PDA

View Full Version : System not shutting down correctly.. fans stay on ?!

crowds
4th December 2008, 01:16 PM
I have a new build consisting of...

Antec 300 case with to rear exhaust fans
Asus p5k se/epu
intel e8400 with Ninja scythe II cooling
2g kingston memory
XP/Fedora 10 dual boot

Everything system boots fine under normal circumstances but when I have an external drive connected via USB (actually it's a drive caddy with an old segate 40gig ide in) bios stops everything and displays a warning "USB device Overvoltage detected" or something of the like. Anything else connected to the usb ports is fine and the system boots without problem.

The second problem (And I can't help but think they are connected) occurs when I try to shut the system down. I first noticed in XP that while everthing appeared to switch off, monitor goes blank and powers down. the case exhaust fans continue to blow ! Now this could be some new feature to continue cooling the system for a period after shutdown, fine. But they never shut down !!! I have to hold down the power button to force a complete shutdown.

Now when I shut down the system from Fedora the same happens, only the monitor does not shut down ! it seems to stall in mid shut down and the last line printed to the screen says:
acpi_power_off called....

And then nothing else... again I have to hold down the power button so the system clicks off .

Bugger.

Jake
4th December 2008, 01:50 PM
As for the shut down try adding this to the kernel line next time you boot using grub: acpi=force, this may allow the system to fully shutdown. Though this usually only happens with systems with old bios, or no time set on the bios. Though that one is only a temporary fix to check it, if it works edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add it there.