PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 ATI driver help

mm07
29th November 2008, 07:26 AM
All,

I can't seem to properly install the ATI drivers for the new Fedora 10 installation.

I've read these forums and online and I find instructions for Fedora 9,8, and 7 which say to enable the linva repository and install fglrx. ok, easy right?

So linva is now Rpmfusion, but the
I read on the RPMFUSION frontpage that the ATI drivers are not yet available, but unsure why. A search in Rpmfusion did not yield the fglrx driver.

I was able to turn up ONE article on how to install F10 ATI Drivers here:
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155503

But to be honest, I read through it and it doesn't seem right. Very hacky and odd...

I went to ATI's site and downloaded it directly from there, installed it rebooted and system hung and would not boot into the gui.

So What the heck is going on?
What is the story with no ATI drivers?
What's the simplest way to install ATI drivers?
My card is a 1300 model.

THanks
-Mike

mm07
29th November 2008, 06:21 PM
Just to be clear on my last post.
I am referring to propriatery(restricted) ati drivers.

Will they ever be available on RPMFUSION? I can wait...

zecchinhg
29th November 2008, 06:54 PM
No hope, friend. Sorry to be your master of demise. Since F9 things wen't wrong. Xorg, ati, radeonHD, fglrx... this stuff is a PITA.

drdolphin
29th November 2008, 06:56 PM
I just want to run my dual monitors with the latest and greatest. Haven't been able to do so since F8 :-(

assen
29th November 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi,

Check the leigh123's guide on ATI with F10 - he explains how to downgrade libdrm so that you can use the fglrx build from F9. It does work indeed - you'll lose the graphical boot, but then X will work as expected. fglrx was removed from RPMFusion few days before F10 was released, because current libdrm dos not work with it (or vice versa).

WWell,

mm07
30th November 2008, 02:31 AM
Leigh123's guide, while very cool and smart, is clearly a hack, and I don't want to hack up my distro.

Are we saying that proprietary ATI drivers are never going to work in Fedora 10?
C'mon you can't be serious? I've got little white lines all down the side of my display when I play any flash video or open new web pages.
I can certainly understand they are not ready YET.. but never?? Someone say it ain't so.

If this is the case, I'm outta here. Back to Slackware 12.1 for me, and forget the new hotness...
I still don't believe it. Any other opinions?

-Mike

zecchinhg
30th November 2008, 03:01 AM
I just sit and wait... when I used nvidia 7850 it all went ok. Now i have bought an expensive dual GPU ATI 3870 x2 and it runs quake 3 like I was using and old pentium... It is my fault because I should have researched more and found out that ATI drivers have serious issues with fedora. Give it up. It won't be solved so soon. I don't change my fedora for nothing, since I use it (Red Hat/Fedora/RHEL/CentOS) for more than 10 years and I don't like debian, but slack is fine! My advice: go for it! Luck!

christian_l
30th November 2008, 03:47 AM
Are we saying that proprietary ATI drivers are never going to work in Fedora 10?

I guess they will eventually work. Maybe next month, but more likely the following one. FYI, the current (November) version of fglrx is the first one that actually workes with an unhacked F9.

I haven't tried Leigh's guide yet (tried a similar guide that did not work for me), but honestly, this looks like a much smaller hack than what was neccessary for F9 (downgrading the whole Xorg to the version of F8!), which gives me hope that this time we won't have to wait so long. And yes, the F9 hack was ugly, but it worked, and on my Mobility Radeon 1400 fglrx was finally showing the performance one would expect.

So before setting up a new system, I would just give the workaround a try.

GMScribe
6th December 2008, 07:01 PM
*Shock*

I couldn't get ubuntu to work properly with my monitor but now it's looking like I should have stuck with it!

I really hope the drivers come soon for my 3300HD.

It would be nice for one of the teams to give an update, do you know who will be responsible for brining the proper ATI drivers to F10?

LBCoder
7th December 2008, 12:39 AM
Any use of fglrx (or any proprietary closed source drivers) whatsoever on ANY distro, IS A HACK. If you want to use fglrx, get used to using a hack, because unless they open the source for fglrx (never going to happen, why do you think they're putting $ into the xorg-x11-drv-ati and radeonhd?), then it will always be a hack.

icole
23rd March 2009, 04:27 AM
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H MB which I understand has onboard ATI Radeon video. After installing Fedora 10 I can't set the proper screen resolution and can't get TVTIME to work, some message about a YUY2 driver or something. Will Linux ever get to the point where one can install it and have a prayer of it working without spending weeks and weeks researching and trying things. Are there ATI drivers for Fedora 10 or not? I get lot's of hits searching, but seems nothing ever is resolved. No wonder Microsoft is still the king. I've been using Linux off and on since Redhat 2 or something like that and there's lots of neat stuff added, but installing and getting Linux to work properly with one's hardware has changed little over the many years. There's always the excuse that hardware vendors aren't in bed with Linux like they are with Windows. Maybe if there were just one distribution of Linux hardware vendors would take a greater interest? I'm about at the point of buying Windows XP and installing it instead of Linux. Actually I've installed SUSE and UBUNTU and none fully support the video. Anyway if anyone has found a solution for the ATI Radeon video I'd like to know. Sorry for the rant but it's time the Linux world to wake up.

