PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Mount Audio Disc

rthomas
26th December 2008, 03:39 AM
Whenever I insert an audio CD in my drive (DVD multi recorder) on Fedora 10, it tries to automount and I get the following error:

Unable to mount Audio Disc
Cannot find drive /dev/sr0

The kernel also logs the following errors in /var/log/messages :
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Dec 26 12:40:23 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0

Any ideas?

Robert

stlouis
26th December 2008, 07:12 AM
Check the output of the following command; (With CD in Drive)

cd-info -A

Or post the results...

rthomas
26th December 2008, 01:34 PM
Here are the results of cd-info -A

Thanks!

CD location : /dev/cdrom
CD driver name: GNU/Linux
access mode: ioctl

Vendor : HL-DT-ST
Model : DVDRAM GSA-4084N
Revision : KQ09
Hardware : CD-ROM or DVD
Can eject : Yes
Can close tray : Yes
Can disable manual eject : Yes
Can select juke-box disc : No

Can set drive speed : No
Can read multiple sessions (e.g. PhotoCD) : Yes
Can hard reset device : Yes

Reading....
Can read Mode 2 Form 1 : Yes
Can read Mode 2 Form 2 : Yes
Can read (S)VCD (i.e. Mode 2 Form 1/2) : Yes
Can read C2 Errors : Yes
Can read IRSC : Yes
Can read Media Channel Number (or UPC) : Yes
Can play audio : Yes
Can read CD-DA : Yes
Can read CD-R : Yes
Can read CD-RW : Yes
Can read DVD-ROM : Yes

Writing....
Can write CD-RW : Yes
Can write DVD-R : Yes
Can write DVD-RAM : Yes
Can write DVD-RW : No
Can write DVD+RW : No

Disc mode is listed as: CD-DA
CD-ROM Track List (1 - 3)
#: MSF LSN Type Green? Copy? Channels Premphasis?
1: 00:02:00 000000 audio false no 2 no
2: 04:06:00 018300 audio false no 2 no
3: 08:09:65 036590 audio false no 2 no
170: 12:12:70 054820 leadout (122 MB raw, 122 MB formatted)
Media Catalog Number (MCN): 0000000000000
Last CD Session LSN: 0
audio status: no status
volume level port 0: 255 (0..255) 100 (0..100)
volume level port 1: 255 (0..255) 100 (0..100)
volume level port 2: 0 (0..255) 0 (0..100)
volume level port 3: 0 (0..255) 0 (0..100)

stlouis
26th December 2008, 05:27 PM
Have you tried to mount other disks?

Do they give you errors too?

What happens when you try to manually mount the cd/dvd from the command prompt?

PabloTwo
26th December 2008, 07:40 PM
You are both spinning your wheels, going nowhere down a dead end road. I have never seen an audio CD that can be mounted, and don't expect to see that. Linux does not mount devices, it mounts file systems.

Audio CD's are burned in RedBook format, which is not a fs as such, at least not as Linux is concerned. Do 'man mount' in a terminal. Look at all the file systems that are mentioned. Do you see RedBook? No, you don't. Data CD/DVD's and even CD's containing video files are placed on iso9660 type file systems, which Linux recognizes and will happily mount.

Audio CD's are 'accessed', by software on your system, but not mounted as you are attempting to do. You need to specify what application you prefer to launch when you insert an audio CD into your optical drive. Put a data CD in your drive, it will usually auto mount. Do 'mount', and you'll see a listing for it as

/dev/sr0 -t iso9660..blah..blah..blah.

Put an audio CD in your drive. Listen to the music in Rhythmbox or whatever. While the music is playing, do a 'mount' command. See anything /dev/sr0 mounted? Nope. Do a Google search on mounting audio CD's in Linux... you'll get the same refrain as I just stated.

rthomas
26th December 2008, 10:32 PM
Interesting development:

When StLouis asked me to do run the #cd-info command, I accidentally left the CD in the drive after shutting down the laptop. On next boot, it loaded and played as it should! RhythmBox recognised a device "Unknown Artist", which was the audio CD. I also had the "Audio Disc" icon appear on my desktop. I removed this CD, and tried another; and it worked perfectly.

But if I take the CD out and reboot, I am back at the same error I had originally. And RhythmBox does NOT recognise any devices, even when I select "Scan Removable Media"; so I am unable to play anything.

If I boot with a CD in the drive, everything works. Without one, I get this error! :confused:

PabloTwo
26th December 2008, 11:39 PM
Sounds like more of Fedora 10's teething pains. I don't run F10 (thank goodness), so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison of "how things work for me on F10" vs "how they work for you on F10". But I would suspect that after a few F10 update cycles, that cranky behavior will be fixed.

rthomas
27th December 2008, 09:46 AM
I would like to submit a bug report regarding this problem. Do you know what package this issue would relate to??

PabloTwo
27th December 2008, 10:01 PM
I think submitting a bug report is the correct way to go, as that is usually what it takes to make the developers aware that the problem exists. But no, I really don't know what process is the culprit here. Your /var/log/messages list would point to the kernel itself as the process that's spitting out the errors. Also, I'm not sure how you would do a search on the bugzilla site to see if there were already bug reports posted on that issue. I've never filed a bug report myself, so I'm not up to speed on the whole process.