PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player/Good Codec pack.

KieronBoz
23rd December 2008, 01:18 PM
Hey so I installed Fedora about 5 hours ago and went to sleep and ive been fiddling about with it.

I'm using a Samsung NC10 (1024x600)
2gb Ram
and a measly 15gb partition for fedora, the rest is hungry hungry vista.
Fedora 10

I'm sure there's dozens of threads about it and searching lead me to no guides.

So basically I want to be able to play videos and music, and install a flash player. But here's my problem, on adobes site on windows i would find a nice simple exe file and click on it lol. Now im totally stumped as to what to do with yum's and tar.cz and all this new jive lol.

So my questions to you, is please help me install flash player from step one, as noobishly as possible.
And please help me install some sort of codec pack, or whatever the linux equivalent of playing media is!

asqwerty
23rd December 2008, 01:30 PM
go to:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Select operative system: Linux

Select an installer type: YUM for linux

Agree and install now.

then open the adobe-release-xxxxxxxx.noarch.rpm with packae installer. this will install on your computer the adobe yum repositories. Now you can go to System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software and look for Adobe Flash Player. Just select it and click on Apply button.

Or you can type (as root) in a terminal:

yum install flash-plugin

that's all

glennzo
23rd December 2008, 01:32 PM
Welcome to Fedora Forum KieronBoz. One of the many helpful links for the things you need is here, http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html. There are many others. As you read some of the threads here you will see some of the Community Managers and Administrators have helpful links in their signatures, as do many of the members. The Guides and How-To Articles sub-forum is a good place to start also.

KieronBoz
23rd December 2008, 01:43 PM
lol, thanks asqwerty that works great.
Sorry Glennzo but that isn't noobish enough lol, i keep getting ; Kieron is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

And im not even sure i read the right bit, would you mind picking out the specific pieces?

glennzo
23rd December 2008, 01:48 PM
Not at all. You need to set up sudo first, http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html#sudo, then look at the links on that page about media players, mp3 players and flash.

KieronBoz
23rd December 2008, 02:07 PM
I feel like such a fool.

echo 'loginname ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers

Where 'loginname' is your user account.
Use 'ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL' if you don't want to be prompted a password.
If you are prompted for a password with 'sudo' it is the user password, not root.

I really dont get what the second parts asking for, username is fine but yeh. Sorry.

glennzo
23rd December 2008, 02:20 PM
Open a terminal and log in as root. Type:

echo 'glenn ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
Of course, replace glenn with your user name. After this is completed you will be able to use the sudo command in a terminal instead of having to do everything as root.

KieronBoz
23rd December 2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks works great!