PDA

View Full Version : fedora 10 weather doesn't work

pcandpc
22nd December 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi,

On my gnome desktop, I enabled both weather and temperature settings
in time/date settings. However, I don't see any weather nor temperature
displayed. What else should I do to enable them?

Thanks.

Theodor009
22nd December 2008, 06:50 PM
there is a bug report on this in bugzilla, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=46913 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=469136)6 . I have the same issue.
Strange thing is, it worked fine in the beta and preview running 32bit. For final I switched to 64bit for the ram support, on fresh stock install weather doesn't show up on the panel, yet there is a space for it. It's in the calander when you click on it but not the panel.

I tried all kinds of things in the GUI setting without success gave up and added weather to conky.

rthomas
22nd December 2008, 10:59 PM
I may be stating the obvious; but maybe not either.

Have you added a location under the Locations tab??

daviddoria
23rd December 2008, 03:45 AM
Yea check for the locations - I thought the same thing at first but then I saw I needed to add a location. They should change it so that it says "N/A" or something instead of just not showing anything at all.

Dave

pcandpc
23rd December 2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, of course. Two locations were added already (one home and another).

But, the odd thing about the location map is that the red dot (if that is supposed
to be home location) on the map shows completely irrelevant location than home
or even the other location I have set.

Thanks.

nick192
23rd December 2008, 07:14 AM
it does work for me. fedora 10 gnome x86, location Mumbai(India). it shows both weather n temperature

pwca
23rd December 2008, 07:15 AM
One of the things I noticed is that your "home" setting has to agree with what you've got in your BIOS and in Fedora. If either of these are different then it tends to freak out and not work at all.

The red dots are the locations you've listed. Your home is represented by a little house icon.

hephasteus
23rd December 2008, 07:26 AM
Won't show up till it has location set.

You can load the weather report applet and pick the locations with it and then it should show up in weather bar on next boot Then you can take the weather report applet off. Or if you know your lattitude and longitude you can set it direct.

Some map programs and some astrology sites will give you that info
if you give the locations you are at. But it's just easier to use weather report applets database to find it.

hunger
24th December 2008, 02:30 AM
I can confirm the behavior reported in the original post and the bug report which Theodor009 linked to (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=469136). I am able to get the weather to display if I remove the clock, re-add it to the panel, and re-set my home location... but the weather disappears after reboot.

The problem has also been discussed on fedora-list (http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@redhat.com/msg25738.html).

Theodor009
24th December 2008, 09:34 PM
just to add some to this.

My issue is that the weather information isn't being displayed on the panel. I can click on the clock and see my location setting (red dot and all), hover my cursor over the location and get the weather info, just no display in the panel.

The problem is not one of no location set.
The problem is not one of Weather information not being received.

The problem IS the information doesn't display next clock on the panel.

I wish I knew how to troubleshoot this better so I could give the info needed for the Dev to make a fix.
Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:
The only difference form working to not working for me was 32bit to 64bit. To the best of my knowledge nothing else is different.

hunger
8th January 2009, 11:08 PM
The only difference form working to not working for me was 32bit to 64bit. To the best of my knowledge nothing else is different.

I don't think it's a 32bit versus 64bit issue. I'm running the 32bit version of F10, and I have been experiencing the problem.

I'm surprised that there are not more people reporting this problem...

FYI: there is a new bug report here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=477974. The original report has been marked as a duplicate.

j0n!-Sn!p3r
8th January 2009, 11:34 PM
uhm...

with the new update recently...

i restart system, and the weather is working now...
maybe u must update the new update...

;)

hunger
13th January 2009, 07:55 PM
uhm...

with the new update recently...

i restart system, and the weather is working now...
maybe u must update the new update...

;)

That's not my experience. I'm fully updated, but the weather still often fails to display at boot. I can get the weather display to appear by removing the clock panel and re-adding it, but the weather display generally disappears after reboot. I wonder if this is related to the fact that I connect to the internet via a secured and hidden wireless network?

Theodor009
15th January 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't think it's a 32bit versus 64bit issue. I'm running the 32bit version of F10, and I have been experiencing the problem.

I'm surprised that there are not more people reporting this problem...

FYI: there is a new bug report here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=477974. The original report has been marked as a duplicate.

There is a report on Gnome's bugzilla as well.

This worked for me fine on F10 snap1 through snap3, I upgraded through final no issues. Installed 64 bit final and saw it on fresh install.

what has fixed the problem for me is what I posted in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=477974, I couldn't see the set button until I hovered over it. reading the comments though, it seems there is more to it than that.

bbneo
23rd February 2010, 01:25 PM
For some reason, the "weather report" applet isn't available on *two* of my 4 fedora machines... all of these machines have started out primarily as fedora 10. When I upgraded one of the older machines to fedora 11 to get firefox 3.5, I found the "Weather Report" applet in the "add to panel" menu that comes up when you right-click the top Gnome panel.

I really like the "Weather Report" applet, because it gives you the temperature, current conditions and a forecast.

I have installed fedora 11 on *two* of my machines now, and both of them have the "Weather Report" applet, but when I "upgraded" the third machine, it doesn't have that applet on the "add to panel" menu.

Is there some way that I can get the Weather Report applet installed on this machine?

Thanks.

hunger
24th February 2010, 10:20 AM
The bug described in this thread -- since fixed -- actually refers to the weather report provided with Gnome Clock.

For the problem you've described: do you have gnome-applets installed? I believe the Weather Report applet is part of that package.

su -c "yum install gnome-applets"

bbneo
24th February 2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the pointer, Hunger.

tucker
4th March 2010, 07:55 AM
Hmmm, When I installed, and set this up I thought like a Geek. I pulled out my trusty GPS and put in my location EXACTLY. Turns out that for some reason, even though I told it where I was, the weather isn't available for Jennings, OK. (uhhh it is through weather underground)

When I changed it to Tulsa, OK, USA It was happy! And it even works :)

In short, you might try putting in the nearest LARGE city and see if that works.

That said... any geeks in here that can tell me if it's possible to update configuration files so that it WILL be able to get this weather info from places like http://www.wunderground.com?

Regards,
Tom

just to add some to this.

My issue is that the weather information isn't being displayed on the panel. I can click on the clock and see my location setting (red dot and all), hover my cursor over the location and get the weather info, just no display in the panel.

The problem is not one of no location set.
The problem is not one of Weather information not being received.

The problem IS the information doesn't display next clock on the panel.

I wish I knew how to troubleshoot this better so I could give the info needed for the Dev to make a fix.
Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:

Hlingler
4th March 2010, 06:07 PM
Many of these weather applets and such are hard-coded to retrieve data from NOAA (in USA) and/or other such sources, and are therefore limited to the available data sets/locations of those sources. Furthermore, the available locations (e.g.: NOAA) may not be (as here) available 24/7/365 (e.g.: from approximately 9:50 PM to 6:00 AM there are no updates here, and during "working" hours only one update per hour). I suppose that it depends on whether the data sources are truly hard-coded, or part of some hidden config file.

HTH,
V

bbneo
4th March 2010, 06:26 PM
I have run the gnome-applet weather applet under fedora 10 and now fedora 11 on several machines at home, and with fedora 10, I noticed that the updating was very inconsistent... there would be many times that no weather information would be available.

Also, gnome-applets was not installed by default in fedora 10, but is in fedora 11, so you had to know to install gnome-applets in order to get the weather report applet.

Since I have updated to fedora 11, I no longer notice that problem with the weather report applet. Just in time for spring! Sunshine, finally!