PDA

View Full Version : Switching from ubuntu to fedora

Rave Gloves
12th December 2008, 11:04 PM
Well i downloaded ubuntu 8.04 and it is **** i hate it.

Im unsure how i should go about switching anyone help?

if there is already a fourm about this please point me in the direction of it.

Cheers...

stefan1975
12th December 2008, 11:26 PM
well the switching part is relatively easy:

- download fedora .iso on http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
- burn .iso
- install fedora

tadaa you have switched

then you have to fine tune everything you did not have to in ubuntu, fortunately there are guides: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-fedora-10

and learn that fedora is totally different from ubuntu and that you have to put in more work but can get great results.

you could try ubuntu 8.10 as well though, i think it is much improved from 8.04

stefan

Rave Gloves
12th December 2008, 11:28 PM
^ thanks i thought i would need to redo the partiotions or something.

Is fedora 10 worth getting?

scottro
12th December 2008, 11:34 PM
Do you prefer blue to brown?

A bit more work to get running, but probably not a LOT more work.
As for which does what better.... we have plenty of posts claiming victories for both sides.

Why don't you try the liveCD, see how it runs for you, keeping in mind that a live CD is slower than it would be when on drive, and see if you feel you would like it better?

Rave Gloves
12th December 2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah im downloading it right now.

I will give it a try, plus the fedora fourms are 10x better than the ubuntu one so if i need any help im pretty sure i will get it here.

stefan1975
12th December 2008, 11:36 PM
the installer will partition your disc for you, in the default setting overwriting all partitions on disk.

if fedora 10 is worth it? well depends on your needs and experience. If you are very good at linux, dont mind getting your hands dirty on the CLI, don't mind reinstalling you pc in 18 months, like cutting edgde packages that ubuntu gets in 6 months but have to be "beta"tested in fedora, like package version upgrades during a release lifecycle, like RPM based distros, prefer RedHat over SuSe or ubuntu server, know what to do when the updates package breaks and cannot update itself, if you know and understand fedora will *never* provide or make it easy to get non-free packages, know that it runs SElinux and a firewall by default ..... then yes fedora is very much worth getting, i run it on all my pc's and like it very much, only Arch seems better at the moment...

if you want to have things "just work" (TM) and for a long time too ..... use ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

S.