PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 cannot access K desktop

robin108
28th November 2008, 08:51 PM
Hello all, I did a clean install of F10 to replace F7. I installed both Gnome and KDE. F10 boots to Gnome by default, but I cannot switch to KDE. The login screen does not have the 'session' selector button like before. I installed switchdesk and switchdesk-gui via yum, but even though I select KDE as the default in the switchdesk gui the pc still boots to Gnome.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

many thanks
robin

marcrblevins
30th November 2008, 11:52 AM
At the login screen, type in your username, then you should see the Session at the bottom of your screen. Finally type in your password. See it?

robin108
30th November 2008, 03:42 PM
Oi! That location is dumb! The whole login thing is so quick I never noticed there was something at the bottom of the screen. The button should have remained in the login box itself. Aah well, all's well that end's well. Thank you very much for your kind help marcrblevins :)

brutonpc
2nd December 2008, 07:51 PM
I have also clean installed Fedora 10 from an ISO image, but didn't get the option to select KDE. According to a posting by marcrblevins it should be possible to select the session at log-in. In my case the option described doesn't appear at all ..... any ideas?

By the way, the installation was very easy and all works well, including my wireless USB dongle, but I would like to try KDE, which I have used previously.

arttalbert
2nd December 2008, 08:14 PM
marcrblevins said, "I installed switchdesk and switchdesk-gui via yum, but even though I select KDE as the default in the switchdesk gui the pc still boots to Gnome."

brutonpc -You might want to try installing switchdesk-gui.

brutonpc
2nd December 2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you arttalbert I have managed to switch to KDE.

I installed the Switchdesk, but still no go, but this may have been caused by me not having all the right KDE files installed, which I corrected. The other problem was that I was not expecting the "Session" to be on the status line at the bottom of the screen. However, all now seems OK and I look forward to Fedora 10 being able to severely dent Vista.. Sorry, did I say a bad word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!