PDA

View Full Version : F10 KDE4 settings not saved on logout

theedge981
1st December 2008, 03:50 AM
All,

I recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora 10 along with KDE 4.1. I set up my panel the way I liked, including adding new widgets and moving around icons from one place to another on the panel. When I log out and log back in, I see that some of my changes are saved while others are not. All of my selected widgets re-appear, however they're all located in different spots. For example, I placed the digital clock on the far right side of the panel, the K menu on the far left, and pager in the middle. Now when I log back in the K menu is on the right, the clock is about a third of the way from the left, and the pager is about a quarter of the way from the right. I've seen this happen when restoring a previous session, as well as starting with a new session. I've also tried locking/unlocking widgets, still with the same result after logout/login.

I saw on KDE's site that 4.2 fixes a number of problems (one of which included saving panel settings). Am I doing something wrong by moving my icons around on the panel and logging out? Should I be "saving" their position manually somehow? This seems like too big of a problem to have been overlooked prior to F10's release so I'm assuming there's something trivial that I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm a BIG fan of KDE, but I don't think I can live with my panel randomly re-positioning icons every time I log in!

Thanks,
Dan

Igor Schekin
8th December 2008, 08:06 PM
I have similar problem with GNOME, sessions not saved.

rdieter
9th December 2008, 05:00 PM
In my experience, repositioned items is sometimes another sign of an X driver bug (X driver/server reports incorrect geometry/location of items onscreen).

What video hw/driver are you using? (I'd wager a few $$ on nvidia, here... if I were a betting man..) :)

Igor Schekin
9th December 2008, 05:12 PM
In my experience, repositioned items is sometimes another sign of an X driver bug (X driver/server reports incorrect geometry/location of items onscreen).

What video hw/driver are you using? (I'd wager a few $$ on nvidia, here... if I were a betting man..) :)

I use on my home machine 8600GT with last stable driver from Nvidia, on my work machine GF4MX440 with nv driver, on both computers sessions cant be saved automatically or manually. .xsessions-error in my home directory include that records:
gnome-session[3176]: WARNING: could not read /home/igor/.config/autostart/sealertauto.desktop
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/igor/.config/metacity/sessions/104e148abde14f74fa122882968332421500000031760024.m s: Failed to open file '/home/igor/.config/metacity/sessions/104e148abde14f74fa122882968332421500000031760024.m s': No such file or directory

any idea about this issue?

P.S.
I use Fedora 32 and 64 with latest updates.

theedge981
6th January 2009, 03:46 AM
Hello all,

This problem has crept up again, this time after a new kernel update. Yes, I am running the NVIDIA driver from their site. I installed their driver after rebooting to the new kernel and since then, haven't been able to retain any of my KDE panel settings from one session to the next. I even deleted my plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc files in hopes that recreating them would solve the problem.

No luck...

Could this really be a display driver issue?

Dan

rdieter
6th January 2009, 02:38 PM
Easy to find out, nuke the nvidia driver, use nv or vesa. Does the problem remain?

theedge981
6th January 2009, 05:54 PM
I went through the nvidia guide in the forums and downloaded the nvidia drivers through yum. I also tried using "nv"...here's what I get when I stop/start plasma...

[dan@dgl118 ~]$ plasma
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Plasma::Dialog "", which already has alayout
Unrecognized character: /
Unrecognized character: /
ERROR: syntax error
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Resource id: 0x260008a
plasma(5950)/libplasma Plasma::PanelSvgPrivate::generateBackground: Invalid panel size QSizeF(-1, -1)
QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during its event handler!

My settings continue to be lost on logout...

Dan