PDA

View Full Version : booting problem

paultech
29th November 2008, 04:10 AM
i was trying to alter partition space using windows xp and partition magic 8 (norton), to transfer un-allocated to my windows drive, got an error xmnt2002.exe so rebooted the machine got error code 17 grub loader.

ive got a 40gb hard drive

ive tried using the recovery console on the last screen after choose continue i get, rescue mode, you don't have any linux partitions press return to get a shell..

when i try and do chroot /mnt/sysimage
i get error message - chroot: cannot run command '/bin/sh': no such file or directory

fdisk -l
/dev/sda2 * 1 2229 17904411 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda3 2230 4864 21165637+ f WIN95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 2613 4226 12956422+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 4228 4864 5116671 7 HPFS/NTFS

when going into grub
doing root (hd0,5) does say filesystem type is ext2fs, partition yp 0x83

when doing grub-install /dev/hda
get message /sbin/grub:not found

so to get back into windows use the xp cd recovery console and used fixmbr to get back into windows at least, so is this a lost cause eg wipe out linux and start again??
if anybody can help with this please let me know,

paultech
29th November 2008, 04:15 AM
if you have any questions please let me know since i'll be checking back rather often for possibles

paultech
29th November 2008, 04:22 AM
forgot when inside grub
doing setup (hd0)
checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists...no
checking if "/grub/stage1" exists....no
error 15:file no found

stoat
29th November 2008, 04:44 AM
Hello paultech,

Something makes me think you may have deleted a partition(s) "in front of" the Fedora partition and thereby also misconfigured Fedora's grub.conf file. Boot loaders (all of them) find what they boot by counting partitions. Deleting a partition can potentially change the partition count for a boot loader. If you think that may have happened, then you could try getting back into linux rescue and editing your grub.conf to correct the partition specified in the root command lines in it...
nano /boot/grub/grub.confTo determine with certainty what the Fedora boot partition is, use the GRUB shell find command...
su
/sbin/grubThat starts the GRUB shell and produces a grub> prompt. Then do these at the the grub> prompt...
grub> find /boot/grub/grub.conf
grub> find /grub/grub.confDo both commands. Ignore errors. One or both will give the result which is the Fedora boot partition. Use that to correct the grub.conf.

when doing grub-install /dev/hdaThat never had a chance of working. Since Fedora 7 there is no /dev/hda because the IDE drivers use the same libata driver code as the SATA drivers. All drives since then are in this format: /dev/sdx.

ive tried using the recovery console on the last screen after choose continue i get, rescue mode, you don't have any linux partitions press return to get a shell.Make sure you are using a DVD or CD of the same version that is installed on the hard drive.

P.S.: If nothing above worked, download a Super Grub Disk (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/). It is capable of directly booting the kernel and initial ramdisk bypassing a busted grub.conf file (look for "Boot Gnu/Linux Directly" somewhere in the Basic Menu).

stoat
29th November 2008, 04:46 AM
forgot when inside grub
doing setup (hd0)
checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists...no
checking if "/grub/stage1" exists....no
error 15:file no foundThat may have happened if your system was not mounted to /mnt/sysimage as you hinted, or if you did not chroot to it.

paultech
29th November 2008, 04:52 AM
i forgot to add am using fedora 8
nano /boot/grub/grub.config give me this
sh: nana: command not found

when doing su
su: unknown id: root same when doing su -

grub> find /boot/grub/grub.conf
grub> find /grub/grub.conf
both give error 15:file not found

looks like the hard drive just needs to be remounted but thats just a wild guess atm

stoat
29th November 2008, 05:02 AM
Well, if your Fedora system is not being mounted in linux rescue, then none of those commands will do anything to it or find anything in it. If you still cannot properly get into linux rescue, then consider the Super Grub Disk idea to try and boot the system if it is still capable of booting. Another idea to access the file system is a Fedora LiveCD.

paultech
29th November 2008, 05:17 AM
how would i access the files using the rescue, since am using the cd i installed fedora with

paultech
29th November 2008, 05:20 AM
nearly every section i use on SGD says file not found eg the stage1 file.

paultech
29th November 2008, 05:29 AM
machine hangs at checking if "/lib/grub/i-386-pc/stage1" exists....

stoat
29th November 2008, 05:32 AM
Your entering stuff faster than I can respond. I'll just answer this one now...

nearly every section i use on SGD says file not found eg the stage1 file.If the Super Grub Disk can't find any grub.conf or menu.lst files (even if they don't work), then you may have accidentally deleted your system's boot partition. After all, some partitions are missing in the fdisk report (/dev/sda1, /dev/sda4). If that happened, then the kernels are gone, and it is not bootable by anything. And unless the system has great value, I would ditch it and re-install.

paultech
29th November 2008, 05:36 AM
if i re-installed onto another partition would i still be able to access the files?

paultech
29th November 2008, 06:01 AM
also is there any good programs to read the linux files say via windows xp?