PDA

View Full Version : Add user to sudoers file (fedora 10)

PCessna
27th November 2008, 02:03 AM
I cannot login as root to use an old tutorial, I am baffled how to do so.

-PCessna

uncholowapo
27th November 2008, 02:18 AM
type:

su -
in the terminal.

PCessna
27th November 2008, 02:26 AM
type:

su -
in the terminal.
What about running a "run" file as root :|

bubazoo
27th November 2008, 04:04 AM
I can't login as root in the gdm in FC10.

I used to be able to edit the custom.conf file and add under "security"

AllowRoot=True

but this doesn't work anymore in FC10, anyone have an idea as to why on this one?
it says something about "authentication failed" I know its the correct password
because I used a proper name on purpose so I would remember the password. I figured
if I used a bunch of random numbers or special characters like it says yer supposed to, I'd
never remember the password, or I'd type it in wrong every time lol

but I know thats not it, because I can su ~ in as root from a terminal without a problem (shrugs)

amisset
31st January 2009, 11:16 AM
You have to add yourself to the "wheel"-group. This group can use sudo to work with root commands.

1. On startup press "a" to give in a command on the boot-command-line.

2. type "linux 1" and press enter. You have to know your root password given at install. Now the system boots in runlevel 1, only root is in the sytem.

3. type "visudo" and enter. Now vi opens /etc/sudoers. Search for the line:

# %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
You can search for a string by typing ":/wheel"

4. delete the # at the start of the line, this uncomments this line and the wheel group is now in use.

5. press esc, then ":" , this shifts vi in command mode, now type "wq!" and press enter, the changes are written. Wq! means: write, quit and != ask no questions/no comments.

6. Now add yourself to the wheel-group: type "usermod -aG wheel your-username" and enter.

Done, reboot the system: type "init 6" and enter.

Now, if you want to perform a root-command ,type "sudo COMMAND" and give your own password. Where COMMAND is the command you want to execute.
If you want to act as root type "sudo su" and give your password, now you are in the system as root ! Be carefull what you do !! Only sudo and command is much safer. If you want to go back to your user, type "exit".

Demz
31st January 2009, 11:54 AM
have a look at Dangermouses Autoten he has a howto in it on how to setup sudoers ..click on the link in my sig