaming audio from a radio station web site, but i cannot hear any audio...bob

Wayne
29th December 2008, 06:50 AM
You probably need the codecs, look for the dangermouse set-up script or mjmwired, then use the player of choice to listen...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171660

Wayne

bobo60
29th December 2008, 07:36 AM
wayne,

i tried installing the codecs using "EASYLIFE". looks like it installed and tested ok. but the streaming audio still does not work from the radio site, and i tried another radio site that i listen to, and it will not play either. should i remove EASYLIFE and install danger's config tool?...bob

lovenemesis
29th December 2008, 10:01 AM
Have you installed the embedded media player support for Firefox ? Things like gecko-mediaplayer or mozilla-vlc from rpmfussion repository ? If you did not, try installing one of them.

If your radio site still refused to work, install an extension named "MediaWrapper" for Firefox.
Good luck!

glennzo
29th December 2008, 11:13 AM
I often listen to streaming audio. The only thing I've ever needed to make it work is gstreamer-plugns-ugly and a restart of the media player (rhythmbox). sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly.

trigpoint
29th December 2008, 11:47 AM
HI,

I am running LINUX X86_64 FC 10, FIREFOX 3.0.5. how do i setup the system so i can hear streaming audio? im am trying to listen to a streaming audio from a radio station web site, but i cannot hear any audio...bob

What format is it in? Have you a URL for the station?

It is far easier to help if we know what you are trying to do.

Radio stations broadcast in a lot of different formats. Most I listen to are in realaudio, but some use windows media, others use flash. Some its something hidden behind flash,

bobo60
29th December 2008, 04:52 PM
hi

here is the uRL for the radio station
http://www.wpdh.com/

i have everything installed in the before mentioned posts except "mediawrapper" where do i find this extension/plugin? i have "pluginwrapper" installed. is that the same as "mediawrapper"?...bob

trigpoint
29th December 2008, 10:41 PM
Well I got it to play.....
Not in firefox though.

Its a windows media stream, buried behind silverlight,

I clicked the listen live link, was prompted to install silverlight, but firefox took me to a download of moonlight (I had never heard of this, so have learned something thanks).

Firefox restarted, and I clicked listen live again. A player started but no sound.

Copied the url and opened it with wget. Viewed the resulting file, found the real url.

Copied into a shell and opened it with vlc, was able to listen.

HTH