PDA

View Full Version : rant about gnome

PixelCloud
20th August 2004, 03:44 PM
welll i really dislike gnome now. I decided to try it for the frist time today (flux user), and i was just running 2 apps
console and firefox and swtiching between those two apps was very hard!. Because apparently when i click an app in the taskbar i dont really want to use that app, i just want to look at it! and have the focus still in my webbroswer, so when i go to type in commands firefox decides to go crazy and search the page for the letters i typed! Good job. When i clikc the ****ing application in the taskbar i want to use it! Secondly, whos great idea was it to make natiules open a new window for every folder i click on? I mean i dont use it often but when i do, iits the worst thing ever! Oh well, back to flux.

kbradl1
20th August 2004, 04:04 PM
Gnome is still developing and it is getting better. I have been quite happy with Gnome and find it responsive and effective. This is one reason why RedHat uses it as the default desktop in Fedora. I have used KDE and XFCE and don't find they match my desired balance of features and size. I haven't tried flux yet, but I might since it has a following and I like to see everything linux has to offer.

"Secondly, whos great idea was it to make natiules(sic) open a new window for every folder i click on?"

This is a much debated topic in gnome called spatial nautilus and it is supposed to better provide a mental model of a filesystem for computer newbies. I don't like it but it can be turned off.

http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/spatial-nautilus.html

sailor
20th August 2004, 04:20 PM
aren't the "focus" settings adjustable in gnome...I think there are settings for it somewhere...
I am with you on the Nautilus...i don't like it ....I use Konqueror with a dual pane setup

imdeemvp
20th August 2004, 07:24 PM
i've playing aroung with gnome icons, themes, window borders........i like it even more so i would give it another try by doing the following:

If you go on http://www.gnome-look.org
Under "GTK 2.x" or "Metacity" download theme you want.
Leave it compressed/archived.

Run: gnome-theme-manager, click "Install Theme", browse your downloaded file and click "Install"
Now click "Theme Details" and you got three sections: Controls, Window Borders and Icons
Some themes are only Icons, other are Controls and Icons, ....
Find your installed theme there.

and play around with gnome......:D

triplehead
20th August 2004, 08:14 PM
aren't the "focus" settings adjustable in gnome...I think there are settings for it somewhere...
I am with you on the Nautilus...i don't like it ....I use Konqueror with a dual pane setup
you can change how windows and focus acts on menu -> preferences -> windows ;)

PixelCloud
20th August 2004, 08:51 PM
you can change how windows and focus acts on menu -> preferences -> windows ;)

i figured that out later..

but what bright devs decided to default it like that? hehe

anyways i still like flux alot more.. smaller, faster, looks better (imo)

foolish
21st August 2004, 12:56 AM
Completely useless thread. Please don't feed the trolls in the future. Closed!