Danhmiller
25th April 2009, 09:54 PM
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H MB which I understand has onboard ATI Radeon video. After installing Fedora 10 I can't set the proper screen resolution and can't get TVTIME to work, some message about a YUY2 driver or something. Will Linux ever get to the point where one can install it and have a prayer of it working without spending weeks and weeks researching and trying things. Are there ATI drivers for Fedora 10 or not? I get lot's of hits searching, but seems nothing ever is resolved. No wonder Microsoft is still the king. I've been using Linux off and on since Redhat 2 or something like that and there's lots of neat stuff added, but installing and getting Linux to work properly with one's hardware has changed little over the many years. There's always the excuse that hardware vendors aren't in bed with Linux like they are with Windows. Maybe if there were just one distribution of Linux hardware vendors would take a greater interest? I'm about at the point of buying Windows XP and installing it instead of Linux. Actually I've installed SUSE and UBUNTU and none fully support the video. Anyway if anyone has found a solution for the ATI Radeon video I'd like to know. Sorry for the rant but it's time the Linux world to wake up.

I am a new user to Linux because i am trying to learn how to manage Linux servers for a job. I must say that I am perplexed at what you actually want from Linux. It is a user driven FREE OS that is not meant to be a single product of some corporation. Yes there are many things missing from Linux but it is up to us not a big fat cow like Bill Gates to solve them. In this age of "I want it now and i dont care how" Linux is struggling because people are lazy and they want to be spoon feed greasy Microsoft hamburgers rather than laboring for fresh Linux fruits, vegetables, and steaks. If you simple dont have time to labor than maybe you are destined to be a fat Microsoft hooker. No offense bro but we have to fight the system just like the buss strikes back in the days of MLKII. You dont think that that **** was hard for the blacks to walk and car pool everywhere they went. That's what we have to do, figure Linux out ourselves (walking), or getting help from other Linux liberators (car pooling)

icole
25th April 2009, 11:23 PM
I am a new user to Linux because i am trying to learn how to manage Linux servers for a job. I must say that I am perplexed at what you actually want from Linux. It is a user driven FREE OS that is not meant to be a single product of some corporation. Yes there are many things missing from Linux but it is up to us not a big fat cow like Bill Gates to solve them. In this age of "I want it now and i dont care how" Linux is struggling because people are lazy and they want to be spoon feed greasy Microsoft hamburgers rather than laboring for fresh Linux fruits, vegetables, and steaks. If you simple dont have time to labor than maybe you are destined to be a fat Microsoft hooker. No offense bro but we have to fight the system just like the buss strikes back in the days of MLKII. You dont think that that **** was hard for the blacks to walk and car pool everywhere they went. That's what we have to do, figure Linux out ourselves (walking), or getting help from other Linux liberators (car pooling)

First of all nothing that I know of is FREE including Linux:) I've been working with Linux since Red Hat 1. There is all this talk about Linux taking over the desktop and bro it ain't going to happen unles the Linux community get's their act together. I truly would like for it to be a valid threat to MS as competition helps everyone. Now for the Linux community helping. Do you have a solution for me? This is what I'm looking for, the car pool, but it ain't showed up at my door step! Believe it or not the PC has pretty much migrated to the class of an appliance and is expected to be powered on and work, and I don't see that with Linux. The server world is much different from the end user environment. Linux has demonstrated that it is very viable in the server domain. Have fun growing your fruits, vegetables. and steaks. I'm getting old and tired and now like to eat out, so I'd like my Linux restaurant to provide these for me.:) Best wishes and if you happen to run across the solution for my problem please give this old country boy a hand. Could it possibly that Linux is now the system? Seems like that's where my fight is:)

