PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Boot

Ujjwol
22nd December 2008, 11:30 AM
Guys, i was really running well the dual booted system of Fedora 9 and Windows XP. And everything was fine. But yesterday, i was used fedora and shut down. After at evening when i tried to pushed the power button on it said:
GRUB Loading Stage 2...
and a command prompt came like this:
grub>
what to do boot fedora and xp. It is a nightmare.
And then i inserted the fedora 9 installation dvd and started in recovery mode it said there are no any linux installations.
And with live cd of ubuntu i saw that all the files of all drive are safe but when the partition where fedora was installed it shows like this..
----------
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotinformationabav1.png
-------------
Guys now running in a ubuntu live cd(as i don't have fedora live cd). I want to recover fedora hope i don't have to install again and i don't want to mess with the windows xp....
--------------
And my hardware is:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co., Ltd. RTL8139D [Realtek] PCI 10/100BaseTX ethernet adaptor (rev 01)
01:01.0 Modem: Smart Link Ltd. Unknown device 2800 (rev 02)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
----------------------------------
Thanks in Advance

Vector
22nd December 2008, 10:39 PM
Your boot sector is damaged, or your mft (master file table -- aka inode list?) is damaged.

Other people may be able to offer better advice later, but here's mine, for now:
(1) Download gparted live (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)
(2) Download knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/) (or ubuntu live)
(3) Download testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)

if (you can boot with knoppix, or a live cd){
Try to load/compile testdisk;

if (you can load/compile testdisk){
Run it from the terminal;
Tell it to repair the mbr or mft/inode list;
}else{
man chkfs,tune2fs;
Try to repair mbr or inodelist/mft, if that is even possible with chkfs or tune2fs (i don't really know);

if (you cannot repair with them){
if (you have another hard drive, of the same size, or larger){
dd_rescue -v /dev/bad_drive /dev/good_drive;
}
}
}
}else{
if (you have another computer){
Put the drive in another computer;
Load knoppix or another live cd, unless the other computer has Linux installed;

if (the drive can be accessed, and does not lock up the terminal or system){
Run testdisk, and tell it to replace the mbr or mft/inode list with the backup version.;
}else{
// Much riskier way....
Run Gparted Live;
Format the partition to ext3 (DO NOT MOVE/ADD DATA AFTER FORMATTING!!!);
Load knoppix or another live cd, unless the other computer has Linux installed;
Run testdisk, and tell it to replace the mbr or mft/inode list with the backup version.;
}
}else{
You may be screwed;
}
}

If the terminal locks up when trying to access it, or mount it, or gparted locks up, or you begin to hear a repetative pattern from the drive when attempting to access it in any way: You have mechanical failure, and are soon to loose all of your data.