PDA

View Full Version : Bug or new feature in F10?

Divit11
26th November 2008, 05:00 AM
Hi All,

Just put the new F10 i386 version on a little test server by updating over F9. There was little problem with the process. Upon rebooting I got a screen full of GRUB GRUB etc. I used Super Grub Boot Disk to repair that problem. Now after the Grub screen goes to black a white bar with two blue sections that behaves like a progress bar moves alone the bottom of the screen to the right until it connects with the words Fedora 10. Then about ten seconds later the login screen appears and I can get to my Gnome desktop. I miss the details listed during the installation. I had read that the entire startup process was going to be simplified and shortened. For what its worth there does not appear to be much of a time savings during this process. Is this some kind of installation problem or what?

TIA for any guidance.
Divit11

Jordanlw
26th November 2008, 05:12 AM
The loading bar is a feature,
Not sure what your problem is though.

If It's not broken don't fix It!

scottro
26th November 2008, 05:43 AM
It's Plymouth the new feature that doesn't work with some relatively unknown cards, such as Intels. :)

Seriously, this one is specifically covered in the release notes. In many cases, it can be made to work if you add vga=0x318 at the end of the kernel line in Grub, the one that ends with rhgb quiet. (On some netbooks, that has to be changed to 0x315---note that is the numeral zero, not an upper case letter o).

(To those noting sagittar's correction, before editing, I had mistyped it as 0x=318--that, of course, is wrong, and many thanks for the correction.)

It's actually quite a nice graphic. If you prefer to see the boot messages, you can remove the rhbg quit part at the end of the kernel line in grub.
Otherwise, to see boot messages as Plymouth is running, you you can hit the escape key. For me, I've found that that seems to only kick in once it gets to interactive startup.

Divit11
26th November 2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for replying so quickly, Jordanlw and Scottro,

Having grown up in the shadow of Chicago where Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's aphorism "less is more" still has merit I am concerned that a black screen with just a multi colored progress bar looks too unfinished for a distro of this caliber. I am happy, however to know that it was not something I did wrong. Learning about using the ESC key to display the boot process has been a good thing.

I checked the Xorg.0.log and this box has an nVidia NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] card installed and am using the NV driver. Adding the 0x=318 did not appear to make any difference in the display process.

In closing, I've got to say this upgrade was the cleanest and least painful of all the upgrades going back to FC5.

Divit11

sagittar
26th November 2008, 09:14 AM
not 0x=318, but vga=0x318

scottro
26th November 2008, 12:43 PM
Argh--thank you sagittar, I really shouldn't post late at night. I'm going to edit my post to the correct command.

Yentor
26th November 2008, 06:39 PM
workin if adding vga=0x318
how can i do t always start with this command, without adding manually?

Divit11
26th November 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys,

After correcting the grub.conf line to include VGA=0x318 and rebooting, I was not able to notice any real change. So I have gone back to rhgb quiet and will use the ESC key from time to time.

D

Yentor
26th November 2008, 06:43 PM
where is the grub.conf?

hiberphoptik
26th November 2008, 06:46 PM
where is the grub.conf?

/etc/grub.conf

egurski
27th November 2008, 02:21 AM
I had the exact same problem. This solution did not work as all I got when I pressed "ESC" was a choice for which boot drive I wanted.

So, I went back to the installation CD and did an upgrade (again) but this time choose to install a new boot loader, even though I was going to choose Grub again ( I first tried to upgrade the boot loader, but that gave me sthe same problem)....

Rebooted the system and everything went well...

The update went smoothly otherwise...

jim1944
27th November 2008, 02:44 AM
...There was little problem with the process. Upon rebooting I got a screen full of GRUB GRUB etc. I used Super Grub Boot Disk to repair that problem. ....
Divit11
I had same problem. I fixed it by rebooting installation disc1 in rescue mode and:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
I had upgraded from F9 and left default option to upgrade grub.

Jim

itachi
27th November 2008, 12:38 PM
hihi. I've learned a long time ago that it's never wrong to add something like vga=0x318.
In my case it's vga=866 (Nice for my 1366x768 display). Helps most of the Laptops in case of problems with the splash screen. Since then .. it worked like a charm. The Splashscreen in F10 instantly worked after the Distupgrade from f9->f10.

joorab
28th November 2008, 12:58 PM
how should I find the correct vga value
my resolution is 1240X800

scottro
28th November 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think they cover that one. If you look at the mjmwired page at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

joorab
28th November 2008, 06:08 PM
unfortunately it doesn't have my resolution but thanks forgetting back at me

sideways
28th November 2008, 07:03 PM
unfortunately it doesn't have my resolution but thanks forgetting back at me

You can sometimes get a more comprehensive list of vesa modes from vbetest. Install and run as root from a virtual console (ctrl-alt-f2 is the first one in F10). If you find a 1280x800 mode then add 512 to the mode number and use that in vga=xxx parameter (Note, probably won't get full plymouth boot screen though)

crisspybeers
28th November 2008, 11:06 PM
not 0x=318, but vga=0x318

For anyone using a 1440x900 resolution vga=0x365 worked for me.
Also, if you put an improper value in by mistake and it is not recognized (like I did) it will give you an option to hit "enter" to get a list of supported modes.