Danhmiller
27th April 2009, 02:46 AM
First of all nothing that I know of is FREE including Linux:) I've been working with Linux since Red Hat 1. There is all this talk about Linux taking over the desktop and bro it ain't going to happen unles the Linux community get's their act together. I truly would like for it to be a valid threat to MS as competition helps everyone. Now for the Linux community helping. Do you have a solution for me? This is what I'm looking for, the car pool, but it ain't showed up at my door step! Believe it or not the PC has pretty much migrated to the class of an appliance and is expected to be powered on and work, and I don't see that with Linux. The server world is much different from the end user environment. Linux has demonstrated that it is very viable in the server domain. Have fun growing your fruits, vegetables. and steaks. I'm getting old and tired and now like to eat out, so I'd like my Linux restaurant to provide these for me.:) Best wishes and if you happen to run across the solution for my problem please give this old country boy a hand. Could it possibly that Linux is now the system? Seems like that's where my fight is:)

ahha dude your the best. It's only once in a while that someone comes back with a reply that makes me reject my previous statement and agree with them. well, your cool in my book. But seriously I also have the same prob with my laptop. It is and ati radion x700 and last time i tried to install the drivers fedora 10 went black after every boot so had to reinstall. but the bonus is while i was reinstalling i learned about LVMs and partitioning with
/
swap
/home
and disc managment

i have currently spent 100+ dollars on tons of book so that i can speed my learning in order to amount to anything in life and get a good job... in the past my childish ways and disinterest with working lost me the love of my life... the only girl I ever loved and now she is in someone else's arms... pray for me guys my life is in shambles and every day I wake up and cry because of the torment of knowing i will never hold her in my arms again..... ug.......fedora forums..... this is where you go to get help with life problems right? I know I know, only Jesus can help me ..... it is what he was wanted to do all my life.... he is so patient.... waiting waiting.... just waiting for me... man he loves us so much guys.... without him..... well lets not even go there. I would be in a living hell that could never be escaped. Praise God and his mercy and grace. He is our shelter.

HMSS013
27th April 2009, 07:52 AM
i wont lie... ATI support for Fedora 10 fell off the map late Feb / early March... things were working fine then one day an update and it broke... and nobody has any answers about how to fix it...

i've spent nearly every waking moment the past month and a half working every fix i can find...

(... i have discovered a 'getting by' solution of freezing the Kernel from the February Respin and a select driver set...)

...but it took weeks to find a combination that worked... and the index of packages compiled for various kernels disappear from repos quickly.

...a parallel situation happened with NVidia drivers roughly 3-4 months into Fedora 9 as well...
sure package/kernel combinations work... but then as the kernels change... those packages are removed from repos making rolling back to functioning modules impossible...

HMSS013
27th April 2009, 07:56 AM
also.... the modules are constantly fighting each other for priority... if you update certain xorg packages it will break your module.

HMSS013
27th April 2009, 08:20 AM
what's more is... i have written a tutorial for ATI functionality using Fedora 10...

...but it requires kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.5 (as found on the February Unity Respin)

but just like all the other working packages we knew and loved... both the torrent tracker file for this respin...and the kernel version itself have been removed from repositories everywhere... never to be seen again.:mad:

...why are we throwing all the working code written over the years away at the drop of a hat?!?! ... we're talking a three month old package here... and it's been obliterated from history!!!!

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/11533800/com/kernel-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.rpm.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^see what i mean ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Achilleas
1st May 2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry to jump in the thread like this but I have a similar issue and didn't want to start a whole new thread for it.

I was using Ubuntu 8.10 until very recently and I went ahead and upgraded to 9.04 without checking for any issues. After the upgrade I found out that my VGA (ATI Mobility x600) wasn't supported by the new fglrx drivers that were required to run the new version of xorg that comes with 9.04.

I was also looking for an excuse to switch to another distro for exploration's sake so now I'm using Fedora 10. Initially I was using the open source radeon driver but I found that the specific driver causes very annoying artefacts on my screen when I have the compositor enabled in XFCE which I really like. So now I just installed the fglrx driver following the instructions in this guide (link to guide (http://djkaos.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/fedora-10-fglrx/)).

Again, I apologise for jumping in the thread with all my backstory up there but I really need to ask:
What do I need to avoid to keep the same thing from happening again (i.e. some sort of update that would break my video driver / display)? Would sticking to Fedora 10 and not upgrading to 11 when it comes be enough? Or do I need to keep xorg from updating when it tries to at some point?

Thanks for any help!

HMSS013
2nd May 2009, 06:58 AM
No hope, friend. Sorry to be your master of demise. Since F9 things wen't wrong. Xorg, ati, radeonHD, fglrx... this stuff is a PITA.

mid Fedora 9 technically....

mostly because Fedora revamped the way x controls the graphical interface... from what i understand.

...giving the kernel more definitive control of the device and phasing out the use of vintage kernel modules.

i expect that this will be a dark 'transition period' for Fedora as regards to graphical devices (namely NVidia and ATI)... but i'm sure that once 11 is well established it will hold promise to put this matter to bed.