PDA

View Full Version : nvidia configuration

unix66
25th December 2008, 04:04 AM
I am trying to configure dual monitors using nvidia settings but I am getting an error message Unable to create new backup X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.backup'. Then I have the opportunity to save the X configuration with being shown a dialog box showing /etc/X11/xorg.conf with Browse commant next to it, but If i save I am brought back to the error stated in the beginning Unable blah blah blah.

Thanks

David

glennzo
25th December 2008, 10:41 AM
Something you should be doing as root or using sudo ?? Wrong permissions as regular user.

robert-e
25th December 2008, 08:36 PM
Glenn,
I too have had this same problem with Nvidia configuration tool. Problem is that it is a gui app. and F10 will not let you run as a gui root. Hence it does not have rights to write to X11 directory/files. I solved that quick and dirty. I changed the rights to the X11 directory and files to User, and problem went away.
Just another kink caused by the "New Fedora Way".
Merry Christmas,
Bob

unix66
26th December 2008, 12:00 AM
Can you direct me on how to change it to users. I have an idea but I know it may take way longer to figure out. I got to gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf but I think I need to use chmod. I don't know still kinda of new to LInux. please help

thanks

David

JohnVV
26th December 2008, 12:51 AM
try this

su -
( root password)
chown -R ( user name):( user name) /etc/X11
chown -R bob:bob /etc/X11

robert-e
26th December 2008, 01:57 AM
Heh heh...JohnVV way is the correct way...I just did a su - and then started nautilus, went to etc/X11, clicked properties, and permissions, and changed it there, including subdirectories. It was quick and dirty, and the purests will go "tisk tisk", but they are way too paranoid anyway. BTW, I also have selinix disabled...oh the horrors!
Merry Christmas,
Bob

unix66
26th December 2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the information, but now I lost my desktop effects!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

glennzo
26th December 2008, 05:29 PM
Good old desktop effects. Nothing but trouble. ;)

hephasteus
26th December 2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the information, but now I lost my desktop effects!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Ya I'm thinking desktop effects aren't really necessary and very easy to live without. Buy a bobble head and put it on top of monitor and wiggle it when you get bored.

Did I just say that? :eek:

JohnVV
26th December 2008, 06:42 PM
i turn them on when people are over to "show off" what a old system can do faster than there new vista box

unix66
27th December 2008, 04:56 AM
The desktop effects was one of the reasons I turned to Linux and I am sure I am not the only one.

But any thoughts about getting them back enabled?

Thanks

David