PDA

View Full Version : using iBus with Opera in F10

luo.mai
29th November 2008, 10:03 AM
In F9, I was able to make iBus work in Opera by adding
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM to "/usr/bin/opera", but this hasn't helped me in F10.

(In F9, I also had to add
export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus" to my "$HOME/.bashrc" to get iBus working in general, but that didn't work in F10; I managed to get it working in F10 via IM Chooser, and it doesn't seem to change the performance of iBus on the platform in general or in Opera whether or not I add the above line to my ".bashrc".)

Any suggestions?

www1862
30th November 2008, 04:31 AM
I got the same problem,but iBus didn't work in my F10 at all.It seems to be a big problem. I noticed that there is a bug report on iBus project's home page.

luo.mai
5th December 2008, 12:31 PM
After my first post, I discovered that iBus also wasn't working in Konqueror or KWord. (I've never used KWord before, and don't normally use Konqueror on Chinese sites because they tend to be designed for Internet Explorer, and Konqueror doesn't respond too well to their non-standard code.)

I got it working in Konqueror by adding a couple more lines to my .bashrc that iBus had initially suggested in F9, but which I'd commented out as I'd found them unnecessary. Now my .bashrc contains these three iBus-related lines:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus"
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
Now it works in Konqueror, but still not in Opera or KWord...

luo.mai
1st January 2009, 03:35 PM
In F9, I was able to make iBus work in Opera by adding
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM to "/usr/bin/opera", but this hasn't helped me in F10.

After posting, I did a bit of experimenting with different distros, and am currently back with Fedora 9. Incidentally, I discovered that my previous fix wasn't working to get iBus working in Opera on F9 anymore, but I just got it working. If anyone using F10 wants to give this a try and see if it works, I'd love to hear how it goes:

Previously, I had placed the line
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM at the end of "/usr/bin/opera". With the newest version of Opera, this didn't work. Just now, I simply moved the line up to the beginning of the file, and it works fine. Now the beginning of my "/usr/bin/opera" looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Location of the Opera binaries
OPERA_BINARYDIR=/usr/lib/opera/9.63

die () {
for arg
do echo "$arg"
done >&2
exit 1
}

#Make compatible with iBus
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM

# Parse commandline parameters
toset=
_QTSTYLE_FROM_CMDLINE_=NO

Will this work in F10?

luo.mai
4th January 2009, 03:04 PM
Update: I just reinstalled F10, and the above step did work. Problem solved! (I realize I'm pretty much the only person posting on this thread, but hopefully it'll help someone.) In sum:

just add a line "export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM" at the beginning of /usr/bin/opera, as shown in my previous post, and iBus will work in Opera.

sdgg00
7th March 2009, 05:29 AM
After posting, I did a bit of experimenting with different distros, and am currently back with Fedora 9. Incidentally, I discovered that my previous fix wasn't working to get iBus working in Opera on F9 anymore, but I just got it working. If anyone using F10 wants to give this a try and see if it works, I'd love to hear how it goes:

Previously, I had placed the line
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM at the end of "/usr/bin/opera". With the newest version of Opera, this didn't work. Just now, I simply moved the line up to the beginning of the file, and it works fine. Now the beginning of my "/usr/bin/opera" looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Location of the Opera binaries
OPERA_BINARYDIR=/usr/lib/opera/9.63

die () {
for arg
do echo "$arg"
done >&2
exit 1
}

#Make compatible with iBus
export QT_IM_MODULE=XIM

# Parse commandline parameters
toset=
_QTSTYLE_FROM_CMDLINE_=NO

Will this work in F10?

It worked out nicely as I expected! I don't know how to express my excitement, Thank for sharing.:p

luo.mai
7th March 2009, 03:44 PM
Gladly. :)

sdgg00
9th March 2009, 01:12 AM
Humm!!! After I screwed my GDM and finally got it work normally again, now iBus decides not to work with my Opera with F10...

Imagine how happy I was when I finally got it working last night and now it turns away XD
What to do now? Seems it does no matter where the code is placed in the opera file.
I wonder if it is a good idea to have multiple input software just to get every application work with input types I need. But the default one came with F10 DVD was very problematic and thats why I had it changed to iBus... Any advice?

(I don't mind to install function overlapping software as long as they stay begood)

Out of topic talk: I am a newbie to Linux, though Fedora 10 is not as stable as Redhat 7 I once used long time back in my college, I do like it because it offers me flexibility and a huge playground to roll around with XD

scottro
9th March 2009, 01:56 AM
Is everyone here using iBus for Chinese only? I'm curious about using it with Japanese. Hrrm, I guess the easiest way is to just try it, right?

Ok, ibus is already installed. Ok, readme says install ibus\* which is pulling in 31 megs of stuff, most of which I won't use. :)

ibus-setup, Ok, Japanese selected.

XMODFIERS='@im=SCIM' urxvt

Nothing--aha, typed SCIM out of habit, that would explain that. Let's try again. :)

XMODIFIERS='@im=ibus' urxvt

Nope. Ok, works with gedit. Ok, seems to only work with gtk apps. For me, that's a deal-breaker, as I use Japanese mostly in text based email clients, for exampe, mutt in urxvt.

luo.mai
10th March 2009, 05:31 PM
Is everyone here using iBus for Chinese only? I'm curious about using it with Japanese. Hrrm, I guess the easiest way is to just try it, right?
I am using iBus for Chinese, though I shouldn't think Chinese vs. Japanese should make a difference in iBus working or not…

Ok, ibus is already installed. Ok, readme says install ibus\* which is pulling in 31 megs of stuff, most of which I won't use.
"yum install ibus-anthy" should be all you need to do to install for Japanese.

ibus-setup, Ok, Japanese selected.

XMODFIERS='@im=SCIM' urxvt

Nothing--aha, typed SCIM out of habit, that would explain that. Let's try again. :)

XMODIFIERS='@im=ibus' urxvt

Nope. Ok, works with gedit. Ok, seems to only work with gtk apps. For me, that's a deal-breaker, as I use Japanese mostly in text based email clients, for exampe, mutt in urxvt.
I haven’t had to set XMODIFIERS or make any other adjustments to get iBus working with anything lately (there was a time when I had a line "export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus" in my $HOME/.bashrc, but I took that out after some update a while back–don’t remember which–but anyway, everything works). I just used the Input Method utility to enable iBus, and I use a simple Ctrl-space when I want to use it…

I’m using KDE, and everything is up to date. Don’t know if Gnome does anything weird with iBus. I also haven’t ever tried rxvt, but iBus works fine with Konsole. Anyway, I’d recommend a "yum update", using Input Method, and starting rxvt without the bit about XMODIFIERS. If it still doesn’t work, you might check your .bashrc –have you perhaps left some old stuff from your SCIM days in there?

scottro
10th March 2009, 09:41 PM
That's possible, but I wonder if part of the issue is that I don't use Gnome or KDE. Playing with scim, I see that in Gnome, and I assume KDE, one can get it working by choosing input method. Oddly enough, in fluxbox, it would work in far fewer applications. As this is on Rawhide, I've not yet come to any firm conclusion. They seem about equal save for the fact that I could only get ibus working with GTK apps--I only tried a couple of other UTF-8 capable terminals, though, so I could easily be wrong on this.