PDA

View Full Version : Apt install failing

Thoreau
17th August 2004, 06:34 PM
I am trying to get apt to install on my Core2 box. Anyway i try to install apt i get the following errors

Running test transaction:
/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
Errors reported doing trial run
file /etc/apt/apt.conf from install of apt-0.5.15cnc6-3.1.fc2.dag conflicts with file from package atrpms-package-config-59-1.rhfc1.at
file /etc/apt/preferences from install of apt-0.5.15cnc6-3.1.fc2.dag conflicts with file from package atrpms-package-config-59-1.rhfc1.at
file /etc/apt/rpmpriorities from install of apt-0.5.15cnc6-3.1.fc2.dag conflicts with file from package atrpms-package-config-59-1.rhfc1.at
file /etc/apt/vendors.list from install of apt-0.5.15cnc6-3.1.fc2.dag conflicts with file from package atrpms-package-config-59-1.rhfc1.at

Why is there a conflict between what it wants to download and somthing from when i had Core1? doesn't yum overwrite/update the files that it needs to? Even if i try and rpm and -Uvh, still no dice. When i go looking for apt on my machine i "whereis" and apt shows up in the /etc/ dir.

just to show it doesn't work
# apt-get firefox
-bash: apt-get: command not found

On a second note, how do you update your "locate" db?

S.D.Willie
17th August 2004, 11:09 PM
remove apt from your box. "rpm -e apt"
head over to http://apt.freshrpms.net and dl the fc2 version. install it.

also, you do "apt-get install firefox" not "apt-get firefox"

to updated your database just run "updatedb" as root

make sure you run "apt-get update" after installing apt.

hint: as in debian, you can sift through packages with the command "apt-cache search package-name"

you will then see whatever is listed that you can install. might want to add a few sources to your sources.list if need be.

Thoreau
18th August 2004, 03:28 PM
so i couldn't uninstall it, so the only choice i had was to move the folder, since i am scared to delete it. running the command "rpm -e apt" resulted in a "apt not found" once i removed the apt folder from /etc, yum installed it just fine and everything is working nicely. Thanks for the help Willie.