PDA

View Full Version : Pine for Core 10

kd5de
28th December 2008, 02:12 PM
Well folks as awalys when the office is empty for a holiday I try to upgrade and update. Did a new install of core 10 a few problems with the network manager and wireless but went ETH0 and that will be resolved later. But can't seem to be able to find Pine that will install. That is an absolute must in this office and it will always be until I die or retire. Pine from the Pine site will not install due to dependencies. Currently using core 5 and all is well but need pine for core 10 or will have to change distros:mad:
Mel

bob
28th December 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure you've tried installing with yum and nogpgcheck to locate the list of missing deps. In my case, I come up with libcrypto.so.4, libssl.so.4 and libldap.so.2 Since none are immediately found with yum, I turned to RPMPbone and found hits for all of them with Sourceforge packages.

Naturally, those packages may end up giving you other dep problems. I don't need Pine, so I'm not going to pursue it further, but it's possibly a starting point. Good luck.

scottro
28th December 2008, 02:39 PM
I thought pine had been replaced by alpine. (I don't know if that's in the repos either though.)

Lately, what I've been doing, rather than searching around for rpms, is putting in a minimal ubuntu install in a VM, and using alien to make rpms from its packages. (According to Wikipedia, 23,000 vs. 8,000 for Fedora). I haven't, however, tried with pine or alpine. I'd be surprised if alpine wasnt' available though.

kd5de
28th December 2008, 02:56 PM
Well that is what I get for being out of the current stream for 3 years. I found it as Alpine and it is installed now. A lot of things have changed and some of the things seem to be a bit broken. Things like config-system-display won't work even after I installed it and the service Configuration tool is also broken. Glad I have been using Linux since it was 6 months old I don't need the eye candy.

RupertPupkin
29th December 2008, 01:19 AM
Cool, a fellow pine nut. :) Alpine has been out for a couple years, I think it's an improvement over Pine. One nice thing is that there's a web version of Alpine, for those who prefer a web interface. The Fedora alpine package in the repos doesn't contain the web version, you have to get it from the source: http://www.washington.edu/alpine/

kd5de
29th December 2008, 09:04 AM
Well I have used Pine and Elm since day one so glad to get it resolved, Must say I am not impressed with Core 10 it is slower than Core 5 eventhough it is installed on a box with twice the cpu speed of the Core 5 box. Spent the wekend tweaking the install, but several critical apps are not available from the repos.Quanta Plus is the one that will keep me from making the move and NVU is also critical. I finally gave up on trying to get the wireless connection on boot. In other words wasted a whole weekend trying to upgrade Fedora to a version that is no better than what I started with?:(
Mel

StephenH
30th December 2008, 02:50 AM
Well I have used Pine and Elm since day one so glad to get it resolved, Must say I am not impressed with Core 10 it is slower than Core 5 eventhough it is installed on a box with twice the cpu speed of the Core 5 box. Spent the wekend tweaking the install, but several critical apps are not available from the repos.Quanta Plus is the one that will keep me from making the move and NVU is also critical. I finally gave up on trying to get the wireless connection on boot. In other words wasted a whole weekend trying to upgrade Fedora to a version that is no better than what I started with?:(
Mel

Have you tried Cone? It is much like I recall Pine being like when I first encountered it.

bob
30th December 2008, 03:01 AM
Naturally, you can continue with Fedora 5 if it's working perfectly for you. If '10' is not to your liking, be sure to give other distros a test run. They're all linux after all. It's play time! :D

RupertPupkin
2nd January 2009, 12:20 AM
Have you tried Cone? It is much like I recall Pine being like when I first encountered it.
Cone is decent, and very light and simple. But Alpine is just so much more advanced and powerful.