PDA

View Full Version : Video conversion info needed.

arshad3m
22nd December 2008, 04:22 PM
hi friends.
how can i convert videos in fedora?
i mean i have vids in different formts such as: avi, divx, wmv, mpeg, dat, rmvb, .rm..... and want them to convert into 3gp. can i do this in fedora??

i badly need the solution very soon
thank you very much.

Dan
22nd December 2008, 04:25 PM
Thread title edited.

Use of the word "Urgent" in thread titles should be avoided unless it really is serious. Please see the guidelines for details.

Dan

arshad3m
22nd December 2008, 04:28 PM
thank you Dan for the reminding.
im sorry for the inconvenience caused.
and quick responses are really appreciated regarding the issue.
thanks

soker
22nd December 2008, 05:51 PM
There is a program for that. the name is mencoder.
There is an example in this thread http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=104161
Hope it is usefull

arshad3m
22nd December 2008, 06:41 PM
thanks for the link soker.
i really appreciate your help :)

scottro
22nd December 2008, 09:17 PM
ffmpeg is supposedly good at this sort of thing. A link to a page that isn't Fedora specific, nor, as you'll see in the first paragraph or so, does he consider himself an expert, but possibly helpful.

http://howto-pages.org/ffmpeg/

Chilly Willy
22nd December 2008, 10:29 PM
Just an FYI, I thought you (& others) may be interested in.

You can also get an ADD-ON for FIREFOX called DOWNLOADHELPER that can use either of these. I'm not sure if it will support ALL the formats you are wanting but it will (with proper setup) automatically take care of most downloads. (Like youtube) (you can do manual conventions as well)

Vector
22nd December 2008, 11:18 PM
First, you need to know exactly what types of streams that your phone supports. Most of the time, converting to a standard does not equate to a manufacturer's proprietary implementation of that standard; and therefore, will not work on your mobile device.

If your phone can accept the standardized 3gp a/v stream formats, then it will be an h263 video stream, with an aac audio stream. My razor used 8-bit pcm audio (i think; but it may have been my gf's camera that used that).

If you send a 3gp file from your phone/mobile device to my email address ( Contact at LinuxIntro.com ) i can look at it, and tell you what it needs, and probably paste the command in here that you can use it to convert your media to a format that your phone needs; but i cannot guarantee that it will work, because i'm not sure if the 3gp is a special container, or if it is just an mp4 container with a different name to indicate its contents. I mostly transcode dvds, so i'm not too familiar with other media specs.

When i get around to it, i will be creating an in-depth tutorial on LinuxIntro for transcoding video. That will be a while though, as i'm fairly behind...