PDA

View Full Version : Fixing GoodWeather for FC2 & gdesklets 0.30

JonR
20th August 2004, 09:34 PM
Solving the GoodWeather Bug with gdesklets 0.30.

It's fairly clear from the screen shot galleries that one of the most popular gdesklet displays is GoodWeather. Ug's HowTo for F1 and gdesklets-0.26 has generated plenty of interest on its own.

I'm running FC2 and I wanted to explore gdesklets, not having used them before so I decided to see if I could follow Ug's tutorial with FC2 and gdesklets 0.30 except that I wanted to install using yum rather than from tarballs so that I wouldn't need to worry too much about dependencies.

Here's How:

To install gdesklets and GoodWeather onto FC2 using Yum:

1. Set up Yum to access a repository which has gdesklets and GoodWeather. I got the rpms from DAG at: http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/

2. Become su and run the following command:

# yum install gdesklets

3. Presuming this completes without errors you can now install GoodWeather:

# yum install GoodWeather

4. Now start the gdesklets daemon, either by finding it on the Accessories menu or as a standard user typing the command:

$ gdesklets start

6. Right click the gdesklets icon which appears at the right of your taskbar and click the "Manage desklets" option on the popup menu.
You should see on the left a folder called "uncategorized". Click on this and GoodWeather should appear in the pane on the right.

7. At this point all you should have to do is double click GW but if you do it will fail, complaining about an invalid .display file. I believe that gdesklets 0.26 was more forgiving in this respect and GW would run OK under 0.26. Version 0.30 however will not run GW unless you correct the error in the .display file.

To do this, become su again and edit the file /usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/GoodWeather/GoodWeather.display and change the <metha> tag at line 4 to read <meta>. Save the file. My edited .display file is attached.

You should now be able to run GoodWeather under gdesklets 0.30.

8. One last thing. Setting your location. Go to "weather.com" and select the nearest city to your location. Hover the mouse over the link in the "Currently in " line at the top of the page above the weather display and the location code is displayed in the status bar below as
weather.com/weather/local/CCCCCCCC?from=mycity_wx
where CCCCCCCC is the code.
Right click on GoodWeather and select Configure Display.
Enter your code into the Location field in the Configuration Panel of GoodWeather.

That's it!

JonR

BoredSilly
23rd August 2004, 01:25 AM
I installed both packages but even after applying your fix I still get incorrect display. I even used your attachment but came up with the same error.

Error:
Invalid display file '/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/GoodWeather/GoodWeather.display'

The display file contains invalid data and could not be loaded.

Using fedora core 2, gdesklets 0.30-1.1 and GoodWeather 0.4-1.1

Any ideas??

imdeemvp
23rd August 2004, 01:54 AM
i had same problem last night and fixed it and i will provide you with the packages you can use for fc2 and make sure you get those packages listed for fc2:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gdesklets/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gdesklets-clock/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gdesklets-goodweather/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gdesklets-starterbar/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gdesklets-sysinfo/

and they should all work just fine :Dhttp://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-107

desipher
23rd August 2004, 02:15 AM
Nice pic imdeemvp!!!. I must be retared because I can't get simple desktop app working!!!!.

imdeemvp
23rd August 2004, 02:19 AM
it takes time to learn AND you are not retarded!

JonR
23rd August 2004, 09:29 AM
i had same problem last night and fixed it and i will provide you with the packages you can use for fc2 and make sure you get those packages listed for fc2:

I'm interested to know more about the problem and fix. I've installed on 3 machines so far without encountering any problems. Can you post the details imdeepvp?

jonr.

imdeemvp
23rd August 2004, 10:18 AM
I'm interested to know more about the problem and fix. I've installed on 3 machines so far without encountering any problems. Can you post the details imdeepvp?

jonr.

jonr-

i was getting same message as BoredSilly and i decided to install via yum......then i click'd me if Dag has gDesklets they may have some of the packages that make this poppy work and did a search and they had them so i am using that one's i posted! :D

engwnbie
24th August 2004, 12:02 AM
Hey I downloaded with yum and had it working. But I had to surf over to /usr/share/gdesklets and start gdesklets by double clicking it, and then it worked. I could not get it to work by the menu eg. menu|accessories|gdesklets. It would give me and error. So I removed them by rpm -e gdesklets...
I then down loaded the rpm from dag and installed by rpm -Uvh etc. again the only way it would work is by surfing over and double klicking same as before. Problem is how do I remove the old gdesklets that resides in HOME directory. That is the only problem I'm having else it works. That is the one that gives me and error which is the old version.

