PDA

View Full Version : Improper Shutdown, Restart, ect

YaKillaCJ
24th December 2008, 11:04 PM
When I shutdown, restart, hibernate. It doesnt fully do it. I have to Hold the power button in order for my whole system to shutoff. Most the time, I would get a black screen wit a bunch of errors (I think). Others times it wont get that far and just bank black screen. Rarely it will run the whole line command and shutdown process but I then have 2 tap(lightly press) the power button once and itll run like 4 lines (fast) and shutdown.
Ive searched the forums but none was specific to my issue (I dont think) or lacked a walkthrough.

stlouis
25th December 2008, 03:00 AM
What's showing up in your log file? Anything?

/var/log/messages

YaKillaCJ
25th December 2008, 04:32 AM
Not sure what to look for. I'm somewhat new to Linux and getting the hang of it. Hopefully 1 day I can myself contribute and help others :)
Heres the entire Message log that I posted previously. It should be efficient as the issue was happening then also:

MessageLogs.txt (http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/21/1827703/Crash%20Logs%20(Whole).txt)

stlouis
29th December 2008, 10:08 PM
I'm leaning towards an "acpid" problem.

Try re-installing "acpid"

yum remove acpid
yum install acpid

REBOOT

Does this work?

David Vazquez
29th December 2008, 10:30 PM
When I used to use Fedora Core 6 I used to have the same problem.

YaKillaCJ is correct. Check your log file for any messages. Sometimes it may occur that there are some ACPI failures (simple actions that are in the MotherBoard that control shutdown, restart, turning on, etc.) However, sometimes this fails because of incapability to "speak and receive" from the Operating System.

A simple reinstall of ACPID should fix your issue.

YaKillaCJ
4th January 2009, 08:37 PM
No go. I still have to Press the Bower button after the: System Haulted
If I reboot, then it doesnt shutdown all the way.

When loading up tho. It says ACPI Table Description could not be loaded or somethin like that. It flashes by the screen so fast, hard 2 tel...