PDA

View Full Version : permission denied to move a file, Fedora 10

baerb8
24th December 2008, 11:07 PM
i want to add a file i found online for bonjour networking into my avahi directory. however, i am given an error message essentially stating i am denied permission to do so.
i looked at some chmod cmds but am not quite sure how to use/apply them, provided that is what i must do. i am the owner and hence root person of this machine. i am running Fedora 10.

i got the info btw because i want to set up Samba for bonjour networking with Leopard. i can't network this machine, neither with my xp nor leopard ones.....totally frustrated

thanks for your help in advance

Hlingler
24th December 2008, 11:19 PM
Not a Guide nor How-To. Moved to "General Support".

Did you perform the command as root user? Or as a normal user?? Only root user can write to restricted folders. It does not matter that you physically own the machine - it doesn't know that. It cares only whether or not you are the system administrator (root user) and.or have write permission.

V

David Vazquez
25th December 2008, 12:01 AM
Open up a terminal (System Tools>Terminal

su -
Password: #Enter Root Password
nautilus

Nautilus should open as Root and then you can read and write to every folder in the FileSystem.

firebblade
25th December 2008, 12:56 AM
I have somewhat the same problem i'm login from the terminal as root with "su;" or "su -" it shows i'm loged
as root and when i try to install something or do actions that only root can do it prompts me with this message
"bash -: ./install: Permission Denied "

baerb8
25th December 2008, 01:38 AM
Not a Guide nor How-To. Moved to "General Support".

Did you perform the command as root user? Or as a normal user?? Only root user can write to restricted folders. It does not matter that you physically own the machine - it doesn't know that. It cares only whether or not you are the system administrator (root user) and.or have write permission.

V

well, maybe i totally messed up if you ask me whether i entered cmd as root user or not. so what i did is c/v the file i found into a text editor and saved it on desktop as samba.server. then i went into file system and opened the avahi director inside etc directory. once there i tried to drag the file from desktop into avahi directory. that's when i got the error message. i tried then to change said file 's permission, via properties of said file. which i found did not make a bit of difference as i was not "root" of the avahi directory.
so therefor i am not sure how to answer your question, root vs normal user. i apologize for daftness hence:confused:

Hlingler
25th December 2008, 03:05 AM
From your description, it sounds like you did NOT perform the action as root user, therefore it failed. Correct sequence of commands:
Open a terminal from the menus, and become root user:
su -
Password: <<== Type root user password and press <ENTER> keyMove the file from it's current location to the desired location (use the correct PATHs - I am guessing):
mv /home/baerb8/Desktop/samba.server /etc/avahi/OR: open Nautilus file browser after becoming root in terminal (as suggested by D. Vasquez), and just use Nautilus to copy-and-paste away as root.

V

baerb8
25th December 2008, 03:31 AM
sooooo cool, worked like a gem. used the terminal to do so as i want to learn how to use it, am a total newbie at linux.
if only i can now get my network running. but that i will have to ask help for i guess in the networking section.
thanks so much Hlingler you're my hero for the day :D

Hlingler
25th December 2008, 03:36 AM
For some basic command-line help, see: http://www.reallylinux.com/
The menu is near the bottom, under "New User Help": "Beginner Linux Commands", "Commands for Guru wanna-bees", etc.

Good Luck, Happy Holidays,
V

Ho!Ho!Ho!