PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a music player...

theriel
22nd December 2008, 08:47 PM
Hello!
I am really surprised as far as music players under Linux are concerned... or at least as far as my luck with finding them is concerned.

I am looking for a music player which would act similarly to Foobar2000 for Windows.
Generally I want to have:
-a list with playlists, which I can quickly switch between
-a list with songs at given playlist (changing when I change playlist tabs)
-a possibility of adding music directly from a given folder to the playlist.
-a possibility of getting rid of all other things in the main window - a simple customization.

I do not have all my music tagged and all these lofty "album finders" which operate in many Linux music players simply do not work.

Let's take for example Rhythmbox: everything is fine but I would like to be able to add a folder to my playlist. NOT add a folder to the collection and then look for all these files separately because they have different album/author tags.

Anybody knows some music player which would match these few simple requirements?

Thank you for help!

Best regards,
Theriel

quik69
22nd December 2008, 09:09 PM
Give Songbird a try, it does all that and more. but it's not really similar interface wise to fobar2000

Vector
22nd December 2008, 10:06 PM
xmms:
(1) Click the playlist icon to show the playlist
(2) Right click in the playlist area, and select Add>Directory
(3) Select the folder that contains the music (or contains more folders that contain music)
(4) Select ok

There is no need for a physical playlist, unless you want specific things in it. In that case, you can create and save a playlist from songs that are in your current list, and save that playlist file you a "playlist" directory that you specify. You can put all of your "playlists" in that same directory, and load them from there.

Audacious is almost the same process; except that you choose "add file" instead of "add directory" to add a directory.

There is another program called Amrok. I *believe* that is what you are *really* looking for. It does all kinds of fancy sht, but it's too bulky for my liking. I prefer xmms.

Audacious is xmms with a really really good looking skin, and different options. I do not use Audacious, because it does not have the option to DIRECTLY delete a file in the playlist from the file system, like xmms does.

theriel
22nd December 2008, 10:06 PM
As for Songbird:
Hmmm its really nice. Probably the first every-day use app I came across which accepts add-ons (except for Firefox) under Linux ;p. With directory-browser it does work really well. I am not very convinced by the idea of inbuilt browser, though... But still, right now it's the best player I have seen for Linux.

I would be grateful for any other ideas as well!

P.S. Is it possible in this Songbird to have a column in the playlist, let's say titled "album", but which would take the value from the name of the directory, in which the file lies? E.g. for /home/User/media/Blue/white.mp3 on the playlist I would receive "Blue" for album? I do NOT want it to be read from the file/its metadata but from the directory.

As for xmms:
It's winamp. No playlist manager/tabs. This we all had centuries ago ;p. Loading physical playlists is NOT efficient - sorry, but having used Foobar2000 I became a little bit.. lazy. Convenience, convenience, convenience.

JN4OldSchool
22nd December 2008, 10:31 PM
Foobar2000 installs and runs just fine using Wine!

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3695/snapshot1ug3.png

theriel
22nd December 2008, 11:02 PM
Adding folders doesn't work for me (nothing happens). Neither adding files does :(.

JN4OldSchool
22nd December 2008, 11:25 PM
Adding folders doesn't work for me (nothing happens). Neither adding files does :(.

Interesting, everything works great here.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5188/snapshot2xx1.png

I am running Wine 1.1.11, which is a beta. You can get a repo for this at wine HQ:

http://www.winehq.org/download/

Vector
22nd December 2008, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, well, you got me on that one! I wouldn't even know where to tell you to start at for troubleshooting that... sorry...

tjjoost
23rd December 2008, 01:56 AM
Try rhytumbox

theriel
23rd December 2008, 01:56 PM
Thank you tjjoost for help but... read my first post, the sentence starting with "Let's take for example Rhythmbox:"

Best regards,
Milo

leigh123linux
23rd December 2008, 02:00 PM
Have you tried banshee ( it will also play video files )

yum install banshee

RupertPupkin
23rd December 2008, 07:31 PM
It's all about Cynthiune (http://freshmeat.net/projects/cynthiune/). :)

theriel
23rd December 2008, 11:43 PM
I haven't seen tabbed playlists in Banshee, nor in Cynthiune ;p. (the latter looks - sorry if I offend sb - like a smaller version of xmms ;]).

//Ok, Banshee has some feature of tabbed playlists but... it's like Amarok.

Heh, I really do not know why all the people using Linux go crazy about auto-created collections. That's the omnipresent feature which totally destroys functionality of all the players...