imdeemvp
24th August 2004, 12:16 AM
delete the whole thing again and make sure there are no folders in any directories and if you see it erase it....reboot :( if you want too and reinstall :D

engwnbie
24th August 2004, 12:19 AM
delete the whole thing again and make sure there are no folders in any directories and if you see it erase it....
So delete the ./gdesklets folder on my home folder?

imdeemvp
24th August 2004, 12:22 AM
yes.........and reinstall everything! i did twice until i nailed correctly.

engwnbie
24th August 2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks I thought that was what I needed to do but you sometimes if you dont ask.
Leo

engwnbie
27th August 2004, 04:46 PM
Ok tried everything described above, and sort of worked. Then I tried every combination there is to try.
1. If you have previous version list them by rpm -q <gdesklets> try to get rid of them by either rpm -e <gdesklets> or by finding where they are and delete all files and folders. This is done as su.
2. Once certain that they are gone, again as su just yum install gdesklets-goodweather. if you have the dag site in your yum.conf file. I will take care of the dependencies.
3. Once done and no errors. Then gedit /usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/GoodWeather/GoodWeather.display and modify the line with metha to read meta and click on save and exit.
4. As normal user navigate to /usr/share/gdesklets and copy Sensor Folder to your Home folder if you click on Edit|preferences a window with File Management Preferences pops up and check Show hidden and backup files then close.
5. Paste the Sensor Folder into the .gdesklets folder.
6. Menu|Accessories|gDeslets icon.
7. Double Click on uncategorized and then on the right double click GoodWeather Icon and place it where you like. Then with your browser go to weather.com and find your location code and the type in to the box when you right click on goodweather|configure.
That it.

ericdan
4th December 2004, 02:55 AM
i tried this method but it still doesn't work. i keep getting the same error. can"t read the file GoodWeather.display and also it says IconButton sensor missing.
where can i get the sensor from?

Solving the GoodWeather Bug with gdesklets 0.30.

It's fairly clear from the screen shot galleries that one of the most popular gdesklet displays is GoodWeather. Ug's HowTo for F1 and gdesklets-0.26 has generated plenty of interest on its own.

I'm running FC2 and I wanted to explore gdesklets, not having used them before so I decided to see if I could follow Ug's tutorial with FC2 and gdesklets 0.30 except that I wanted to install using yum rather than from tarballs so that I wouldn't need to worry too much about dependencies.

Here's How:

To install gdesklets and GoodWeather onto FC2 using Yum:

1. Set up Yum to access a repository which has gdesklets and GoodWeather. I got the rpms from DAG at: http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/

2. Become su and run the following command:

# yum install gdesklets

3. Presuming this completes without errors you can now install GoodWeather:

# yum install GoodWeather

4. Now start the gdesklets daemon, either by finding it on the Accessories menu or as a standard user typing the command:

$ gdesklets start

6. Right click the gdesklets icon which appears at the right of your taskbar and click the "Manage desklets" option on the popup menu.
You should see on the left a folder called "uncategorized". Click on this and GoodWeather should appear in the pane on the right.

7. At this point all you should have to do is double click GW but if you do it will fail, complaining about an invalid .display file. I believe that gdesklets 0.26 was more forgiving in this respect and GW would run OK under 0.26. Version 0.30 however will not run GW unless you correct the error in the .display file.

To do this, become su again and edit the file /usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/GoodWeather/GoodWeather.display and change the <metha> tag at line 4 to read <meta>. Save the file. My edited .display file is attached.

You should now be able to run GoodWeather under gdesklets 0.30.

8. One last thing. Setting your location. Go to "weather.com" and select the nearest city to your location. Hover the mouse over the link in the "Currently in " line at the top of the page above the weather display and the location code is displayed in the status bar below as
weather.com/weather/local/CCCCCCCC?from=mycity_wx
where CCCCCCCC is the code.
Right click on GoodWeather and select Configure Display.
Enter your code into the Location field in the Configuration Panel of GoodWeather.

That's it!

JonR

greensky
16th December 2004, 05:49 PM
i tried this method but it still doesn't work. i keep getting the same error. can"t read the file GoodWeather.display and also it says IconButton sensor missing.
where can i get the sensor from?

This didn't work for me either. My solution was to install gdesklets, then open the "manage desklets" window. AFter that you can go to the gdesklets website and drag the download link for the goodweather applet into that window. It will download and auto-install it. I'm not sure why that's the only way that works for me, but at least it works.

I hope this helps anyone who is having troubles with this.

BandC
23rd April 2005, 01:05 AM
greensky's way works. Thanks man.