PDA

View Full Version : xorg.conf not required

daviddoria
21st December 2008, 04:59 PM
Is this new in F10? I was having issues with a new video driver and I just deleted xorg.conf all together and then it went back to working. I thought xorg.conf was required??

Dave

glennzo
21st December 2008, 05:37 PM
There is no default xorg.conf in Fedora 10.

daviddoria
21st December 2008, 10:54 PM
so then how does it work at all? It has to use some defaults from somewhere, no?

Firewing1
21st December 2008, 11:10 PM
It doesn't really have defaults in that sense anymore, but a lot of smart autodetection. The X server has some built-in ModulePaths, but from there the appropriate display driver is loaded along with the modules it requires, and then your monitor's EDID is read to determine the best resolution and depth. If you prefer having an xorg.conf though, nothing's stopping you from making one - Xorg still supports them and if it finds one, will use the values stored there over the autodetected ones.
Firewing1

glennzo
21st December 2008, 11:14 PM
I believe that this is handled by kernel modesetting. Sound like I know what I'm talking about? Don't be fooled. I've read some stuff here and there. Have a look at this page, http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html, item 2.6.2, Plymouth etc. In the mean time, let's wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in here and set us both straight because I'm probably wrong, again :rolleyes:

Edit: See, Firewing1 new we needed help.

pwca
21st December 2008, 11:44 PM
I would point out that you still need to have an xorg.conf if for no other reason than to get your mouse working properly or optimally for that matter.

glennzo
21st December 2008, 11:52 PM
No xorg.conf here. Wireless mouse works well. Left click, right click, scroll wheel.

pwca
22nd December 2008, 12:24 AM
I know for a fact that X or whatever is doing the configuring doesn't configure mouse buttons properly if you have a mouse with more than the standard 3 + scroll wheel. And the newest wheels that tilt aren't done properly. Finally, if your mouse is an optical one the optical resolution is not configured properly either. Whatever is doing the configuring is setting it to 500dpi. Really lousy if you have a 800+ dpi mouse.

If you have a mouse with an optical resolution > 500dpi then create a default xorg add a device section for your mouse and then add the line:

Option "Resolution" "[insert mouse resolution here]"
then sit back and marvel at how much more responsive your mouse is.

Oh, in addition... with all the difficulties that have appeared beginning with F9 (it seems anyway) synaptic touchpads... having an xorg.conf file to tweak things the way you like them is a really nice thing to have.

These things are just items that I've experienced. If you're not then great. But, I know I'm not alone in my experience. Especially those who like to play games and have high end gaming mice.

glennzo
22nd December 2008, 01:02 AM
I don't doubt what you're saying pwca. My mouse is just a typical 2 button / 1 scroll wheel mouse. I'd hate to be trying to configure anything more if I wanted everything to work.

stevea
22nd December 2008, 01:27 AM
I would point out that you still need to have an xorg.conf if for no other reason than to get your mouse working properly or optimally for that matter.

I'd like to point out you're a lying Sacajawea but that would violate forum guidelines.

xorg.conf is NOT necessary depending on hardware; if the auto-detect works well enough .. you're done.

stoat
22nd December 2008, 01:39 AM
But, I know I'm not alone in my experience.I still need an xorg.conf file. For one thing, I use it for screen position adjustment using a modeline created by xvidtune. I use the monitor controls for Windows and the xorg.conf to correct the resulting misalignment in Fedora. I choose not to install software in Windows to do it the opposite way. If someone knows a better way to tweak the display screen position in Fedora without using the monitor controls, tell me now. I could use that information.

For another thing, I had to create an xorg.conf for my A31 Thinkpad to be able to see anything at all in Fedora 10. I like to use my equipment for a long time (into the ground). So I have some aging equipment. Apparently, I need things like xorg.conf to be able to continue using my hardware while Fedora goes off and leaves me.

Z4ns4tsu
23rd December 2008, 05:25 AM
I also had to create an xorg.conf for my T42's trackpoint to work correctly. For the curious:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "EmulateWheel" "yes"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

samrat_rao
23rd December 2008, 11:49 AM
In one post glennzo said that in FC 10 one can create xorg.conf by running the command:
system-config-display --reconfig. See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=197754