PDA

View Full Version : internet setup for newbie

snodgrss1984
4th December 2008, 05:31 AM
:confused: i setup fedora and i dont know how to set up the internet i am running cable internet and i dont know any of the information that i need i would have had 2 systems but i could not partition for dual boot any help is always appriciated

viperskunk
4th December 2008, 07:07 AM
Why don't you contact your internet provider and ask them what your IP, Netmask, Gateway etc. are? And then feed in the information on Network Manager. I am assuming you are using a static IP address with the cable connection.

Demz
4th December 2008, 07:19 AM
moved to general Support

burnetbj
4th December 2008, 07:40 AM
If you have another machine that is currently connected, open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 more often then not this will open your router settings after you enter your user name and password

I am pretty sure you are not using a static IP as this is usually a paid request and you would know what it was

Once you are in your router settings you will be able to see the name of your network (router name) that you at some point created and if it is used WEP or WPA or WPA2 blah blah this should get you on track

snodgrss1984
4th December 2008, 11:39 PM
thank you i will try that

snodgrss1984
5th December 2008, 11:38 PM
in case that doesnt work what else can i do etc what is a host dns etc

snodgrss1984
6th December 2008, 12:14 AM
i know this is probably not for this forum area but please bear it what version of wine do i need for fedora 10

Demz
6th December 2008, 12:36 AM
i know this is probably not for this forum area but please bear it what version of wine do i need for fedora 10
atleast 1.1.7

marcrblevins
6th December 2008, 02:39 AM
Got a Windows box that is working on that internet, start its DOS prompt and type 'ipconfig /all'. Use those info to your 'system-config-network' from terminal.

snodgrss1984
12th December 2008, 06:38 PM
question if i installed linux on ps3 can i install other os and overwrite the other system or do i have to format

sorry just remembered also if you do this do i need another installer will it mess up hardware if i dont get new builds